Movie, late nights and sitting in the rain inspiring for shuttlers

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by angker, Jan 29, 2004.

1. angker

angker Regular Member

The Star Online > Sports
    Friday January 30, 2004

Movie, late nights and sitting in the rain inspiring for shuttlers

PORT DICKSON: They braved the rain at the shore, stayed up late into the night, endured strenuous activities and watched “The Last Samurai”.

And the national singles badminton players came away fresher and inspired after the three-day mental training camp organised by the National Sports Council (NSC) and the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

The 17 players (seven women and 10 men) looked fired up and vowed that they would strive to be better players this year.

National singles chief coach Misbun Sidek, who took charge of the team last year, had been slightly disappointed with the attitude of the players in recent times.

“I hope this camp will make a difference. I have observed what had been going on in the national training centre over the last one year and it is not all that satisfactory,” said Misbun.

“Our players fear their opponents and give them too much respect. And when they lose, they do not feel remorse or regret. They feel disappointed but after a while, their defeat means nothing.

“They must change this attitude. They must be brave and strong. Their heart and soul must be in badminton. Hopefully, this camp will fuel the fire in them, especially with this being the Thomas Cup Finals and Olympic Games' year,” he added.

National number one and the World Championships runner-up Wong Choong Hann, the team captain, gave the camp the thumbs up.

“For some of us, it was refreshing. For the juniors and first-timers, it was a new experience. The camp brought us together. It will certainly help us to be mentally prepared to face the challenges throughout this year,” said the 27-year-old.

Eighteen-year-old Anita Kaur, who had been invited to join the national women's singles team as a probationer just two weeks ago, said it was an eye-opening experience.

“I have never attended a camp like this. I am new in the national team but this outing certainly helped me to get to know my teammates better. I cannot forget the “banana-boat ride” ... we were just thrown off into the sea and I was so scared ? but it helped me to be tough. Now, I feel more confident of myself,” said Anita, from Kuala Lumpur.

Other than Anita, the other women players were Wong Mew Choo, Wong Miew Kheng, Woon Sze Mei, K. Sugita, Ooi Yu Hang and Lai Khai Ping.

Besides Choong Hann, the other men singles who attended the camp were Lee Chong Wei, Lee Tsuen Seng, Yeoh Kay Bin, Kuang Beng Hong, Mohd Hazwan Jamaluddin, Tan Zhao Rong, K. Yogendran and Hashim brothers Roslin and Hafiz.

2. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    It is good to having this kinda camp ..