Hawk 15

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by TQuach98, Jan 29, 2004.

1. TQuach98

TQuach98 Regular Member

ok, i've been reading aruond this forum a lot and i've seen that there are a few threads that say that this racquet stringer isn't great because of its 2 point mounting system but i'm looking for a cheap way to string my racquet(and not satified w/ the amount of responses on this machine), because i hate driving all the way to a badminton store (across town) and paying around $20 to have my racquet strung. This stringer is only $65 and I was wondering how many people actually have these types of stringers (Hawk 10,15,20) and if they are decent for stringing a badminton racquet. I'd like to string MAX 25lbs but will usually string around 23ish. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I just want something to get the job done w/o breaking my racquet. I was thinking about getting the Eagnas Easy-3 ($209), but then again... i'm probably not going to string my racquet often.. (Probably about 2-3 racquets every 3-4 months) so i'd rather spend my money on something else :)Thanx for ur help!

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    You have to consider carefully before sinking down a sizable investment in a stringing machine. I have entertained thoughts of getting one myself after witnessing sloppy work done by lesser experienced stringers, but have brushed it aside to focus on finding a regular stringer I could rely on. Cost is a big factor because I have to consider not only the initial cost, but also costs incurred by the learning curve.

Of course, once you get real good, you can make some money on the side by stringing for friends. However, it will take a long time before you get good skills and reputation as a stringer. My respect goes to the diligent stringer who spent long hours and care doing his work, but I don't think I will be one in the near future. You better enjoy stringing if you are gonna get into it.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. 2 point support system is safe for anything less than 26lb (of course, if u r skillful and careful enough, it should be higher) with correct technique.

2. The main downside for 2-point drop weight machine is not the quality, is the speed. However, if for self usage, i don't see any problem.

3. Some old thread questions about Eagnas' machine/tools quality. Some complains.

4. Number of BFers using Klipper M140, which is more expenisve (US$155+shipping) but superior in quality with superior life time warranty. www.klipperusa.com

5. Learning about stringing could take some time. Need some practice (recommand use cheap racket + cheap string for practice first) as well as patience.

4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I had the Hawk 15 for a while, and for it is, I certainly think it is at least adequate for the job. I've strung up to 25lbs on that machine before without too much problem. The frame is gonna wrap a bit when you pull on the string with high tension (23 - 25lbs range), so keep an eye out for that. Also, the string gripper will gouge the string if you are careless / sloppy with your tensioning.

-Rick