Living in Japan - Need Upgrade from NS2000

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Eclipse3Echo, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Eclipse3Echo

Eclipse3Echo New Member

Tecaher
    I’m looking for a racket recommendation for my next badminton racket. I currently live in Japan and play badminton with my JHS kids 3 times a week, small group, and mainly for fun, nothing serious. I usually play with one of my kids since we are about the same level in singles, and sometimes doubles with the parents. I currently own a Nanospeed 2000, maxed at 22lbs but feel I need more power. Arm strength isn’t really there, although I am 3 weeks into P90X so hopefully should be able to build up more muscle. I would consider myself average, I won my towns parents tournament last year, granted my town is super small and the parents used to play badminton, lol. I have trouble with clears, especially when scrabbling to the back left corner which is my weak spot. Style of play is mainly defensive, as I am still learning, but starting to pick up placement in regards to my opponents position, and would like to get better at smashing. Goal is to get better while helping out my JHS kids, will be here in Japan for at least another 2 years, and would like to maybe join a community casual league when I return back to Denver. I like what I have now, but just feel I need more power.

Money isn’t really an issue, as most of the high-end rackets have a small difference in cost/yen. I would like to stick with Yonex as I live in Japan and its everywhere. I was looking at the Nanorays, any recommendations? Z-Speed, 800, 750, ArcSaber FB, 11, Z-Slash. Should I go all out and get the Z-Speed? Also string type recommendations?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have seen really skinny guys pack power smashes. So really, I would try for technique for power rather than too much emphasis on muscle mass.

3. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

I'd agree. Not trying to be the guys who keep saying, technique>everything, but I noticed when I started playing badminton (3-4 years ago) I gained little/no muscle yet my smashes and other shots got much faster.

Anyways, try getting a more flexible racket, this should help with the power part. Since you're still learning and you don't have those explosive hits, I think this feature of the racket will benefit you. As for you preferences of having a defensive racket, ARC FB is a good from the list, but I believe that one is stiff. For smashes it's Z-Speed or Z-Slash from the list, but again both are stiff and will be hard to learn the game with.

I would recommend the Nanoray 700 or 750, since Nanorays are head-light and these models are medium flex.

4. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Depending on your level and technique, different racket works for one person might not work for you...

having said that, since you have been playing badminton for a while now, and placement of shots are important to you, I do not recommend any of the flexible shaft rackets (targeted for low level players/beginners)

One of the most powerful combo of racket and strings I have used was my Gosen Ryoga Issen with Gosen R4x Momone strings at 27lbs... For a head heavy racket, the Issen has lightning fast maneuverability and great control...

Another deadly combo I have used for some time is my Gosen Ryoga Shiden with Yonex BG-66 Ultimax at 28lbs... This racket is a monster in terms of power, and accuracy as long as you are adjusted to the small sweetspot and the oval frame as well as the ultra stiff shaft... From the level you currently are at, I do NOT recommend this combo..

A GREAT easy power combo is my Yonex NanoRay 700RP with Yonex BG-66 Ultimax at 25lbs... Very easy to use racket, very easy power, and the stiff shaft is still a bit flexible enough for whip shots... HIGHLY recommended!!!
    (Though do not use this racket for doubles as many members on this forum claims that their 700RPs are broken with just one clash, though I have yet to break mine, Your Miles May Vary)

Voltric 70 is yet another great racket with a stiff shaft and a slight more head heavy head, paired with NBG-98, BG-66UM, BG-65Ti are great combos...

If you want a large sweetspot, you can also get a Yonex Ti-10 3rd gen or Limited 3UG5. Though itmay be a bit stiff, but it has a big frame with large sweetspot for easy smashes and powerful clears... The racket handling might be a bit slow for smash defenses... Yonex MusclePower 99, 88, 77 are also great options if you can find a shop that still sells them, and just like the Ti-10 Limited/3rd gen, they has a large isometric frame and big sweetspot...

Okay here is the last ULTIMATE racket + string combo that works for me... The racket may be sold out outside of Japan, but in Japan, via Yahoo Auctions, Rakuten, Amazon JP sellers, it is still available.

it was the Gosen Ryoga Ougi Limited Edition racket 3UG5 with Gosen R4x Momone or Gosen R4x 100 strings at 25lbs to 27lbs... This is a slight easier to use Shiden with same small frame like he Shiden, but isometric and larger sweetsport. Also the Ougi is not as stiff as the Shiden, so it may take off some burden for you if your wrist is not strong enough. And all the benefits of the Shiden like thy fast handling, fast swing speed, accuracy are all there... Simply the best racket for me anyways. It is also the most expensive...

What might be the ultimate combo for me might not be for you, so you may want to head over to the local HS badminton clubs and try out a few of the students' or players' rackets...

Hope this helps.

5. gy79bc

gy79bc Regular Member

programmer
    Try NR750. It's very helpful for clearing. Also, much power full than NS3000
    It's headlight toward even, medium flex. Or try ARC9FL, 3FL.

In the meantime, skill wise adding for arm pronation in your hit, you will see immediate improvements.

6. Eclipse3Echo

Eclipse3Echo New Member

Tecaher
    Awesome guys, thanks for the replies, yeah, need to work on my technique but would like to upgrade my beginner racket to something that will help me get there. I think in the end I would like to stay on the defense side, since my purpose atm is to help my JHS kids, but need a touch more support with clears and smashes. So it looks like the suggestions are NR700RP NR750 NR800, difference between the 3?
    Also saw a sweet looking ARC11 LE Taufik Hidayat at the store last night, came this close to buying it but remembered I needed to research first, haha.

7. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    If muscle mass were the key, body builders would mop the floor with us in singles and doubles. As repeated many times on BC, it's not the muscles or fancy rackets. Just practice the proper technique over and over. I can't guarantee it will turn you into the next <fill in your favorite idol here>, but I can guarantee it will improve your game play.

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think if somebody gets trouble with clearing the person should lower tension, get a heavier racket and get proper technique. This might be sound a bit harsh but people with just average but right technique shouldn't have problems with effortless clearing.
    The OP has problems to clear from the left (around the head or backhand side for a right hander). So fast and good footwork will be one half for a good stroke.

#8 ucantseeme, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  9. Magicmeatbag

Magicmeatbag Regular Member

Landscaping
    Technique has to do a lot with badminton. But finding that racket that just fits your game is priceless.

http://badminton-coach.co.uk/4698/yonex-nanoray-600-badminton-racquet-review/

Here is a review I just found as I'm sorta in the same boat. Wanting a yonex and a headlight defensive/all rounder in a racket now. Working hard on footwork, backhand and fitness at the moment because those are my glaring faults.

Edit : As for strings try the Nanogy 99 and Zymax 65. Did a lot of research and I'm going to try those on my new rackets. No idea what tension though but I'll be trying mine at 22-24 pounds.

2 cents /shrug :)

#9 Magicmeatbag, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. Eclipse3Echo

Eclipse3Echo New Member

Tecaher
    Thanks for the comments yall. Went with the NR750 3U with BG-66 Ultimax at 24. So far, I like it, alot better than my NS2000. I’ve only messed around with it for 2 practices so well see how it goes, but so far, I think it’s a great upgrade, I can definitely feel the difference, thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it.

11. Magicmeatbag

Magicmeatbag Regular Member

Landscaping
    Congrats on the new racket!

Just for giggles though how does it compare to the NS2000? More stiff? more headlight/headheavy? Balanced? More power? etc.