Help! T-shirt recommendations other than yonex?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by crazy_smasher, Jan 29, 2004.

1. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

I need to buy some shirts to play badminton.

Wearing yonex shirts will make me feel awkward coz it makes me look like a pro with the skill level of a lousy player :)

So i decided to get some other brand shirts.

However, there are so many different shirt technologies listed below.

Nike dri-fit
    Reebok play fit and coolmax
    Addidas climacool
    Hydromax, coolfit, techno-fit....etc

Anyone tried those types of shirt, please share your experiences on whether any of those technologies can work or not.

Any comments on other shirts of other brand like Asics, mizuno, ashaway, proace are also appreciated. Any recommended shops in Singapore?

:D :D

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have both Nike and Underarmor, both are great and light and sweat-free shirts. Totally satisfied :D

You know what? if you have a sportsmart nearby, you should go there and see all the selections they got. It's huge.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think even none-sports manufactures, like POLO, start to use such material / tech. already. Recently, bought 2 of POLO T-shirts when they were on sale. To my very surprise, they were sweat free and very comfortable for me to run hours in gym. A little bit regretted, as I only got 2, not 5.

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I was told Underarmor makes really nice athletic shirts that draws sweat from your body which is really effective. Most importantly, their apparels aren't that expensive. I know their shirts are only like, 30 CAD, or ~20 USD..

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

the adidas one keeps me fairly dry but makes me feel COLD easily...
    Nike's drifit is about as good as keeping me dry (maybe slightly less) but keeps me warmer when i'm not playing (which i like...)

The constant cycle of hot/cold isn't too good, so you might want to avoid the adidas one if you're playing in a club with lots of on/off cycles.

6. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    on the topic of keeping warm or cold .

BRL, would you suggest the Nike shirt to someone who gets cold really easily? Even though im quite fat, my body gets cold really easily mid-game. I start to feel slugish after the cold sets in, i try my best to constantly move and keep warm, but it usually takes a long time to warm me up. Any suggestions?

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    =News Flash=

Unbranded or lower branded cotton t-shirts that fits the body is as good as those Yonex, Mizuno, ProAce, Reebok etc. The main advantage of using those unbranded/low branded ones includes lower pricing and has as much if not more choices in design and colour as those branded ones.
    The main advantage of the branded ones is that you wear the same shirt, with an extra logo printed or sewn onto the shirt, at an extra cost! Get them at your nearest store today!

:D

Seriously, if you are a recreational player, any cotton t-shirt that keep you cool and dry fast will serve well, regardless of brand.

Even some tournament players I've seen on TV wear simple cotton t-shirts that are comfortable. The only reason why world players wear Yonex is because they're given to them free to wear. Well, they must...

I currently wear a free cotton t-shirt given as part of a gift for purchase of a Bossini apparel to all the games I go to and I simply wished that I had more of these. Fits nicely, as if ergonomically made so that the sleeves and the neck are smaller, that the shirt would move less, making me feel like I wore nothing.

Why not save the money for a better pair of shoes and maybe *cough* for a new racquet... :D

8. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Trunkz, I feel the same way which is why I prefer the Nike over the adidas during the colder months.

Wilfredlgf, there is big difference between cotton and wicking polyester shirts. We sweat a lot in badminton, and a cotton shirt would easily become soaked after a few games. That restricts movement as well as weighs us down. A wet shirt also cools our body when we're not playing, making it harder to warm up again after the break. The price difference between generic cotton and wicking polyester isn't that large either (only about twice as much.) You'd easily spend that much when chosing between low end and high end strings that'd break after a few months. A better shirt help you play better for a much longer time.

The differences between cotton and wicking polyester isn't night-and-day but still noticable, and probably has a bigger effect than a lot of the stuff we spend all day discussing.

9. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    recently bot a U2 polo tee, and it also has this cooling technology...

oh well, as true as what it claims to be...
    it doesn't stick to the body when it get drenched in sweat and it is still relatively light and comfy.

and oh well, it costs only about 20 sing dollars!

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Nike T-shirts (100%) are really good. They are soft and keep you warm. Also, they don't cost very much (16US) and I really think you can go for those.

The one I got is basically for basketball uses, but shirts are shirts......I don't care :)

11. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

Can anyone recommend some places to buy those "wick-away" shirts?

Thanks for all your replies!!! :)

Can anyone recommend some places to buy those nike shirts or similar ones in Singapore?

Shops like eWorld of sports/royal sporting seems like their prices are not so attractive :D

12. QWJr

QWJr Regular Member

but watch out: nike´s "drifit" somteimes contains up to 30 % cotton, sometimes it´s completely made out of polyester!

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I wear the Nike dri-fit shirts and also their skimpy loose shorts. Both excellent, and the shorts are cheap too. So light that I feel naked on court :D

The downside is that I look like a Nike advert.

14. bottleneck

bottleneck Regular Member

sales
    I bought one of these wicking away polyester shirts and in summer when it's hot, like in Taiwan, you could get easily overheated as happened to me, due to your sweat being removed from the body and it has no way to cool it.

15. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    I have 5 this dry-fit technology kind of polo: 1 from Adidas(US$25), 1 from Yonex($20), 3 from five-up(from taiwan, about US$10), I don't feel any quality difference between them. However, compared to 100% cotton t-shirt, the difference is huge, they do make me feel more comfortable and move more easily in the court. So, if you can get the unbranded one as cheap as I got, just go for it, for $10, you can't even buy a cotton t-shirt in US. If you can't get that, then just buy any nike or adidas, $20 is still a very good bargain in my opinion.

16. armortec800

armortec800 Regular Member

"Head" brand as a material made of 40% Polyester and 60% cotton that has the same feel as the Nike, but cost so much cheaper. I bought about 6 pieces of it because i need to change a few times in a play.

Are you guys talking about 70% humidity and summer temperature of 33 degrees Celcius to warrant such attire?

I have a friend that is playing non stop for 2 hours (doubles) and his cotton T shirt is only a little wet patch on his back. No need towel, no need to change to go home.

I wish I have such pores.

17. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    tried most of them...nike plz...you won't regret it...only complaint nowadays, is that nike is worn by EVERYONE, stores stock up on them because they sell, then they have big sales of all the overstocked items... for this reason, I have slowly moved towards adidas, but I still wear nike when i'm in the gym or court and don't give a damn how "cool" i look... and i'm 16 i CARE if i look cool or not...you all did...admit it..

18. lex1437

lex1437 Regular Member

i wear fila all around , its good , boost my ego , makes me look good when i smash , girls shouts, they screams , they drools .. lmao ..
    ahahha ..
    and i OWN a vip fila card , lmao .. 15% all year round and 30% during birthday

FILA owns .
    ahah , recently bought a pair of shoes that is cool looking(max point 2) but it's not really suitable for badminton , ahah , 2 new blisters after a 2 hour match ..
    but what the heck , i look good baybeh .~

ahha , ok , ignore this ..
    most important , short pants above knee NOT BERMUDA'S , shirt not too baggy and not too tight , clothes pulling when u smash isnt a nice feeling + tight fit's make sweat spots in UHUM... doesnt look very nice.
    100% cotton is best.

#18 lex1437, Dec 28, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  19. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Tactic has some really nice shirts.

Similiar to Yonex but half the price.

20. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

any 100% polyester shirt is perfectly fine.
    any brand will do, just as long as the colors look good and it fits well.
    nike, adidas, asics, fila, etc, are all pretty popular.

if you're scared of cooling off easy, just throw on a regular cotton short or longsleave t-shirt right overtop of the polyester shirt when warming up or between games