Is stringing with Drop weight machine that slow?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Xuser, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Hi, I'm still contemplating whether to go with a drop weight or crank stringing machine. I've seen a couple of videos with people stringing using the drop weight machines and they seemed slow compared with the crank ones.
    Perhaps I can get some feedback from someone here?

2. anthony.nguyen

anthony.nguyen Regular Member

Student

Hi,

Stringing with a drop weight machine is not as slow as people think it is. Most of the stringing speed is reduced with removing un-necessary movements and increasing weaving speed. I can consistently string a racket within 20-25 minutes using a drop weight tensioner with fixed clamps (Premium Stringer 3600). So it would probably be a little bit faster potentially.

If it's your intention is to string high volume, then get a crank machine as it will save you the cost of time in the long run. However, the consistency is more difficult to maintain for an inexperienced stringer, thus another point for drop-weights.

Best of luck!
    Anthony

3. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

I can do a racket on my drop weight 25-30 mins total going at a proper pace. 35mins at a relaxed speed. Consistency and tension much easier to control compared to a crank, especially for beginners. The simplicity of the setup also leaves it less prone to breakages or maintenance. I would suggest drop weight for personal stringing.

4. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

weaving/prepping the racket contributes the most to the actual string time of the stringjob. From my experience, the tensioning of the string itself is very close on a dropweight and crank machine (assuming you want to do a great job on the crank machine).

I used to own a klippermate m140 stringing machine (dropweight). Due to my poor weaving technique and lack of practice (I string for myself), my fastest stringing time was around 35-40 minutes. However I could always be sure that my stringjobs were good as each pull was consistent. I strung ~100 rackets on this machine.

I now own a pro's pro shuttle express (crank). My technique has remained much the same as before, however I find that I actually take longer to string rackets now as I am less confident with the consistency of each pull (even after 2 reels of string). I thus have to double pull each string to get performance similar to a single pull on my old klippermate. Even with double pulling and stringing 1-2lbs higher than my preferred tension, the stringbed isn't as lively as with the klippermate.

If you're a first time stringer, I would highly suggest a dropweight machine as it is much more consistent than a crank and is much more user friendly. Don't get me wrong, crank machines stringjobs are very good with consistent technique, but I would use a crank only if you're fine with spending lots of time perfecting the weaving and cranking motions.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think the question need to be asked in more clarity.

is it slow compared to crank/ECP machine?

can someone string it faster compared to the average strings?

personally, i think can probably strung a racket with dropweight within 25 mins also. but with a ECP, i am down to 18-19min on a good day. crank? maybe 22 mins? having done crank for a while now.

so generically speaking without looking at the machine, is 25mins slow? not too bad at all. it will get a professional tournament stringer fired from his job for sure, but that seems to be the average speed for an average recreational stringer or even a hired stringer speed for some shops. it'd also consider quite fast for the beginning stringer who usually average around 40+ mins.

it all comes down to whether you want absolute speed. if you are just starting you will probably start with 1+hours like most beginners. it will quickly go down to around 45mins for most people. with lots of practice, you *may* get down to 25-30mins, but i haven't seen anyone doing drop weight much faster than that.

6. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst

Thanks for the replies. For sure I would prefer an electronic stringing machine but since I'm a beginner and I'm also stringing for myself and maybe for a few friends, I was considering something cheaper.

So the question is, what is a good drop weight table top stringing machine?

I was looking at the Pro's Pro Challenger 1 and 2. The Challenger 1 has the ratchet system. Is this a good thing that help speed up stringing? Here is the link: http://www.wdstrings.co.uk/acatalog/Drop_Weight_Stringing_Machines.html

7. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've just started, got a challenger 1. I chose no ratchet as I wanted it as quiet as possible and there's not much difference I don't think. One vs two handed operation the guy say the shop said. Still takes me two hours to do a leisurely job. I'm aiming for 90 minutes when I can weave better, ultimately under an hour.

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've just found a faster way to use the drop weight. Video to follow.

9. badaboom

badaboom Regular Member

teacher and stringer wannabee
    Hi
    I d like to see that even though I m on the wise now.
    I used to do 45 to 60 mins with the manual PS 3600- only strung about 25 rackets in total!
    The machine is not the real problem: as pros here always say: it s the weaving technique, the pre weaving, the blocked or shared holes and sometimes the stringing patterns.
    Good luck.
    As for me, i am working on oing below 30 minutes with the wise helping! also got the supports coming from Michal ( should help too)
    Only then , I will go for amateurs tourny stringing and call myself a stringer.
    Good luck to all.
    B

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Yeah, I knocked my time DOWN to 90 minutes so maybe I should be asking you for videos...

11. badaboom

badaboom Regular Member

Dont worry! I ve done more than 2 hours at first and I even broke the string on the last cross after struggling with shared holes! Used my wife 's needle kit .thought I d never do it. Didnt know badcentral then!
    All the best .

12. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

my fastest time on drop weight (M140) is 20 min 18 sec. My best on ECP is 18 min 3 sec. Crank machine is 19 min even. So, you tell me, does it make a damn difference.

13. badaboom

badaboom Regular Member

Too good!
    I think that for people like you who must have great experience and amazing weaving technique, it doesn t make a big difference.
    For us beginners, the arm of the drop weight is not "mastered" and we can t get ahead on the racket itself( speaking for myself!) . With the ecp,I trust the machine to take care of the tension and I concentrate on the weaving and clamps. I m getting faster each time, but still far too slow for my liking. Id be happy with 25 / 30 mins!
    I m working on it anyway.
    Cheers.

14. aqua26

aqua26 Regular Member

Sports Shop Owner
    If you are buying a new machine I would recommend you ECP machine,
    But make sure the machine has pre-stretch function since some times it is needed.

15. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) most of ecp machine still cost >$1800 USD.
    2) Getting a used ECP is a big risk. Do you like to buy my ecp machine which I strung >3000 racquet on it already for $3000 USD even I have taken it apart every year and maintain it myself? Prob not.

16. badaboom

badaboom Regular Member

Hello and thanks for the offer! I just got the wise on my Premium stringer 3600 and i m getting michal s supports. The machine is good for my use. Personal and club members (10 rackets max a month). I want to improve my technique and thus speed in order tod get more customers in 2015.
    I couldn t afford a proper ecp machine ! In France , it s even more of a rip off!
    I ve got prestretch but don t know what level( 10/15/20 %) to apply to which string!
    I am using BG 65/55/66 UM and soon Carlton x67 and Zymax 67/62. I used 10% on all at speed 1.
    What prestretch would you recommend for these strings?
    Thanks.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It depends on how many rackets you need to work on. If you open a shop and have continously business flow, yes that drop weight may kill your valuable time. If you just have a few per week, then the extra 10-15 minutes per job should not matter.

Heck, even after 1200 jobs, I still take my time to use my M140, and average about 35-40 minutes a job, with about 5-8 rackets per week. I want to do it in a fun and relaxing way. Overall, it is my hobby not my full time job.