Lead tape and moment of inertia

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mlvezina, Feb 6, 2004.

1. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Going along the same lines, has anyone ever experimented using lead tape near the handle cap (and would it be allowed)?

The reason I ask is because lead tape (and more sophisticated means such as metal plugs in the handle) is often used on golf clubs to tweak the moment of inertia (or center of gravity) in order to produce maximal velocity (and/or stability).

Cheers,

Mike

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I remember mod Cheung doing this on his Cab20 rackets when some weren't as balanced, if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

-dave

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
  4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
  5. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Geez, you need to install wings on that thing to improve aerodynamism :D

On a more serious note though, I did mention experimenting with lead tape on the grip cap (i.e. the opposite end relative to the comments in the thread mentioned by wood_22_chuck) to achieve something called counterweighting a.k.a. backweighting in order to reduce (not increase) so-called "head-heaviness".

See http://www.balance-certified.com/pages.php?page=03/08/26/3323025 for an extreme illustration of this concept applied in another sport involving rotational laws of physics.

Why would one want to try that ? Well, there seem to be numerous threads lately comparing MP88, MP99, AT700 etc. where the main concern is about candidate rackets being more head-heavy than the racket one is used to. This might turn out to be a simple way to tweak said head-heaviness.

Cheers,

Mike

PS: I have an MP88 and MP99, both 3U, and the MP99 feels like a baseball bat when I switch to it after having played with the MP88. I think I'll run this test on the MP99 out of curiosity...