Women's string tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Wizbit, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    We often talk about tensions of our own equipment, and often compare it with those of the professionals.

We know, from various sources and stringers at events that the professional male players string at an average of 30lbs tension, some even up to 40lbs!!!

But no one seems to have mentioned what tension the top female players string at. I am sure we would be equally interested in knowing what tension Camilla Martin, Zhang Ning, Ra Kyung Min, Gao Ling and others use.

Of more interest however, is that the level of play of the women would probably be nearer to us amateurs than with the men. Not to say the women are weaker, but I hope you understand my point.

Could some one/people shed some light on this topic?

Incidentally, how many non professional female players you know, talk about string tension?

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

I don't want to sound sexist but I think we can assume that professional women players are weaker than the top level men players. With this considered, my opinion is that they are all still superior to us amateurs, i guess depending on what we characterize an amateur to be. I believe this because many of us don't think/ strategize as well as the women at that level and due to this, that is already a level downgrade for us.

On the topic about string tension, I can't comment about the string tensions of international women players, instead I can comment on the string tension on the racket of some women I know (some play A level tournaments). Of the friends I talked to, it seems that many string at 24lbs to even 28 lbs. Of course these aren't Camilla Martins or Zhou Mis, and if I had to take a wild guess, I'd say the international women players string at quite a high tension.

3. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

Camilla Martin: 26-28 lbs

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I think the top women wouild easily beat us amateur men.
    Probably in all departments:
    Fitness, speed, deception, consistency, smash speed/angle, net play, etc.

it depends on how amateur you mean.
    I expect there are Chinese non-international men who would easily beat the top women. But would you regard them as amateur?

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I tend to agree with Neil. The main difference is our status. The ladies are professionals and their work is to train regularly just as we have to hold our daily jobs. I'm sure they are far fitter than us amateurs and in many aspects of the game as Neil has described.

Have you ever partnered a Chinese lady ex-international before? I have, about three years ago with a coach who was in her early thirties and she was doing all the right things and helping me go through my paces. Naturally we won against two young men players in their twenties who were considered very good. Maybe an older lady may not be that good.

But it did not strike me then to ask about the tension of her strings.

6. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Wizbit,

Come along to the coaching session next weekend with Sara Sankey.

She'd wipe the floor with anyone at our club. :(

7. synkro

synkro Regular Member

Hmm I must say that....40 lbs on a racquet is pretty hard to believe...even on the metal frame racquets. If a racquet could hold that tension, the power that the professional players smash at would either snap the strings in a few hits or collapse the racquet.

But yes realistically speaking, women have the capacity of achieving the same strength as men if they trained enough, but that's doubtful. I know that Lily Zhou uses about 29lbs+ the last time I asked.