VT70 Advice

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by coleby, Nov 16, 2013.

1. coleby

coleby New Member

Hi guys, new to the forum. I have been looking to upgrade from my current racket for a while now, I have been reading reviews and specs on a range of rackets (although mainly Yonex as I would like to stay with them) I have recently ordered a VT70 and only now have I stumbled across this forum, I am gutted I didn't get to ask for some advice first. Anyway I have only got back into badminton recently after a few years away, previously I was playing at a decent intermediate level. My strengths are my power and smashes and general attacking play, this is why I chose the VT70 after reading various reviews. However given that the weaknesses to my game are my touch around the net I am now thinking I should have gone for a racket that would have helped that side of my game, something that is a little lighter and a bit more flexible, Im also worried that a racket like the VT70 would limit my game a little given the head heaviness of it? Ive not taken delivery yet so I would hope to be able to change if necessary. Any recommendations or peoples experience using the VT70 would be great

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Yeah it should be good enough, the head heaviness should help with your clears and smashes, it is rated medium flex I think it would be great for you. You should have tried out someone's racquets first before ordering though

3. visor

visor Regular Member

VT70 is not that head heavy. Also not that stiff. Should be fine.

To get better touch you can try some strings that are known for touch / feel. Eg. VS850, ZM62, BG66UM etc

4. Team Jahan

Team Jahan Regular Member

Pilot
    I am currently using a VT70 myself, and just let me explain a couple of things.

Pros :
    - Though it may be slightly head heavy, imho pretty much the best balance in weight distribution for people who wants a better all rounder game compared to VT80 and VTZF.

- Dont be deceived by the " Medium Stiffness ", this thing can generate a whole load of power, and to add on, much easier to generate power than VT80 and VTZF. (Unless we're talking about you having expert technique on hand)

- Because it " feels so light ", it moves through the air so quickly and therefore making it so easy to handle.

Cons :
    - Unlike the VT80 and VTZF, " Recommended max string tension " for this racquet is 24lbs, imho for a high end series, Yonex should have at least made this 27lbs. This may not appeal to the Super hard hitters.

- The racquet is made sorta thin on the shaft, and therefore might be prone to cracks, dents, breakage etc...

- For a racquet that isnt the flagship model for the VT Series, its retailing for quite expensive.

Conclusion
    Im not going to deny it is a really good, in fact one of the best all rounder racquets Yonex has ever made and so far it has not given me any problems and im enjoying it. It is definitely super underated due to the increasing population from VT80 and VTZF. I think Yonex got this one just right.

my setup - 4UG5, BG 85 at 22lbs.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    when i use my 4ug4 with victor vs850 @ 24x25, it was just right, and somehow it felt as if it's similar to the victor bravesword 11.

anyway, what the previous post mentioned was spot on, it's a great racket with a very very suitable balance for me :)

6. disci

disci Regular Member

this is only recommended tension. the frame of this racket can easily take 30lbs without issue.
    all voltric frames are built pretty sturdy.

7. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Hi coleby

Owning a 3u VT70 myself, I must say it's a great attacking racket. If u r worrying that this head-heavy racket may not perform well on the net, u could either do two things:

1. Adjust ur play stroke at the net. If need be, come up with a new stroke for that net kill.

2. Use higher tension (by bout 2 lbs) to improve ur racket control at the net. However, ur mid n rear court game might b affected by this. The key here is to reach a compromise between what u want to achieve n what u r willing to give up, that is between control or power.

Hope that helps...

8. klumpjo

klumpjo New Member

Officiial
    Hi,
    I have been playing for 2 years now with VT70 U4G4. I also owned for a couple of months a 3UG3. I much prefer the U4G4 and sold therefore the 3U. So far I have not come across a raquet that would suit me better. I am also occasionally playing with a XFeel Lite, which I bought for my doubles but the VT70 is almost as quick as the XFeel Lite. The VT70 is a pretty allround raquet and easy to play, also difficult shots (for me) like backhand clears are fairly easy. I noticed though that with a Nanoray 700 RP clears were even easier.
    I play usually with BG66UM at 10/10,5kg tension (must be something like 22 to 23 lb)
    Johannes

9. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

How good is VT70 3U compared to VT i-Force (...like.. 5U or something?) ?? I mean, could they both take 28Lbs without any worries? I play double on occasional clash with other amateur partners. My string preferences either BG66, BG80P, or NGB99. I'm considering ARC-FB but most reviews say the racket is as crispy as LAYS potato chips! Meanwhile Nanoray Z-Speed is excessively over-priced and underrated performances!

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

a player of my team plays VT70 with 32lbs. never broke a racket. the frame can take that.

(of course, neither yonex nor i do give warranty in case you string 32lbs, this is just an anecdotal note...)