cab20MS vs. mp77

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by thermodynamics, Feb 4, 2004.

1. thermodynamics

thermodynamics Regular Member

student
    Hi,

At Malaysia the price of mp77 and cab20MS are about the same(Rm270).I am planning to buy either one.I play lots of doubles and my style of play is more towards attacking.I guess I am an intermediate player and my current racket is cab8 sp 2u blue version(106grams with string and grip).I think my cab8sp is head heavy.Can you guys give suggestion whether I should buy mp77 or cab20MS.Thanks in advance.

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Jumping from Cab8 -> Cab20MS, or Cab8 -> MP-77 is a very huge jump. I don't think I should give you any suggestion other than "go to a shop and try them out yourself."

Have you tried them before? If you have, then you probably already know the right one for you.

Have you tried to use "search" function? Many Cab-20MS talks and MP-77 talks are there.

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I forgot to explain why I think jumping from Cab-8 to MP-77 or Cab-20MS is a huge jump to me.

First, the difference in weight
    Second, Cab-8 is a two piece racket, and both Cab-20MS and MP-77 are one piece racket, and I think this is clear enough.
    Third, MP Frame is a lot different from Cab-8
    Forth, MP-77's ISO frame is different from Cab-8
    Finally, I really don't think the characteristics of Cab-8 is close to any of them at all.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Thermo,

What happened to your CAB21 bias:p? Wasn't it available in store?

5. thermodynamics

thermodynamics Regular Member

student
    hehehhehe..

It was just bias, not that I have made up my mind:)I've read your reviews on cab20ms.Ive just tried my father's friend cab20sp and I felt it was a nice racquet.Cab20sp is a lighter, more balanced and more powerfull than my cab 8.From what I read from the reviews, cab20ms feels closer to cab20 than cab21.As I still could not find a cab20sp, I think cab20ms will do.As for mp77, I've heard people say its more powerfull than cab20/21 and it cost just as much as cab20ms, so that's very tempting.I've had past experience with iso head, it was my father's Ti-7Light.I don't like it, maybe its because my father's string is Bg-65Ti.I do feel that my father's Ti-7L has bigger sweet spot but its power is less concentrated than my cab8.I'll go to the store next week. ;)

6. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    I've had a Ti 7(old version) and it certainly is a lot different than my MP77. (Note: both of them I had were 2U G4 strung with BG65 at 22 lbs) Just because both are ISOs doesn't mean they play even the least bit similarly.

Ti 7 actually has a bigger head than MP77 for one thing; second, it is head light whereas MP77 is even balanced. As a result, Ti 7 is more suitable for playing doubles because it is more manueverable. Conversely, MP77 is more suitable for power hitters who want as much as power as they can get into a smash and seems to be more suitable for singles, although I had no problem with using it for doubles. Also, the MP77's muscle power frame is better than the Ti 7's muscle power frame in that the MP77 has grommets that: i) retains string tension better; ii) does not have sharp corners that cause string to be cut. String on Ti 7 tends to break more easily along the frame than the MP77.

I can actually do fairly damaging smashes with the Ti 7, but it's not as devastating as MP77. On the whole, I think MP77 isn't actually that good for doubles despite the power advantage because it is not very manuvreable. The consequences are 3 folds: sluggish at net play; hard to attack low serves; and slower defense. But these can be overcome with some practice, but a more well rounded racket would serve you better.

Cab 20 MS should be pretty powerful all round racket according to the reviews. I would suggest that over MP77 because power, ultimately, is generated from your swing and not the racket anyway.

Currently the Armortec 500 is priced simiarly to MP77; it's probably worth a look, although there relatively few reviews of it.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Thermo,

If CAB20 SP is what you like then you should be able to find it in M'sia. Just search and ask around the Marketplace forum, there might still be some CAB20 stocks left in the country. If not, you could order it from BBEshop (China-based) at a higher price.

CAB20 MS is a pretty decent racquet for me, but from what I read elsewhere it doesn't handle like CAB20 original. So my advice is to ask around the forum for anybody who has the right contact to hook you up with a CAB20 before you sink your money in a racquet you might hate later on. Good Luck!