Pro players removing their sweat between the rallies!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by London_Player, Nov 20, 2013.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Been watching a lot videos of recent top tournaments Tv and on Youtube, and often I've seen players wiping their sweat by hand from their face and forehead onto the side of the court. It looks awful and I'm sure if Tennis players were seen by public and viewers on TV, doing that, they'll disgusted. Empires should give them towel break, and not allowed to drink or to replace their non-broken racket but just to towel down quickly and remove sweat.

There are other times I've seen international players changing rackets between rally but their rackets were not broken and kept the opposing team waiting, while they chose their rackets. It's all unnecessary and disturbs the game.

What do you guys think?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Still way better than a certain top singles players clearing their nose by the court side. And it's not LCW. ;)

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

to be polite, I think you're being silly re the sweat wiping/flicking.

Tennis players are allowed a towel between EVERY point. Badminton players are not...

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Do we need towel boys and "ball" boys like tennis?
    To me that aspect of tennis has always seemed elitist where they have all these "servants" waiting on them.

In contrast, the humble, "regular Joe" badminton players pick up their own birds, wipe their own brows (and, yes visor, occasionally relief their noses). :rolleyes:

Give these hard-working players whatever they need. Just don't slow the game down any more.

5. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I don't think it's disgusting. Better on the side than letting it all drip down on your court. I also don't think it would be disgusting if tennis players did the same.

The few times I saw a racket change, the partner runs out and grabs it and back immediately in court of play. No delaying of game.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I suppose the OP hasn't seen ultimate fighting on TV... where the contestants regularly and personally exchange bodily fluids like blood and saliva with each other. ;)

7. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    That's because the bodily fluids are also fighting each other...that's what makes it ultimate fighting. :):):)

8. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    I don't really see a problem with it. The break in between points in badminton are a lot shorter than in tennis (in which, as someone pointed out, they get towels between every point). If the umpire won't allow a towel down, I think the players are perfectly entitled to wipe their sweat to the side of the court instead of letting it get into their eyes.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    squash players wipe their hands on the wall...

10. yuki onitsura

Note to self: never touch a squash wall ever again.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

You should say note to self, do not ever shake hands again with your opponents at the end of the game... what do you think they did with their hands during the game? ;)

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just put some big fans on the courtside to generate air flow. that will help sweat evaporation. problem solved. :)

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, but creates another problem... Shuttle flight will be severely affected. May as well play outdoors. :p

14. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

If you're disgusted by sweat, you'd better quit sports.

Ridiculous topic/thread...

15. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    I've never figured why more players don't wear headbands or wristbands - this is what they're for!

16. yuki onitsura

Tried the wristband thing a few times when I used to play tennis and it's just kind of uncomfortable. And I guess the players are perfectly fine with just flicking the sweat off court.

17. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    maybe it's just the way i play, but when i play within my group, we don't stop to throw sweat after every point, in fact we play pretty quickly, and then jump onto a second game as well. there is one time where i tried to pretend to be like the pros, at least when i'm not playing, and use all the time i want to wipe sweat and breaks at 11pt and another break between the sets, i realized i don't sweat that much at all because of all that walking around. yet on tv i see them sweat like crazy, but granted that they probably run a lot harder and hit a lot harder than i can ever imagine, but i'm fatter than they are, i must be sweating more than they do, for crying out loud i'm almost twice the size of the fat malaysian men's doubles player!!!

anyway, now i wear a plastic head sweat gutter thing i use for cycling and it just channels all my sweat pass my ear down my neck, no sweat in my eyes :) tho i do look more like an idiot than before having a plastic band around my forehead, LOL :)

18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

i see the sweat throwing and shuttle changing and towel downing and grip powdering and floor wiping due to slow diving and line calls disagreeing all a semi delay tactic. there are times when it's necessary, but i see that they all do it as much as they can or when they need to, to work in their tactics :)

19. yuki onitsura

I think the other thing that makes the pros sweat so much more than most rec and club players are the insanely bright lights they play under. If you've ever stood on a well lit stage for any amount of time, you'll know just how insanely hot it can get under there.

20. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

come on guys, you don't discuss why the pros sweat so much?

it's because they work so incredibly hard. nothing else.
    (of course, towelling and the like are used to delay, but anyways, i'm sure they often really need these breaks because the game has become so f***ing hard...)