Chose a racket for intermediate player / no competition

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jbonlinea, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jbonlinea

jbonlinea Regular Member

Hi all

I'm currently looking for the right racket, and hell it's not easy.:confused:

First of all, who am I ? I played 3years at high school, started local competition but quited quickly and havent played for more than ten years. I started over 2 years ago but un-regularly and now I'm playing 2 times a week since a couple of month.
    I've also been playng tennis as a child and table tennis before getting back to badminton thus I don't have a good badminton technique since I'm more a general raquet game guy than a good technitian in one sport.

I have two troubles :
    - I struggle to shoot from line to line
    - i struggle with backhand shot from the back of the field
    it end up that I give point this way:mad:

I actually have two rackets:
    - Babolat fuse lite, 97g, flex: medium balance 300
    - Babollat speedster 3.0, 95g, flex: normal (so medium I beleive); balance 295

the first one is a cheap one (30$) and the second one is 10 years old
    I hate the first one and I can't play with it, the second is better but I lack power.

I was thus thinking to get a new racket (virtually without budget limit, at least to identify what suit best for me)

what would you recoment ?

I was considering getting a flexible one with neutral balance to help gaining power

but now I see there are
    super-flexible, flexible, medium-flexible, medium, medium-hard, hard and very-hard,
    handle very heavy, handle heavy, neutral, head heavy, head very heavy
    plus not everybody agree where neutral is 285-290

and I hear tha there are some flexible with handle heavy seriously powerfull

So I'm lost

Any recomendation ?

Thank's
    jo

PS1: I have checked many models but there are still so many so asking suggestion from this list makes no sense yet
    PS2: I mostly play double, not by choise but because of fiel availability, but I wana be able to play single as well with the racket

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    since you have problems hitting from baseline to baseline, and also problems with your backhand, the first and foremost is to find someone who can coach you so you can have the correct technique. if you have correct technique and it's a problem with strength, then go get some muscles :)

after you have done that, then i would recommend you the arcsaber002, even balance, 3u weight, flexible shaft. this is considered a beginner/intermediate level racket, at least by badminton alley. the flexible shaft will give you the extra power but again, ultimately it's your technique. if you think that you will outgrow a flexible racket very soon, then i would recommend you the arcsaber7. to me, the arc7 is more compact, tho it has approx. the same weight at 3u, and it's also even balance. both of the rackets i recommended above can be played in singles and doubles with the arc7 playing a bit faster with a medium stiff shaft.

hopes this helps

3. jbonlinea

jbonlinea Regular Member

hi

well I know the pb is technique and I'm working on it, one of my palying mate is giving me hard time to improve this

I considered the Arc saber 002, as well as the Arc saber7 but we told me that Yonex was usuallt more (too) rigid compare to other brand so I was my first bet

What about in Carlton or Babolat or others ?

Thanks

4. gundamzaku

working professional
    carlton vapour trail tour is a wonderful racket that i have used and still love. it might be a bit heavy for doubles but it's pretty much perfect for singles in my opinion. the shaft might be a bit stiff but you definitely will get some power from the weight, it is even balance, around 3u on the heavy side, and med stiff to stiff for the shaft.

wilson BLX Vertex is another wonderful racket that i have used and love as well. it is around the same weight as the carlton vapour trail tour, heavy side of 3u, even balance, but the shaft is def stiff to me. heavy enough for singles, stiff and fast enough for doubles. in fact, i just used it last night playing. the only thing i didnt like is the handle because the tapered area near the butt cap of the handle is not dramatic enough, sometimes i feel that i might not grip the racket hard enough and it would go flying out of my hand :( however, this is a very easy fix by regripping an overgrip on the racket.

because i'm recommending you even balance rackets in general, i have no come across an even balance racket that has a flexible shaft. i do however came across a few rackets that are either head light or head heavy which has a flexible shaft. however, if you want to do both singles and doubles, the "safe" bet is to get an even balance racket until you've developed your game further and decide on a particular balance yourself :)

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    victor rackets wise, i would recommend the bravesword11. it is very very slightly head heavy, but very close to even balance, with a med stiff shaft according to victor, but i rate it as a flexible shaft that's a bit stiff. because of the bravesword frame, it swings quick and great for doubles.

i find spira21 and superwave35 played very similarly, which is head heavy with very stiff shaft, so those might not be a good choice for you. :)

6. jbonlinea

jbonlinea Regular Member

ok thanks,

indeed, the racket you mention are rather medium and neutral and even more medium, head heavy.
    I have to say that I'm a bit scared of not enjoying such racket. I started to try racket of friends when I could but most of them are stiff, neutral or stiff,head heavy, with usually 22lbs... I indeed didn't enjoy it and I'm scared the medium, head heavy won't suit so much.

I kind of understand why you recomend me even balanced racked, to be ok for single and double as to be quick (manoeuvrable) rather precise and still powerfull enough.

However I'm a bit more puzzled that most of the racket you suggest are rather on the medium-stiff side thant and the flexible side ? (ie vapour trail tour, blx vertex, exception to the bravesword at least in your feeling)

Do you belive I can phisycally and technically afford such kind of racket or you think flexible ones are only for huge lack of power ?

In short should I go for a medium neutral ?

If sticking with flexible, neutral, Beyound the Arcsaber002, I have identified many rackets like

Carlton Vapour Extreme Rage and Carlton Air Edge, but I c'an see any differences but 2g.

Babolat Satelite 6.5 Metriflex series have the whole range of racket with almost any combinaison
    super-flexible - hand heavy : synchro (balance 285mm)
    super-flexible - neutral : lite (balance 290mm some say head heavy)
    flexible -------- hand heavy : essential (balance 280mm )
    flexible -------- neutral : brio (balance 290mm some say head heavy)
    semi-flexible---neutral : power (balance 290mm some say head heavy)
    plus the whole set with medium and stiff ones... and this also in the lower category N-tense (the upper category, X-Feel only have medium, stiff and super-stiff shaft)

Moreover there are these Dunlop Biomimetic Evolution (super-flexible-neutral) and elite (flexible-hand heavy) (I identified them as there are some hard discount in a french shop <70$)

And such a bunch of Adidas flexible-neutral...

Well I'm puzzled about what should I buy. The babolt exemple just show the tip of the iceberg of my problem: super-flexible or flexible and what consider as neutral 285mm, 290mm ?

Thanks for your help
    Jo

PS: I don't know much Victor racket as they are seldomly distributed in france, hard to find and expensive.

7. gundamzaku

working professional
    i think what i have suggested are just rackets that i have and know about. there are still a lot of rackets out there that i haven't mentioned since i don't know about them or of them. some people, like myself, enjoy playing with a flexible racket even when i see myself improving from beginner to intermediate. so ultimately it's your preference and how you like to play your game. and you won't know until have played enough and gained enough experience. and hopefully with experience you'll also gain more knowledge about different rackets :)

if you think or want to buy a particular racket after reading all the suggestions and comments, go for it.

8. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    What's your string and tension? How old is your strings?

9. jbonlinea

jbonlinea Regular Member

Thank's all for your replies :)
    [MENTION=39250]gundamzaku[/MENTION]
    yes indeed I understand that you mention racket you know, I don't think the ones you mention will suits me but your ideas helped me to get a better picture as it initiated the process of thinking about racket "technology"

[MENTION=54652]mater[/MENTION]
    so I have two rackets

- Babolat fuse lite, 97g, flex: medium balance 300
    I bought this one two years ago when I slowly started to play again. I played with the original strings untill it break and I asked a guy to re-string it. At this time Iwasn't paying attention to material so I'l not sure what he did but know that I know better I beleive he put yonex BG65 10kg

It was more dificult to play. In my office, there was an unsued racket from the prévious user of the office. I took it and it is the one I'm using now, the Babollat speedster 3.0, 95g, flex: medium ; balance 295.
    I tried it and prefered. No clues about the string but not original ones for sure and stiffer than basic (well more tension compared with out of the box low+ end racket babolat such as N-magic).
    I used the racket since over a year but didn't play from june to November 2012 an febuary to september 2013 (damn job makes me move away from home).
    The string might be 3 or 5 years old, they are peeling, it'll break soon. That it why I started to consider buying me a pleasant racket...

@everybody
    I just played this evening with a Babolat N-magic of a friend and it was so easy to play.

also tonigh I got what was the name of my racket when I was playing at high school (I even started competition back then, but moved at uni and prefered party) : Wilson Sting 11, the one which looks like a drop of water. I was having a lot of fun hammering the shuttle with this one. However I learnd that it is a stiff one, head heavy. I wonder if I completly lost my technique or if I grew old (in the worst sens) too quickly. I'm 32 and I'm not sure I can handle such racker anymore... hell :)

10. Magicmeatbag

Magicmeatbag Regular Member

Landscaping
    Jbonlinea your post is kinda creepy because your situation is an almost carbon copy of mine lol. From the playing in highschool, starting competition then quitting and just recently starting up again after 7 something years.

I agree with some of the posters though. The number one thing on your mind should be training up some strength and better technique to get a better baseline to baseline clear and backhand clear. This is what I'm doing at the moment along with footwork and conditioning. All the rackets that I was looking at getting when I just got back into badminton again are getting more different by the day as I'm getting better and my needs are slightly different.

But that being said there is nothing like a solid feeling racket that you just feel comfortable with. The best thing you could do and I'm sure you've already done this is try as many rackets as possible with different specs to see what just feels right in your hand and what feels nice to swing with. I had to spend some money to accomplish this since I live in a small town and not much selection at my club. But now I have a better feel of what I'm looking for which is either a ever so slightly head heavy racket with a medium/stiff feel or a headlight racket that can still generate a decent smash. The 2 I've been personally eyeing were the Apacs Virtuoso Pro which I have and just waiting on getting it strung and the Yonex nanoray 750 3U. But my problem is as I said above that I'm getting stronger. All the Yonex/Victor stiff versions are creeping into my table of potential buys.

Personally If I were you I would hold off on buying a racket until you KNOW which one you really want just for the sake of not wasting money like I did. But if the situation comes up and you just need a decent racket I would look at the Apacs brand of rackets. Reason being is that they are cheap and great value. The finapi 88 gets the best reviews out of all the cheaper ones and the tantrum 200 gets a ton of praise for being a great all rounder but it's shaft is stiff. Both rackets are 285 balance point so good for singles/doubles. No experience with the 2 sadly but if I get another of this brand It's gonna be one of those 2.

Anyways /2cents. Hope it helps =D.

Edit : Oh yea another racket I would look at getting is the Nanospeed 2000. Almost bought that the week I tried it off one of the 15 year olds at out club. Probably the most pleasant all round medium flex racket I've ever tried. Only reason I didn't get one is that the shaft was slightly too flex for me. But if the Virtuso pro racket pans out I might actually come to think of it. That or the nanoray 750. Eh don't listen to me I don't even totally know what I'm doing lol.

#10 Magicmeatbag, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  11. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    First, I want to say Gundamzaku has many great points in the posts above.

I asked about the strings because I always think it is good to think about the strings used and the tension used before thinking about replacing a decent racket. What I mean by decent is a racket that is not overly heavy or too light.

This may not be the answer you are seeking. Most want to hear what racket they should get to improve but often that is not the case. Exactly how is your clearing and backhand? With a perfect contact, do you clear to close to the opposing back doubles line? What disappoints you with the backhand? Clear distance, speed of shuttle, weak return?

I'm wondering if a string with better repulsion + correct tension + more practice on technique can help you enough with your goals w/o a new racket. You mentioned your friend's N-Magic being easy to play. I don't know much about the rackets you mentioned but what is the weight of the N-Magic? I found a description on Amazon UK stating 86 grams. If that is correct, with strings it can be around 89-91 grams. Are your other racket weights with strings or unstrung weights? If unstrung, those rackets are nearing 100 grams and over. That itself can be part of the problem.

Also, what feeling did you have with your friend's N-Magic that made you say it was "so easy to play"? Was it the ease of using it for different shots? Was it the repulsion in the your shots? Did you see an improvement in your shots over your existing two rackets?

I know the girls on high school teams that I play recreationally with and against, can easily push me corner to corner and they are not full of muscles. Their techniques have been refined through countless practices. If you have been out of badminton for a while and just got back, it may be a matter of needing repetitions to improve on the clears and backhand.

12. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

I think you should set aside getting the mid to high-end rackets . And invest on getting a coach , get a low end racket . IMO MusclePower 22 and Babolat Speeder are good rackets for beginners.
    This is how your list should be
    1.Have a budget of at least $100
    2.Get low end racket and custom string it with hard and feel strings (BG80)
    3.Find a coach with a reasonable price .
    4.Train under your coach and master your weapon. (Be sure to use your coach's teachings)
    5.Go pwn some players :D

13. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Regular Member

Student
    Try 'Karakal BN60'. Its a featherweight racket that weighs 60G. Of course a lot of people say that due to its seamless swing, it cannot generate much power. However, I bought one and was much suprised. Due to its seamsless swing my swing speed is greatly improved and it helps in my shots without my arm or wrist suffering much at all. You just have to string it properly. I recommend Yonex BG66 Maxima strung at 28Lbs tension using the 4 knots stringing method. If you're looking for a liitle more power than that, you can go for the Yonex Arcsaber FB and even the Nanospeed 9900 if you really want power with a seamless swing.

14. yeahehehehe

I dont think the high end will do good to the "low-end"

15. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Regular Member

Student
    But the Karakal BN60 is easy to use as its featherweight and has no timing issues and its swing speed would easily help increase power.

16. yeahehehehe

I agree , it's strong , it can be stringed 32 lbs. But we have our own opinions , styles , etc. The high end BN60 might be good for you , as i guess you are an Intermediate++ player. But it might do no good to an Intermediate- player. He is still improving and the best racket he is suited is a low end. I hope you understand , thank you for the suggestion btw. :D

17. jbonlinea

jbonlinea Regular Member

Hi all

sorry for the delay, I keept all this ideas in mind see if nigh thinking helped

My two rackets respectivelly weight 95g and 97g stringless.

I totally agree that my technique is terrible, estpecially for clearing and backhand, and this is the key issue.
    Nevertheless, I pay 30€ for one of my racket two years ago when I started to play again (but I coudn't play more thant 1h30 a week and only half a season), and I haven't paid for the other one.
    And honestly, I really don't mind abandoning these old rackets (but keeping one as back-up in case of string break) and spending what is needed for one racket I feel confortable with.

My felling with N-Magic : easier to clear, even when I'm late and unbalanced, quicker to defend against smatch and the shuttle is going further in distance, did not afect my presision on net playing. Well a general ease...

My problem with backhand is simple, if i use the badminton technique I do not masterise, the clear distance and speed of shuttle is simply disastrous. The wrong tennis habit to let the shuttle come down and play with the arm dominate, but for some reason, probably beacuse I'm hamering like hell, I do manage to return decently along the line (I'm left handed so it is good for that), however if I'm too late then it become sa disaster, obvisouly.

@Magicmeatbag: hé hé, I had a 12 year long break...

I can't say that I have to start over from 0, but right now I think I should stick with a flexible racket (altought not super flecxible, my palying mates say that I'm quite powerfull). The reason for a flexible and not medium racket is to enable me to clear decently quickly and thus be able to develop my game and not be stuck defending smatch over smatch because of my clearings

Now I'm wondering between two rackets :
    - carlont air edge, flexible neutral (can have if for 65€)
    - babolat 6.5 satelite metricflex brio, flexible slightly head heavy 290mm (85€)

The air Edge seems great however I'm scared not powerfull enough for me
    the brio also seems great, however I wonder if I should not stick with slightly lighter racket

The only two other alternatives would be
    - Babolate Ntense essential flexible, slightly head heavy 290mm (67€). It is like the brio but 86g vs. 88g, but do not have GT and MF technologies which are apparently worth
    - carlton airlite tornado, flexible head heavey (also a little bit apparently) (55€)

then there are many others especially the Satelite synchro MF, but I'm getting tired of wondering.

Well, I think I'll go to the shop really soon and get one of then more or less randomly, play and see, but if one f you shout something.

Thank's

jo

18. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    It does sound like your rackets are up in weight. I don't know much about the rackets you have quoted in your posts but if you like the N-Magic, why not get that? Is it obsolete or too much money? If so, next I'd try looking in the same brand and try to find a match in one of the current models. Aside from that, hopefully someone else with experience of the rackets you are interested in can comment on them.

19. jbonlinea

jbonlinea Regular Member

yop, the N-magic is fine but it is quite low end and the guys I'm playing with suggest me not to get this one and get something better, they say that it's not worth event if it is only 40€... (now it is only sold in big sports shops and not badminton specialist shops, at least in france so i beleive it migh be obsolet or designed for casual player looking for a confortable affordable racket... don't know)

the N-Magic is flexible neutral, and the ones I selected are similar but with more caracter, in their own manner, then is it only about having "technologies" or just paying more for the pride of a midle-upper-end racket...
    I would have to play with them and compare...

I was indeed seeking info on these racket, and it is partly the reason of my post. I also did one on a french forum, but reading post on yours gave me the impression that probably for marketing and habitus reason, you guys do not know/use/recomend the same racket (but well know yonex such as nr500, etc...)

so I tried to have somehow two sided opinion :)

have to go

If one of you have a say on my selection !!! speak now or keep silent for ever :) (i'll probably get one tomorrow)

thank's again

20. y.prasanna

y.prasanna New Member

Hey Guyz..... I am new to the forum.... any review on carlton airblade 30 lite ????