Why am i having only pain in my left knee?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by crazy_smasher, Feb 2, 2004.

1. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

Hi all,

My left knee is painful after badminton and my right knee is completely painless. What is surprising is i am a right handed and i do deep lunges on my right leg (not very smooth) and yet my right knee is painless.

The only 2 times i think i exert my left knee is when i jump smash, but i rarely do so for quite some time already and when i do some round the head smashes, but even that the left knee is just a stability support and not a impact cushioner.

Anyone have the same problem?

Thanks

2. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    If it's the inside of your left knee then maybe you're lunging too far. You may be causing the left leg (from the knee down) to bend away from centre, hence doing it damage.

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    When you lunge is your left foot dragging on its side (incorrect) or on the corner of the big toe (correct)

4. slyinottawa

slyinottawa Regular Member

It's the lunging on the right knee that is helping you. Your right leg is probably stronger which helps out the knee. I and a lot of others have the exact same problem. Strenghening the left leg will help.

5. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    i have the exact same problem. someone told me it could be because i use my left leg to pivot hence adding some weight and a little twisting on my left knee. i agree that my left knee could also be weaker since the lunges help strengthen my right knee. i try and do slow lunges with my left leg as exercise every now and then. i also never play without a patella band on my left knee. it greatly minimizes and sometimes eliminates the ache i feel afterwards.

6. estib

estib Regular Member

If you analyse it carefully, the left leg actually absorb a lot more impact than you might think. When we jump we always land on the left leg first. You don't notice it but both of our feet leave the ground when we smash, so basically were jumping on every smash, that's why the left leg absorbs a lot of impact during a game.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting.

i have been bugged by a pain in my left knee. it is near the knee cap, in front and just below the knee cap.

it used to just bother me a little bit, but lately, i notice that if i play a lot, it will make my knee weaker and more jelly than usual. i played on the 2nd consecutive day on tuesday and i wasn't able to moved well after the 3rd or 4th game of the day. i ended up playing with some beginners at the end and i was nearly hopping around with my right leg only.

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    kwun,

I have the same problem. This problem started long time ago. My sport med doc told me to do weight training to strengthen the tendons and ligaments that are attached to the knee. Your knee cap might be misaligned due to a stronger muscle group pulling harder on one side. The aim of weight training is to trengthen the weaker muscle group and thus pull the knee cap back into alignment. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Peter

#8 Pete LSD, Feb 5, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks for the info Pete. i am going to take it easy and do some strengthening. kinda depressing to have such a crippling pain. i tried playing a game the other day, and i just couldn't move at all. the best i could was to do some stationary drills.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If Pete is right, then you should be careful about weight training. If you train the muscles that are already strong, you may make things worse! Consult a sports doctor/physio for accurate advice.

11. WensMartin

WensMartin New Member

pc eng
    Knee pain from weight lifting is very common. I read it's possible from doing squats. You should consult your gym instructor and if the pain is still there go see your doctor.

12. andrew chan

andrew chan Regular Member

Can u guys recommend some weight training exercises, i dont want this to happen, since i have to get around on my legs alot.

13. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    The first time I read the topic of this thread.. the first thing came to mind was that "are you hoping that your right knee hurts, too?":p so it is not just the left knee.:p

Anyways, I don't know the answer since I work at my own piano company, and have to move pianos sometimes, both my knees are always sore after playing badminton...:crying:

14. cyclone9

cyclone9 Regular Member

how could u dig 4 yrs thread! hahaha