What kind of style of a player are you?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by unregistered, Jan 28, 2004.

1. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hmm.. juz interested to know what style u people like to play.. for me.. i like to play trick shots and deception... i dun really smash cos im skinny.. hehe

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I hope you stick more to your fundamentals such as good clears, drops and cross courts instead of playing too many "trick" shots, which may bring too many unforced errors to your game. As the name implies "trick" shots are meant to trick your opponent but he will be wise to these shots the more often you reveal to them and you may end up tricking yourself.

Although you may not have a devastating smash, here actually size doesn't count as much as good technique, eg. timing and contact, you should nevertheless employ this and other attacking shots such as the fast drops, whenever possible to put pressure on your opponent and to vary the speed of the game. Using your thinking cap would mean to place the bird away from your opponent; beyond his reach if possible, but not at the risk of hitting out. Give yourself some leeway. Of course, smash into his body also, given the chance.

Don't forget your delicate and sharp slicing strokes can also do much damage to your opponent's game! So less of trick shots may be a better strategy.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    In this wonderful game, variety is the spice of life. Vary the speed of your shots, vary the type of your shots, vary the placement of your shots. Trick shots are well and good if your fundamentals are solid and you use it sparingly. When you become predictable... you lose.

4. SchrodingerCat

SchrodingerCat New Member

looking for one
    my style

I have a conflicting style. I don't like to take charge, but I don't like to be too passive.

5. Spyboy

Spyboy Regular Member

Re: my style

The phrase confused comes to mind! hehehee.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Re: my style

Heh! You sure that's the right description of your style? When I played against you at Collingwood, you seemed very much in charge and not at all passive... unless you count power-smashing numerous times as passive;).

7. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

I would say I'm an attacking player i like to smash, Net kill, drop. my shots i do like to play clears too. i'm not as good at the net.

8. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

I like to play a variety of style. Sometimes I just like to smash, sometimes defensive. I suppose I change depending on my opposition. However, in competition, it has to be aggressive play otherwise, I would loss my fighting spirit and hunger to win the game. After all, competition is for you to show yourself how good you are - gotta give that 110% effort into the game. :)

9. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    All out attack, sort of like Xia Xuan Ze. My blood really gets boiling at the start of a match or when I'm in the mood to play and only a fast paced game can satisfy it, really. I'd smash at every opportunity, jumping up to one if I have the time. I very rarely vary my pace. That applies even if my opponent can return all my attacks. I sort of believe that if I keep at it for long enough then I'd see the light at the end of the tunnel when my opponent runs out of stamina faster than I do.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if I keep at it for long enough then I'd see the light at the end of the tunnel when my opponent runs out of stamina faster than I do.

hoping and planning are 2 differet things:p

11. birdieman

birdieman Regular Member

you should really try to mix it up with other shots such as fast and slow drops, attacking clears, pushes, netshots, and drives. if all you do is smash then your opponent would soon be able to return it with ease.

12. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Very true, but even then things don't always go according to plan. People might try different things when they're in trouble, but I'm just a stubborn so and so. :p

13. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    Haha, well I don't exactly smash for every single shot I play. You didn't expect me to do a cartwheel so that when I'm upside down, I'd do a smash for a clear, did you? ;)
    Of course I'd have to play drives, clears and netshots when I'm not in a position to smash, but I try to make them as attacking as possible to set up for a smash. I've got a decent amount of power and accuracy in my smashes so opponents don't usually have an easy time returning them as decent as possible. I very rarely do net drops when I can smash. Just about the only time when I do them is when I've been caught out of position and I've got to run back in the corners to retrieve the shuttle. When that happens, my opponents usually come to the net and line themselves up to the corner they played their shot in. From there, it's textbook Ji Xin Peng style crosscourt drop and it almost always gives me the upper hand if not the point. :D

14. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Simmilar to unregistered I am a crowd pleaser !!

15. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    I like to play on opponent back hand every oportunity. High clear in back hand mixed with drop shot at the other side of his back hand is my favorite.

I like smashing in corners also. I have a bad habit of tryign to get the shot too perfect (near the line) and that usually cost me a lot of point.

16. typhoon

typhoon Regular Member

student
    Freestyle player

Hum... i guess that my style is ''The Matrix'' Style. hehe, since that my reflex are really good i can catch very easily shuttle thet goes up to 200 km/h. My body reacts very quickly, but since those shots are really fast, i caught them in the wierdess positions ever :eek: I'm an all-around player and i prefer playing singles. My friends hates my killer drops and net kills bcuz i love to play them cross-court. My smashes aren't very powerfull but i manage too control them very good. I don't have alot of stamina :( ( but i'm working on that now :) ) so i can only rely on my speed, reflexes and ''data'' on my opponent that i see during pratice or match.

17. Brave_Turtle

Student
    Typhoon where in Montreal you play?

18. typhoon

typhoon Regular Member

student
    where do i play in montreal?

Since i'm still a normal level player.. i train in many places with my friends from our badminton school team. Feel free to come and play with us ;)

Sunday : I sometimes play at ''Patro-le-Prévost'' at 1pm to 4pm ( cost 4$ and locate on the street Christophe-Colomb and Jean-talon )

Monday : I play in the '' centre des loisirs du parc-extention '' at 6pm to 8pm ( locate near the metro Parc on the street St-Roch )

Tuesday : i usually go to the ''centre claude robillard'' at 5pm to 7pm but since i have the inter-school tournament each tuesday.. i rarely go there that day..

Wednesday : '' centre des loisirs du parc-extention '' at 5pm to 8pm ( locate near the metro Parc on the street St-Roch )

Thursday : ''centre claude robillard'' at 5pm to 7pm (locate in front of '' Aunstic College'' )

Friday : I usually play in the '' centre des loisirs du parc-extention '' at 5pm to 8pm ( locate near the metro Parc on the street St-Roch ) but... My boss told me that maybe there will be no more badminton fridays there anymore....

Saturday : BADMINTON = OFF.... lol

If some of you wants to play with me then message me ;) it will be a great pleasure to play with you guys.

P-S : bring your friends too ^^

19. Brave_Turtle

Student
    he thyphoon I pm'ed u

20. l337v1n337

l337v1n337 Regular Member

Student
    To the people i play with (around my level), I would be an aggressive player for the most part with few drop shots here and there. I have speed on my side.. but ridiculously low stamina.
    To the people I look up to.. i am nothing since I lack speed, power, skills and ofcourse stamina. In the "pro" scenario, I'd be nothing more than a beginner.