Help me choose a racket...

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by TheGr8One, Feb 3, 2004.

1. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    Hi all,

About a month ago I go broke my MP77 in a clash. It was strung with the BG65 at 22 lbs when I bought it during a summer sale, and it was only 6 months old. :(

Anyway, I need help choosing a new racket. I don't feel it is worth spending too much on rackets anymore, given how fragile they can be. I've had a Ti 7 for 4 years and it hasn't broke; in fact, I was pretty much new at badminton when I started with the Ti 7; one would think that racket wouldn't survive this long. But anyway, I don't want to go back to using my Ti 7; it's too head light for my style. Right now I'm using my 6-years old Carbonex 7 that I started badminton with, and it isn't exactly head heavy either, and it has an oval head. (I'm still able to play pretty good with it, but don't want to use this in the long term; it has really loose factory strings). So I want to know what would be a good head heavy/even balance racket costing about $100 Cdn. Preferably isometric, and weight 2U/3U, and muscle power frame(it seems to hold string tension better).

I'm thinking maybe a MP33; it was on sale for $113 during Christmas Sale...but now the price is $135, so I'll have to wait until there is a sale again.
    Right now Cab 20MS is $136...is tempting, having read many positive reviews of it, but not sure if I would be better with the MP33.

I'd also like to know if the difference in playability between a $113 racket(MP33) and a $170(MP77/Cab23/AT500/Pointfore Premier ISO)(or $190 for a Ti 10) racket is significant. I play fairly often(well this term I've been really busy and actually missed badminton for a week, but last term I played 6 hours a week). Another question is am I going to be better off saving some money and then a better racket later?

#1 TheGr8One, Feb 3, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
  3. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    I think so too...

MP33 is slightly stiffer than MP77 according to the experiment, and that it is also even balanced.

How does stiffness affect playability though? Are stiffer rackets better for smashing or better for control?

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Stiffness in racquets, IMO, is a matter of personal preference. With whatever racquet you have, it's still your racquet skills that count at the end of the day.

My personal preference has been stiffer racquets because I felt that it translate my power better. With good swing technique, one can maximise the power of his shot with stiff racquets. However, touch is a different matter though. It will take awhile to get used to stiff racquets. As there's very little flex in the racquet already, whatever flex required to play delicate shots is concentrated in the hand. So, expect to get killable netshots for the opposition while you adapt:D.

Anyway (from your profile) you're an advanced player, I am sure that you won't have much problem with MP33:).

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    IMO, both MP33 and Cab20MS are quite stiff.

Cab20MS (2U) is an excellent all around racket, but just a little bit too heavy for ppl like me. If you have relatively strong arm/shoulder to handle it, it will be a great choice, either for power or control.

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, since you prefer ISO head and ~100CDN, I would say you can try MP22, 24 or 27. I have tried all of them at the shop and I felt they are good rackets with ok performance.

About MP-33, I am not sure if you like stiff racket or not, but MP-33 is a stiff racket according to many people's opinions.

7. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    I'm gonna be buying the racket in Markham..likely from Lee's Badminton..MP22/24/27 aren't available there.

I'm quite used to stiff rackets...Ti 7, MP77 that I've used are stiff.

Actually I've decided if I'm gonna get a racket, I'm only going to use it for singles. I'll stay with my Cab 7 Long for doubles.

I'll play for a few more weeks with my Cab 7 and decide if I must get an ISO head. So far I haven't had much trouble hitting the bird on the sweetspot.
    Might even wait until MP66/Cab30MS comes out..then I have more choices, though those would likely cost more.

I'm worried about durability of ISOs...it seems that oval heads are more durability, but I don't know if that for a fact yet. In that case a Cab20MS would make sense.