Where do i play in Montreal?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by typhoon, Jan 29, 2004.

1. typhoon

typhoon Regular Member

student
    Since i'm still a normal level player.. i train in many places with my friends from our badminton school team. Feel free to come and play with us ;)

Sunday : I sometimes play at ''Patro-le-Prévost'' at 1pm to 4pm ( cost 4$ and locate on the street Christophe-Colomb and Jean-talon )

Monday : I play in the '' centre des loisirs du parc-extention '' at 6pm to 8pm ( locate near the metro Parc on the street St-Roch )

Tuesday : i usually go to the ''centre claude robillard'' at 5pm to 7pm but since i have the inter-school tournament each tuesday.. i rarely go there that day..

Wednesday : '' centre des loisirs du parc-extention '' at 5pm to 8pm ( locate near the metro Parc on the street St-Roch )

Thursday : ''centre claude robillard'' at 5pm to 7pm (locate in front of '' Aunstic College'' )

Friday : I usually play in the '' centre des loisirs du parc-extention '' at 5pm to 8pm ( locate near the metro Parc on the street St-Roch ) but... My boss told me that maybe there will be no more badminton fridays there anymore....

Saturday : BADMINTON = OFF.... lol

If some of you wants to play with me then message me ;) it will be a great pleasure to play with you guys.

P-S : bring your friends too ^^

2. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    What school you from?

3. typhoon

typhoon Regular Member

student
    i'm from Georges-Vanier High school. And your from?

4. Brave_Turtle

Student
    George-vanier! You know Chan? I introduced him to badminton^^

I sent you a private message, check it^^

5. reaper

reaper Regular Member

Retired badminton player, LOL =P PRE-MED STUDENT (
    why don't you play at Club Atwater, I heard that's a great place

6. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    And expensive:p....from what I heard at least. Hey typhoon, I actually always go to Claude Robillard on Tuedays and Thursdays. Maybe one day i'll visit those places you mentionned.

7. Brave_Turtle

Student
    Funny, Wai Shing and Typhoon we probably saw or maybe even played each other!

I used to go to Centre-claude-robillard every tuesday and Thursday. Beside, Wai Shing do you know the chinese couple who always play at Centre-claude-robillard? I mean the one who bring all their kids at badminton court, they are very nice person tough.

What racquet are you using? Mp100? I'm tryign to identify people with their racquets :D

8. typhoon

typhoon Regular Member

student
    montrealers

Hey Wai shing !!! do you know Ka shing? you go to louis riel huh? We already played together if thats the case ;) i'm Albert from gv school

9. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    To Brave Turtle: Hmm, there seem to be more than one couple who bring their kids along but I think I know who you're talking about...If you ever go to Claude Robillard again, you can spot me with a Carlton Airblade Kevlar(black/blue racquet) but I'm planning on changing to either a MP 88, AT 500 or a Black Knight hehe. You have a Ti-10 right?

To typhoon: Yup, I know Ka Shing and I know you too but I'm not from Louis-Riel.
    I used to see you there too but I haven't seen you and your other AT 500 bud(Raymond, I believe his name is :D) in quite a while.
    You guys should come more often.

10. iniminimanymo

iniminimanymo Regular Member

Sys/Net Admin
    Hi everyone,

I'm from Longueuil but I play on Monday only at the Westmount High School from 8pm to 10pm - No any high level player but I'm willing to share my technics and knownledge to them ! :D

I also play on Tuesday and Thursday from 7pm - 10pm at McDonald Douglas High School in St-Hubert. Many high level players and quite competitive.

And I sometime plays on Sunday at Andre Laurendeau High School from 1pm-3pm. Hardly any high level player except my friend.

Cheers!

11. Brave_Turtle

Student
    Hey inimini, do we have to pay at all these places?

12. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Question, why hasn't this post been moved to the Places to Play Forum yet?

13. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Moderators have fallen asleep! Kwun working too hard, Mag stuck in snow dump and Cheung busy working on an vaccine for Chicken Flu. :D

14. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I just went to Club Atwater last Saturday and they ARE expensive, I hear the membership is ~$1000+CAD/year and then you have to pay extra if you wanna play badminton, if you want coaching add another $100CAD/4 months. I went in as a guest and had to pay $15CAD + tax, crazy. But the place does look nice inside, it's more like a hotel than a sports center, they've got weight rooms, sauna, there's even a wide screen TV in the lounge, everything carpeted even the changing rooms, and get this--no lockers, people there are so trusting. The washrooms are equipped with razors, blow-driers, towels, toothpaste, etc.

They're mainly a Squash and Badminton club.

I was actually looking forward to watching good players play as I've heard that they've got A and elite level players there but the courts were emtpy that day, all 5 courts. They provide the birdies too, all feathers.

Overall, the place is quite classy but for my badminton needs--recreational, I wouldn't go back there. I play in the Guy-Favreau YMCA.

15. iniminimanymo

iniminimanymo Regular Member

Sys/Net Admin
    Brave Turtle,

Yes, unfortunately...Nothing come free these days...

16. Brave_Turtle

Student
    Hi,

Inimini what are the cost and what is the schedule? Silentlight what are the cost and what is the schedule?

17. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Um, if you mean the Y, the monthly fee is around $45.50+tax, if you're a student it's $32+tax but you can apply for financial assistance in which case if you're accepted it's half price of the regular fee.

Once you're a YMCA member though, you can go to all YMCA branches, not just the one you applied to. The Guy-Favreau YMCA has 3 dedicated badminton courts with abrasive rubber flooring which I really like unlike the common slippery wooden floor. You can play badminton anytime you want but there are a lot of people at night and at weekends so it's better if you reserve if you intend to play at those hours. Read http://www.ymcamontreal.qc.ca/ for more information.

The downtown YMCA also has badminton times but as I no longer go there, I don't know the schedule as they use the same gym for basketball, volleyball, etc.

Oh yeah, I also play badminton with my friends sometimes on the weekend at Dawson College on Saturdays from 9am-12pm or at ETS (Ecole Technique Superieur near Bonaventure metro) on Sundays the whole day I think. Dawson is $7/day or a semester membership of $18 if you're a student. ETS is $5/day or a semester membership of ~$100 but you can play everyday I think.

Ahuntsic is $6/day for outsiders on Saturdays, they're open on Fridays and Sundays too I think but I don't know how much as I never went there on those days.

And I don't know if they still have free badminton in Vanier College every Fridays from 3 to 6pm.

Oh yeah, you can also play at Concordia University (Loyola Campus) on Sundays from 7 to 10pm I think, I went there a few times about a year ago. I think it was $2 for students or $25 for the semester.

#17 silentlight, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  18. frendies

frendies Regular Member

medical
    Where to play in Montreal

To reserve courts at YMCA Guy-Favreau for weekday evenings, you have to call two days in advance and gotta call before 7 am. Otherwise, all courts are taken. hehe
    But even without a court, most players are nice enough to let others play.
    For daily passes is around 12$ I think (last year, it used to be $7 if you went with a member)

For schedules at ETS, check http://www.etsmtl.ca/zone3/saps/index.html

At College Ahuntsic, lots of people on Fridays evenings. It's $4 for students.

There is also McGill $6 or $8
    UQAM $8 or $9
    UDM ... way too expensive. =/

19. hong

hong Regular Member

Engineer
    montreal

wOw didn t know that there was so much montrealers here. i used to play alot at the ymca guy-favreau. Now I mostly practice with the mcgill varsity team and at ahuntsic. during the summer i also go to centre claude robillard so...maybe i ve seen some of u guys. pm me and we can play sometimes

20. Brave_Turtle

Student
    I play at ahunstic too, what do you look like?