Are SP raquets a good thing or bad thing?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Quan, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Quan

Quan Regular Member

BP(Badminton Player)
    Yeah, I got this Iso 800 SP from badmintonpage.com and I just wanted to know if there is anything different about them. Is it in anyway lower quality or weight differences? Tell me all you know you guys, thanks.

2. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

I have 2 racquets that are the same, one's an SP and I don't feel a difference between the two.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Correct me on this people if i'm wrong...... The SP is just something to indicate which country in which the racket was made for...... SP Stands for Singapore, HK stands for Hong Kong and CN for China etc......

4. ari

ari Guest

SP is definitely not Singapore,so why indonesia dun get INA ,indonesia is such a big market....indonesia still get SP....why is it so????

5. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    i thought sp stood for like south pacific

6. John

John Guest

SP does stand for South Pacific. I verified this with Jennifer Lee that played on the HK team in the 80's. She now lives in Toronto and has her training centre here. I got talking to her and she said the SP version is not the top grade. Non SP versions are the best grade. ie. ISO800 and not ISO800SP. To me, I can't tell a difference in terms or workmanship and durability. My ISO800SP has been with me for 2 years and I had no problems with it.

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yes you are in fact correct. There is also TW for Taiwan. The words SP seems a bit funny because I sometimes mean it means SUPER POWER!!!

8. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Just buy rackets that don't indicate SP. And buy from real dealers.

9. Mike

Mike Guest

Come on. If SP version are of lower grade, then all these South Pacific countries have been selling for years are nothing but junk? Why would Yonex do this to an area where badminton is so popular, and still be a major supplier? Are you saying players from these countries cannot get non SP racquets somewhere else over all these years?

Singapore is a major dealer in this area, so they get a different batch with SP silkscreen. Other areas would use TW, GR, CD, ... as part of the engraved serial number on 'generic' racquets.

The reason Jennifer said that is simple. She is the owner of Lee's badminton in Canada but tried to sell TW racquets along with Canadian (CD) model. It is to her best interest to bash SP, since she carries both TW and CD. The only Yonex product that can compete in terms of price is from the same area, i.e. SP.

I cannot imagine a person can give a fair comment when there's a conflict of interest. Got that?

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Well,

I guess that person needs to update her info becuase I also talked to a badminton representative who is a Yonex partner about this information. The quality is exactly the same. The SP is just there to indicate where it was made from. I tried a SP and non SP version and they both feel and play the same.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree.

here is a <a target=top_ href="http://www.badmintonforum.com/forums/read.php?f=2&i=943&t=943">reply</a> i got from Yonex Japan regarding SP/CN and regular racket.

Yonex Japan says they are the same.

Jennifer, bad Jennifer.

12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    ROFL!!!

ROFL!!!

13. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Some people in HK do the same thing as Jennifer (they also carry racquets imported from Taiwan and Japan).

I think SP racquets are the same as others, except for CN. I'll always say CN racquets are different because I own three of them.

14. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I wonder if CN racquets are manufactured differently or if they are just the best from each batch. It would be feasible for Yonex to have their QC inspectors set aside those racquets from a particular manufacturing run that are the most consistent in weight, balance, etc..., and then label them CN for the Chinese market.

15. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Not so sure about how Yonex manufacture, but CN is not for the Chinese market, it is for China National badminton team.

16. Quan

Quan Regular Member

BP(Badminton Player)
    Thanks for the replies you guys.

Thanks, now I know my raquet isn't bad.