User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    The U19 GS was a four-round instead of the usual five-round event due to the small number of contestants. Even so, Yeo Jiamin performed well to take out one Aussie, followed by two Thai competitors before overcoming her compatriot Liang Yun in the final.

Come to think of it , and with the benefit of hindsight, it was much better for the two SIN players, esp the barely 15-yr-old YJM and LY (not sure of her age but should be thereabouts), to vie with older and supposedly stronger opposition as facing stiffer challenges would serve to improve their game and boost their confidence even more when they won.
    Agree.

We did much better in U19, taking 3 titles and barely 2 titles in the other lower age categories.

As for the GS U19 contest, I think our two girls are from different schools (Yeo is from the Sports School as I recall) and the local rivalry is apparent with the coaches being involved.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Oh what a shame that I missed it. I was at home all this while. I didn't even know there is a U19 event until you informed me.
    A pity indeed. It's always best, as far as I'm concerned, to watch it live on TV as you get to see different angle shots, close-ups and replays.

Btw, the online news media picture of Yeo Jiamin (which you posted in the Singapore Badminton Scene thread) looks so demure and sweet but once on court she while still good-looking is a lively player who more often than not takes the initiative to go on the attack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pity indeed. It's always best, as far as I'm concerned, to watch it live on TV as you get to see different angle shots, close-ups and replays.

Btw, the online news media picture of Yeo Jiamin (which you posted in the Singapore B Jadminton Scene thread) looks so demure and sweet but once on court she while still good-looking is a lively player who more often than not takes the initiative to go on the attack.
    Can't agree more on the TV viewing part. Additionally you can really relax and have your favourite drink and tidbits within reach. And the freedom to move about including toilet breaks. However, the disadvantage is that you can't take pics of the players in action, like Yeo JM.

I hope to view the repeat telecast. BTW in which channel was it shown? Your description of Yeo made me more eager to watch her.
    Last edited by Loh; 12-01-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Can't agree more on the TV viewing part. Additionally you can really relax and have your favourite drink and tidbits within reach. And the freedom to move about including toilet breaks. However, the disadvantage is that you can't take pics of the players in action, like Yeo JM.

I hope to view the repeat telecast. BTW in which channel was it shown? Your description of Yeo made me more eager to watch her.
    It was shown on Starhub channel 203 SuperSports Plus but the repeat,if any, may be on a different channel, better check the TV guide. Yes, Yeo Jiamin is a joy to watch; I regretted not saving it on my harddisk as, first, I hadn't expected it to be shown on TV and, second, for Yeo Jiamin to impress me that much.

At the moment, I've to admit Yeo JM isn't as strong as Liang Xiaoyu , I think, let alone be a match for Gu Juan but I daresay I see a bright future for her as far as SG badminton is concerned. May she perform well, reasonably at least, at the WJC next year.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncle Loh, I just checked the Starhub TV guide to see whether that particular sport programme is tagged for Catch-up TV which, if it is, may be repeated for same day telecast at a later time at channel 112/201 SuperSports Arena or channel 255 Sports HD (provided you've susbscribed for it). I'm happy to say there will be a repeat telecast at Channels 112/201 at 12:00 am " Li Ning Singapore Int'l Youth Series Finals (Men's and Women's)" - hope I get it right, the program status says: Same day Telecast.

Btw, the U19 GS Final between Yeo JM and Liang Yun wasn't the first or second match of the day shown,but somewhere in the latter half, so it should be shown around 2:00 am I think.
    Last edited by Justin L; 12-01-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Justin.

I've checked and it seems it will be repeated on Channel 112/201 at 12 mid-night.

I'll try to watch if I can wake up in time at about 2 am as you suggested.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SIN girls also won the GD U19 title where Liang Yun, who also played Singles, partnered Sari Citra Purri Dewi to beat their Thai opponents.

In total, SIN won 3 of the 4 U19 titles. The BS U19 was an all-MAS affair.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THA won 5 of 7 title but just one double title is GD U13.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncle Loh, if I remember right, after this U15 BD match (lasting 55 mins) now showing on Starhub ch 201/112 ,a 3-setter won by the MAS boys (which should end around 2.30 am), comes the U19 GS Final between Yeo Jiamin and Liang Yun, a 30-min match. Stand by.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Yeo Jia Min is representing the Singapore junior squad and Liang Yun is from China and play for Zhang Qingsong's club (can't remember the name of the club).

I think its great to see a local player like Yeo Jia Min doing so well and hopefully inspire other Singaporean players.

I look forward to the day we stop relying on foreign imports to win titles.

Another interesting thing is both girls were provided coaching during the match which is unusual, isn't it ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncle Loh, if I remember right, after this U15 BD match (lasting 55 mins) now showing on Starhub ch 201/112 ,a 3-setter won by the MAS boys (which should end around 2.30 am), comes the U19 GS Final between Yeo Jiamin and Liang Yun, a 30-min match. Stand by.
    Thanks, I woke up at around 2.15 am to watch the BD won by the Malaysians.

Then I got a chance to see Yeo JM in her win against Liang Yun. I am impressed by Yeo, who is in good physical condition and is certainly more attack oriented than GJ.

I hope she will further develop in her soft skills as well and improve all round. What a gem for Singapore!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sealman View Post
    I believe Yeo Jia Min is representing the Singapore junior squad and Liang Yun is from China and play for Zhang Qingsong's club (can't remember the name of the club).

I think its great to see a local player like Yeo Jia Min doing so well and hopefully inspire other Singaporean players.

I look forward to the day we stop relying on foreign imports to win titles.
    I also look forward to having our own local-born team, though it may take some time.

In a way our strategy of giving the foreign talents a chance to become Singaporeans has met with some success as our locals have become more interested and improved on their game through interaction with the foreign talents. We must not forget that the FTs are making their contributions as well and the best thing to happen is when they become our own citizens.

Some of our past FTs who have become Singaporeans are continuing to contribute by becoming coaches to our young badminton aspirants. Their children will become local-born, just like our forefathers' children who came ahead of us from China, India, Indonesia and elsewhere, for a better life.

So I think we should not be too hard on our FTs but try to understand them and give them credit for carrying the Singapore flag in international competitions and trying their best to win accolades for Singapore. Their children will be our children in due course.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i heard that sim fong hau from MAS is a good talent.

Surya Purnama Sidi from INA is a unique talent. great stroke, and beautiful play.
    his development is quite stuck in the last 3 years (yes, 3 years) because of his attitude.
    Djarum fired him, then he moved to mutiara, and mutiara fired him too.
    i hope PB Exist can nurture him well. luckily, he is only 14 yo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fathonezic View Post
    Surya Purnama Sidi from INA is a unique talent. great stroke, and beautiful play.
    his development is quite stuck in the last 3 years (yes, 3 years) because of his attitude.
    Djarum fired him, then he moved to mutiara, and mutiara fired him too.
    i hope PB Exist can nurture him well. luckily, he is only 14 yo.
    Is he only 14 years old? I was very impressed with his intelligent gameplay. He was very relaxed and always smiling during his matches.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sealman View Post
    Is he only 14 years old? I was very impressed with his intelligent gameplay. He was very relaxed and always smiling during his matches.
    yes, he is only 14. born 99.
    he won U-13 in INA Circuit when he is only 10 yo. and back then, he came from a very small club.
    Djarum recruited him through selection, everyone impressed. but his attitude is quite poor.
    you can guess how bad his attitude, when a club like djarum fired a 12 yo boy. movin' to another big club, mutiara (currently one of the best in INA in producing quality BS U19, U17 and U15), only to be fired again.

if only his behaviour is better, i think he should have been very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The U19 GS was a four-round instead of the usual five-round event due to the small number of contestants. Even so, Yeo Jiamin performed well to take out one Aussie, followed by two Thai competitors before overcoming her compatriot Liang Yun in the final.

Come to think of it , and with the benefit of hindsight, it was much better for the two SIN players, esp the barely 15-yr-old YJM and LY (not sure of her age but should be thereabouts), to vie with older and supposedly stronger opposition as facing stiffer challenges would serve to improve their game and boost their confidence even more when they won.

YJM is 14 years old and LY is 17 years old (if I am not wrong).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3