NCCP Coaching Certificates

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by JChen99, Feb 6, 2004.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I'm wondering if its all the same (ie 5 levels) throughout the world?
    and for those of you who DO have it, I'm wonderin what levels you guys are at
    both theory and technical plz (does the technical bit help with improving your game?)
    thx!

2. viver

viver Regular Member

I've taken the Level 1 here in Canada. It was a 3 day course - about 15 hours course where they show you the basic strokes and footwork, plus some information on how to organize classes, health related info, etc.

For the level 1 coaching course I took before coming to Canada, I had 30 hours of basic badminton skills - by a Chinese national level coach, 10 hours of first aid and health - by a sports medicine doctor, and 10 hours of theory about theory of training and other related issues by a PE teacher. At the end of the course, you have written tests on all subjects. For badminton, you also have to demonstrate on the court that you are able to do all the basic skills taught in the course.

You can also do a search in BF forum as I believe Cheung also mentioned about coaching courses in HK.

3. Jus_anothr_grl

Jus_anothr_grl Regular Member

student
    I got the Level I theory, and technical. Just gotta finish up my hours and I'll be a fully certified Level I coach. Uhh...let's just say the technical clinic that I went to was poorly run. Infact, the instructor just sent the stuff to the NCCP last week when I had the course back in October..........

4. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    as for me, i was supposed to do lvl 1 with J_A_G.... but...it didn't happen.... go laziness!

5. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Australia has had three levels, but late last year teh National body split the level one into a Junior licence and Club licence. Level 1 in the past had a Badminton component and general principles (first aid, coaching kids, etc) which was run as
    a speperate day by the Australian Coaching Council.

I had done the previous level one about five years ago with a former Chinese international. Was a spereate therory practicle and a seperate general princiliples.
    Also involved doing a minimun hours coaching per year.
    Coaching also covered basic strkes, footwork, lesson planning, feeding drills, etc.

Now have recently done the Junior licence and waiting for cerification, I still have to
    send paperwork in. The major difference with this licence is covers all of the other pojnmts, minus backhand clears. Also general principles book is had out for stduying in your own time.

6. viver

viver Regular Member

Re: Re: NCCP Coaching Certificates

Wish you get your certification soon.

I also did the level 2 before coming to Canada. All the coaching courses were run jointly by the badminton association and the government sports institute. As usual the badminton coaches are from China and for lessons planning were left to PE teachers. There was also a recap on first aid and physiology class.

Level 2 discusses the strokes (interestingly backhand was part of level 1), different footwork patterns, conditioning. The badminton coach was the Guangzhou provincial team head coach. But the best was that the courses were entirely sponsored by the government, unlike here in Canada, you have to pay CAD 100 - 150, depending the course :eek:

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's Coaching Courses

I don't think badminton coaching courses are the same throughout the world. Maybe it is time for the IBF to standardise the courses so that the IBF Coaching Certificate is recognized worldwide, like they do for FIFA in soccer. Then coaches the world over who have acquired the same level can speak the same lingo.

Singapore conducts courses up to Level 3 for the present. The SBA (Singapore Badminton Association) is responsible for the Technical courses and the attachments to qualified coaches for practicals whilst the Singapore Sports Council conducts the Theory courses. To qualify for a coaching award as Coach, Senior Coach or Master Coach, the candidate must pass both the Theory and Technical courses and must also pass a course in First Aid conducted by the Red Coss Society. Such courses aim to train coaches to teach badminton from beginners up to the competitive level for high schools.

Unfortunately for Singapore badminton, we have not been able to coach trainees to coach at the national level yet and we are still relying on imported coaches to train our national players. Ideally, ex-national players would be good propects as national coaches as they have for soccer.

8. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

badminton/volleyball promoter
    I will be fully certified level 2 when my practical hours get sent in.

I don't think the technicals have helped my game much since I consider it common knowledge from years of playing, some others might find it useful and will improve their game play.

9. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    For coaches in Canada, you may be aware that the NCCP program is changing and they'll be changing the levels around a bit and merging Levels 1 and 2 together or something like that. It's happening this year so hurry up and finish those certification levels COMPLETELY (Theory, Technical, Practical) if you want to be a certified coach...

Visit www.ontariobadminton.on.ca for more information.

10. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    NCCP change in Canada

Just to follow up on Pointfore's comments. Here's some the details on the change that's coming to NCCP in Canada.

http://www.coach.ca/e/nccp/

"The new NCCP makes a distinction between coach training and coach certification. Coaches who need training will have opportunities to acquire or refine the skills, knowledge, and attitudes deemed important to coach effectively in a particular context. Coaches who want to be certified will be required to demonstrate their ability to achieve the requirements identified for their coaching context in areas such as program design, practice planning, performance analysis, program management, ethical coaching, support to participants during training, and support to participants in competition."

11. edward

edward Regular Member

I believe Level 1 and Level 2 Theory is being replaced by "Introduction to Competition – Part A" and "Introduction to Competition – Part B". This is for all coaching under NCCP. I think the Technical and Practical will still be up to the individual organizations. I have a Word doc that breaks down the 2 new levels which was sent to me from Provincial Coordinator.
    Part A consists of: Ethical Coaching, Planning a Practice, Nutrition
    Part B consists of: Designing A Basic Sport Program, Teaching and Learning, Teaching Basic Mental Skills.
    Not sure if this is a finalized version, but just thought I'd share.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes, it's markedly different.

For our most basic part in HKG, you have to go on a basic skills course of about 20 hours. The pass rate is only average of about 2 per class of 24. Many go just to try and learn basic skills. The sad thing is that the ones who pass are the ones who already have the basic skills. The others just fail because it takes more than 20 hours to learn a stroke to an appropriate level. Basically it is a filtering process to make sure teaching resources for those on higher coaching levels are not wasted on those who do not have the appropriate level of skill.

13. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Um... sorry I kinda forgot about the thread... :p
    but looking back, I guess there are differences in different countries. because I'm going to register for a theory course that's happening in two weeks time, and I was just wondering if adn when I get the certificate, it would be valid throughout the world or not, but I guess it would have some sort of translation between countries or continentsm after reading up on the sites to the links provided by you guys. Thanks!

14. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    I've heard recently that the new system that is being adopted only applies to the Theory course? Can anyone verify this? That means that the technical levels for NCCP would still be governed by Badminton Canada.

15. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    true