Choosing a Yonex Racket.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by DStyle, Nov 28, 2013.

1. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    Hi everyone,

I have been playing badminton since I was in primary school. My skill is between intermediate and advance. I'm now 37 years old and hasn't played since I moved to New Zealand (not play for 5 years now).

I'm good in all areas except a little weak in backhand. I'm a serious player. Won't be joining any competition. For a start, planning to play twice a week.

I will join my friends next year to play again and I'm having difficulties choosing from a list of Yonex rackets below.

Here are the rackets that I have selected:

1) Carbonex 20
    2) Voltric 60
    3) Nanoray 500
    4) Arcsaber i-Slash

Please give me your advise.

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

You listed a headheavy, an even balanced and a headlight racket. They are very different.

You'd better tell us what specs you like/what style you play before we give you any suggestions...

3. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT

I play more on these 2 styles:

- fast and aggressive style
    - straightforward and defensive style

4. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Lol , both are very different either.

5. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT

You are right. I like to switch in both styles but I use more on fast and aggressive style.

6. yeahehehehe

I think Arcsaber or Voltric will do good to you . they keep both power and speed

7. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

lol
    what were your previous rackets?
    in these few years, has your fitness gone down, or do you think you can still match your movements from your playing days?
    if so you can probably try a Voltric and an AS from your contacts and see which suit your current state better... im thinking a voltric or nr should be good for you. do let us know what you discover :)

8. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    Haha . . . Although I'm old, I'm still active in gym and play soccer. I will stop those two and going back to badminton next year. I'm still fit and energetic. I feel no difference though. Thank for the recommendation. :D

9. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

cab 20 is the most intermediary racquet in the list, its not too head heavy, not too stiff :) really nice for offense and defense

the arc saber I-slash has a more flexible shaft, its headlightness with its flexible shaft packs a much lesser bite than the vt60, which is headheavier and flexible.

my recommendation for your preferences is either to go for a cab 20 or for the voltric60..

10. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    Thanks guys for the feedback. It has help me a lot in choosing one. I'll definitely try them out when I purchase it.

11. Magicmeatbag

Magicmeatbag Regular Member

Landscaping
    Random question just for curiosity. Why those 4?

12. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    Reason is because those fall between my budget range. I'm prefer something in the mid range price. I do prefer more expensive models but I'm not playing in tournaments.

13. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Rather than being limited to a particular brand due to budget, have you considered other brands as well ?

In some places, the price of a mid range Yonex can get you a top range racquet from other brands. I am not sure what's available in New Zealand but you can also order from reputable online stores.

There are brands out there which offer great value for money and has top performance.

14. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    Thanks teoky. Any idea of the brands and models that you had in mind?

15. Magicmeatbag

Landscaping
    That's what I was thinking. Victor is one that immediately comes to mind and Apacs.

But if I had to choose I'd go with the nanoray 500. Headlight and fast for defense but still has some decent power. However if you were looking at the Cab 20 I'd look into the Apacs tantrum 200/300.

2cents /shrug.

16. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    You can consider brands like Victor, Adidas and Li Ning. Though unless you can get them oversea, they won't be cheap and even if available locally, might just be slightly cheaper than Yonex for the equivalent high end model. You can try mybadminstore.com or look for RKEP on ebay. Most of us have good experience dealing with Eric he does have his own brand of racquets which offers amazing value. Search for "RKEP XP70" on the forum to see the reviews and feedback.

For models, it really depend on your style of play. Most will recommend stiff and head heavy racquet if you play singles, mixed doubles or is the baseline smasher in men's doubles. Generally, most brands create their line of racquets based on the following :

Power play - Head heavy
    All round - Balance
    Speed play - Head light

I did not include the stiffness of the racquet because in each of the above category, you can have varying stiffness. For example, you can have a flexy racquet that is head heavy and it will be easier for someone that's a beginner to use it. All the various permutation will create more sub-categories but as a general rule, stiffer racquets are more expensive and typically targeted at advance players.

17. yeahehehehe

Li Ning? Their prices are insane!

18. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Ha ha ha, I was thinking if I should include Li Ning as most of the time, their prices are higher than Yonex.

19. DJTwitch

DJTwitch Regular Member

Manager
    Hi there I had some questions about the reviews and was wondering if anyone might be able to point me int he right direction. I haven't played in approximately 8 years and my old racquets were a Yonex Isometric 900 and a Ti 8 and I think it was a higher end Carelton aeroblade i'm not quite sure. I went through the Iso 500's and the 900 like they were nothing and people said I hit to hard for it and my racquets were just buckling and breaking they strung at I believe 20lbs. So now getting back into things again I want a good racquet that will last me a bit but don't know what would be comparable now a days towards what I was used to. I do play a well rounded game of net and power as I play singles[​IMG] and doubles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

20. Magicmeatbag

Landscaping
    Eh Yonex's prices aren't exactly great either. Victor isn't too shabby. Forgot about RKEP read great things but never tried yet but for budget friendly Apacs beats them all in my opinion. Problem is that their "medium" stiffness is pretty flexy lol.