Screaming shoulder pain - Voltric 80

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by animatrix, Nov 12, 2013.

1. animatrix

animatrix Regular Member

motion graphic artist
    Never had this shoulder pain before until I just tried the Voltric 80 for the first time.
    In the past, I've used a lighter racquet particularly Armortec 500 on a regular basis.
    I'm not sure if all those years I was able to get away with inaccurate techniques or if my body was in shock after using a heavier head frame racquet for the first time, but in any case my top shoulder(at the joint) pains like crazy. I can barely move my shoulder up.

I'm now debating if I made a mistake in getting the VT80. Wondering if I should give it a few more tries(after my shoulder is rested) or fear of recurring the same pain again.
    Or should I sell it and go for a less stiff racquet.

I like to hear your feedback or suggestions.

2. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I've had similar problems over the last few years so I switched back to mid balanced rackets which seemed to ease the problem. I was using head heavy yonex and victor rackets and i when I started getting the shoulder pain. Try resting your shoulder and give it another try but if the problem continues then consider changing your racket. Sometimes reducing string tension can ease the problem too.

3. heeroyuy

heeroyuy Regular Member

There are many things that can cause your shoulder pain besides the HH racquet, like high string tension, bad technique and your playstyle (offensive/normal/defensive). Age can be another factor as well, especially with the joints area.
    You probably just need to get used to the HH racquet for few weeks.
    Make sure you have a good 5-10 minutes warm up (which is important but many people tend to forget) before playing, and go easy with your smashing for the next few badminton sessions.
    Hope this gives you encouragement with your VT80 and good luck! :)

4. arsenal79

arsenal79 Regular Member

VT80 is a great racket if you could handle it. Try to reduce the string tension and incorporate some strength training. If nothing work after 3 months, sell it :rolleyes:

5. animatrix

animatrix Regular Member

motion graphic artist
    Thanks. I should mention my VT80 is a 3UG4 and strung with BG80 at 23lbs. I don't think 23lbs is considered that high but I will say it is different than my regular Armortec 500 which is 2UG5, strung with BG65 at 22lbs.

I never experienced this kind of pain before so can a switch to new racquet cause such a sudden shock to the body? I heard stories about head heavy racquet, stiffness, etc, but I didn't think it would happen to me so dramatic. I will give it a few more tries but I'm definitely taking it easy for now.

6. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Maybe it's not only the tension.
    BG80 is a very "hard" string that doesn't absord much shock.
    Even grip tape is a factor. Are you using the same grip tape as on the Armortec 500?
    Thicker grips will absord more "shocks".

Get your arm/shoulder used to the new swing weight and don't give up after a few times of play.
    Good luck!

7. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

it is impossible to give accurate advise based on a short paragraph in the OP. but to venture a guess, incorrect hitting technique more than any other factor such as equipment or overuse, is the most likely culprit. with correct biomechanics, a change in equipment like switching to HH racket would affect the quality of your shot production more than cause injury. especially where the string tension noted isnt very high at all, even with a harder feeling string like bg80. seen too many people muscling their shots and causing injury to the rotator cuff - that is a painful injury.

rest. rest. rest. then invest in some lessons from someone knowledgeable. this post in no way replaces advise from a certified medical professional.

#7 wannaliquorbox, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  8. animatrix

animatrix Regular Member

motion graphic artist
    I added an additional layer over the grip so it feels more drier and the overall grip is even slightly bigger than my Armortec 500. I noticed several times playing the new VT80, I had some vibrations on some mishit or mistimed shots? Certainly more noticeable than my AT 500.

It is probably combination of all the changes in my new racquet but I suspect not used to a head heavy frame might have a lot to do with my injury. It's frustrating cuz I only used it once and I'm already on the disable list and never experienced such a dramatic injury.

9. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

seems OP already decided what he wants to hear. good luck with your recovery.

10. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Would there be a chance that your VT80 is faked.

11. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    stay away from z-force then...

12. visor

visor Regular Member

whoever is telling him to keep playing and just get used to it... is doing him a serious disservice...

13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

This!!

Not all rackets are suited for every player. I play a VT80 with BG80 @30lbs and do not have problems with my shoulder. But my technique is quite good and I never had any problems with my shoulder. Anyway, what is good for me, must not automatically be good for other players.
    There are like 34826489 rackets on the market, I would go and look for another one. If you don't like/can't handle a racket, go and get another one.

14. Magicmeatbag

Magicmeatbag Regular Member

Landscaping
    I have shoulders problems too. It's not the socket though but its the muscles. Work em too hard and i get sharp pains especially when smashing. But I think you should use a different string other then BG 80 because I use bg 85 on a VT-60 clone and the string was hard as hell. Racket itself absorbs no shock either so it's a double whammy.

But I've tried a VT-70 and VT-ZF (( non clone )) at my club and the ZF was probably the best racket I've tried in absorbing shock. It had Zymax 67's at 26 pounds.

If the head heavyness of any racket really is the problem try taking a heavy coin, taking off the grip of your racket first then taping the coin on the bottom of the racket. Then put the grip back on. This will change the balance point slightly but makes the racket slightly heavier. It's what I did with that VT-60 clone as it was WAAY to head heavy and hurt my wrist and shoulder when doing backhands. The BP was 315 ish and now is 288mm and now that the bg-85 strings settled in it's pretty good to play with now even though off center hits still produce shock for me.

If those 2 things don't work then I think it would be time to get a new racket :(

2 cents /shrug.

#14 Magicmeatbag, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    With any new racquet or strings, one needs to work things in gradually. It's not sensible to expect to play to your normal game with new equipment. So, with a new racquet or different strings or even both(!), play at about 80% level for at least 2 to 3 sessions.

16. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Just my two bits worth, but it seems like everyone is quick to put blame on the equipment like the racket or the strings etc.... when in reality there is not a significant difference in all these factors.

Perhaps you should investigate the obvious and visit your doctor to have an x-ray or ultrasound done on the shoulder. Its possibly something as simple as a bone spur on your shoulder which is more common than you might think.

I knew someone who felt pain on his shoulders and even thought he tore some ligaments as it felt like a bad shoulder muscle strain, but it was a bony growth under the muscle and ligaments that was scraping against it everytime he tried to raise his arms upwards for a smash....

Dont throw away that racket yet... LOL