I challenge YOU!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jencon13, Nov 15, 2013.

1. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

To find me something more annoying in badminton, than a partner who is not only slow.. but has no clue towards doubles footwork. I can deal with slow/bad/lazy/crap serve... but people who don't know doubles footwork, or should i say "positioning" takes the cake for me. What about you guys :) ?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What do you mean byfootwork positioning? Do you mean things like left foot forward instead of right etc.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah I know what you mean about positioning. Most singles players make absolutely awful doubles players in that aspect. ;)

4. Optimal

Optimal Regular Member

Self employed
    The guy I play singles with is quite good, when we partner its quite shocking how poor his awareness is sometimes. He's taken out two of my rackets and hit me in the mouth, I think player awareness is mightier than footwork (in doubles)

The most annoying thing for me is players that stand to close to you when you serve, I'm to nice to say anything :([​IMG]

5. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Oooh pretentious much?? Well I'd venture that its far more 'annoying' to play with someone who thinks that he is the best player in the world and has a god given right to judge others based on their badminton skills or lack thereof. One needs to remember that however good you think you are, there's always someone whos a hundred times better than you (unless of course you are in the top ten of the world). So unless and until I am cai yun or LYD or their likes, I'd be a bit more humble and try and explain to the partner his mistakes. If he still does not mend, well I can always just play with someone else. That way I'd look less like a pompous douche and actually have fun, since thats the only reason I play badminton in the first place.

6. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I play recreational so I do see a lot of the positioning issues. It's just a matter of taking some time to explain where someone should be and the reasons behind it. I am generally in the right positions but can be out of position during a fast exchange and long rally. If you watch the pros play, even the pros get mixed up in being in the wrong place or slow to get there.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

I don't think OP or our opinions are pretentious. During a semi competitive high intermediate fast doubles game, there's really no time to talk it out. Perhaps afterwards a couple of pointers here and there.

I suppose we all started out as beginners who did the same too and gradually gained experience with years of play, and watching countless hrs of pro games on youtube. That's the fun thing about doubles, it's like a dynamic physical chess game. You're trying to outmaneuver your opponents while they're also trying to do the same.

8. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i just fart and they get the idea :p

9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    ...that you want to play singles? :)

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is always a taller mountain.

if you think your partner has crap footwork?

someone else will think you have crap ____ .

and someone else will think they have crap ____ .

fill in the blanks. :)

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Sounds familiar... that's how I console myself about those few people who I can never seem to beat. :)