Economical alternatives for club stringers compared to BG65

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ucantseeme, Nov 24, 2013.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Hello guys,

I have found my prefered string (Zymax 62) but it's not economical for my club mates. IMO Bg65 is a dinosaur and there must be different and a bit cheaper strings which have close durability and better performance. I don't want to make more profit, I just want offer the job at a better price. The tension is between 20lbs and 26lbs.

Do somebody have experiences with these exotic strings?

• Gosen Pro 70
    • Toalson BL 8000
    • Hi Qua B 696
    • Babolat Fine Braid
    • Adidas Power Balance 69

2. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    Getting those gigantic reels off of mbs for the Hi Qua B696 would probably be the cheapest way to go. They're very soft strings that are similar to bg65 (even softer) and are quite durable. I personally hate them because the gauge is too thick and soft but if you're club members are looking for something like bg65 where it's cheap and durable, I'd definitely look into it.

3. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    maybe zymax 67?

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Which is exactly what I do - it's fantastic value for money.

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Personally I found bg80 power to have similar durability to 65 with nicer performance. Though I'm 1/1000 that seems to like the string on this forum.

6. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    To be honest, I really hate BG-65. I do not like the feel, and it also lack in control and power... The only good thing about it is that it is one of the more durable strings YONEX HAS TO OFFER....

One of the MOST DURABLE, and cheap thin gauge strings (0.66mm) I have tried has to the the TOALSON NanoPremium 66, and the TOALSON Devil 66 strings... (These strings last a long time if not strung at too high tensions... This is due to the outer layer f the string, which is a little bit slippery and generate less friction at main/cross intersections to fray the string when you do slice shots etc.)
    Sure these strings does not have the more grippy texture offered by the likes of BG-66UM, but it is less slippery than the NBG-98.
    The feel of the NanoPremium 66 and Devil 66 are around mid-soft, and it can feel medium when it is tensioned at mid-high tensions (24-26 lbs) The feel is crisp, and much better feel, control and power compared to BG-65

Another good powerful string is the GOSEN R4x 100, 200, and the R4x Momone strings. These 3 strings are thin guages (0.62mm -0.66mm). Out of the 3 GOSEN R4x strings, Momone is the most durable and the powerful (imho), but it is also the most expensive, but compared to BG-65, it is still cheaper.
    Momone is very powerful string, and feels just right. It is less slippery than the TOALSON strings, and it is one of the closest string to the BG-66UM from GOSEN imho.

Ashaway Zymax 62 is very repulsive string, and feels soft... The thin gauge and the texture makes the string quite easy to snap.
    I would AVOID this string for lower level players as most of them will string in low tension, and thus making the string move around quite a bit, and fraying the strings at the mains and crosses increases the chance of breakage in shorter period of time. High level players who play at high tension can also break the string as the gauge is very thin, and powerful smashes at high tensions can snap the string at the mains.

Some of the Li Ning strings are quite excellent as well. (I have not personally tried Li Ning strings on any of my rackets), but I tried a fellow club member's Yonex Cab 35 with a thin gauge Li Ning (cannot remember the model nor the tension of which the string is strung at)... and HOLY CRAP BATMAN, the string is so crisp, feels excellent (medium feeling), and very repulsive and EXTREMELY LOUD..... When you hit the shuttle with that string, even lightly touching it for a net shot the string has that high pitched "PING" sound... Smashing sound with the string is just loud thud with higher pitch overtones....

I really enjoyed that string (too bad I did not remember the string's model.... -_-)

7. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    thanks for the write up. it great!

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    [MENTION=93801]mms6a[/MENTION]

Thank you for your detailed post. :)

I'm really curious about the Gosen Pro 70. Did anybody try it?

9. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Toalson BL8000 & Nanopremium 66 (BL6600) is virtually indestructible. Using 66 for everything now.

My own rackets at 31lbs, 2 breakages in 3 months using it and one of those was due to scraping a cross on the floor.

#9 msitpro, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  10. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Similar texture to BG-65 from memory but harder.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

probably ap62+ ... which is supposedly oem'd from zm62

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    ashaway powergut 65 have been on my racket for a month and there are still no signs of breakage :)

13. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Hello
    Most of the non-yonex strings existing in the general market are economical alternatives to BG65, as long as they have the same gauge or thicker.
    You may check the brands Toalson, Gosen, Forza and the cheapest Ashaway models.
    Babolat may not be economical alternative but I dont know their prices in germany.
    If you seek huge economy for recreational only players you may try Hi Qua B696 or Pro's Pro (this last one with thicker gauges and may be easy to get them in germany).
    Hope it helps.

14. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

To me, Bg80Power is definitely NOT a string about durability. I am the 2/1000 that like that string here tho. I am a 66UM and 80P guy :)

15. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Ya I retract my durability comment actually haha.

16. gavias

gavias Regular Member

#16 gavias, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  17. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

The Gosen Pro-70 (2nd Gen - Which is what MBS is selling) offers a very nice feel for a 0.70mm string. I would say its a medium to medium-slightly hard string. A 6/10 scale for hardness.

It is not as durable as the BG65 but it offers very good power and crispness to it.

I string all the rackets that come in and have no preference string with this string. It can take high tensions easily as well.

Thoroughly recommend this string as a base string to your club mates.

18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i've tried zymax70 and that string doesn't break no matter how hard i mishit a shot...but then maybe i'm just not a hard hitter.

19. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Gosen Pro 70 is an excellent choice.
    In terms of feeling is something between BG65 and BG80, which is very pleasant to those who dont like soft feelings very much.
    Durability is around the actual BG65, maybe a little less.
    The price from MBS is awsome.
    As I said before and respecting this thread subject, there are many alternatives in the market as long as you maintain the gauge or go thicker.

20. lg5172

lg5172 New Member

Babolat Finebraid

I am currently playing with Babolat Finebraid 0.70
    Little bit soft while stringing, otherwise is great. Holds tension, strings don's slip on slices.
    I am happy with it.