what is a bad gromet ? top snapping?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by eudox, Nov 26, 2013.

1. eudox

eudox Regular Member

Hi ,

How do we reconize a bad gromet? Is the inside is importabt also? do we have to see some gromet plastic inside the raket frame? I would need more info how to reconice bad gromet?

Do we have to focus mostly on the gromet on the head of the raket cause they are these who can mostly snap the string?

What do you do when a custumer is coming back after a 2 weeks and one middle main string snapped on top? do you replace main and cross? I am using 4 knots, i think if i cut only all the mains the raquet will shrink right? Do you just just raplace the broken string that mean putting more knot on the raquet?

If i string 21 main and 23 cross is that mean 22lbs tention? at these 22 lbs is it easy to break? With zn 70 or bg 65?

thanks

dan

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I usually change grommets that are significantly damaged on either side (outside or inside the frame) no matter where they are on the racket.

I do not replace strings when customers snap them at the top of the racket. That is due to a miss hit and there is nothing we can do against it except tell them to hit better. I'll only replace the string if it breaks within a week and if it broke in the middle of the racket or at a knot (or if I notice a mistake I could have done or something). It would be possible to change only half the string only if you have to remove the crosses, but you would have to mount the racket on your machine first. I strongly recommend cutting all of the strings and stringing it completely again though.

As for tension, it depends on the stringer. Personally, if someone asks me 22lbs, I'll do 22x24. And 21-22 lbs is a very safe tension, it should not break strings easily.

3. eudox

eudox Regular Member

hi,

even if the raket specification say 18-22 lbs and the customer is asking 22 lbs u will do
    22 main and 24 cross? And do you charge extra for the gromet cause its so slow to change?

thanks

dan

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are two common places where a grommet would get worn out.

the part that is protruding at the inner part of the frame, leading towards the string bed. the repeated movement and sliding of the string can cause the grommet to flare, split and worn out enough that the string will start touching the frame.

the "head" of the grommet at the outside of the frame. this is more rare, but when it does happen, it is hard to spot. the sliding of the string can wear out the head at the 90 degree corner made by the tensioned string. this cause the string to touch the frame directly and can cause premature string breakage.

in both cases, the grommet should be replaced.

5. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Usually, rackets that are in good condition can withstand much more than the recommended tension. So yes, I would do 22x24.

As for extra cost for grommets, I've never charged for changing them. I might do it one day if I have to change the majority of them.

6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member