Do I actually need 2 point mounting?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Xuser, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Hi, still looking around for a decent price machine. Just wondering what others thoughts are on 2 point mounting stringing machine.
    I read somewhere that if we don't string above 27lbs, it is not necessary to have 6 point mounting system.

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It is true that it is not absolutely necessary to have a 6 point machine, and by the same token nor is it absolutely necessary to have seat belts in cars to drive it.The trouble is, most restring jobs tend to be on racquets that are not brand new and unused. Some may have had some clashes which could have micro-cracks or minor manufacturing defects in the frame not visible to the naked eye... and would probably remain dormant until you stress the racquet excessively. This could mean that even at moderate tensions, lower than the maximum warrantied tensions, you could end up breaking the racquet. A six point machine does not eliminate this problem, but it helps.... a lot. So if you had a choice between a 6 point and 2 point, why would anyone consider a 2 point other than it giving better access and perhaps a little easier to weave? Unless you are going to string very low tensions (

3. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I would consider 2 points system because they are more affordable. Is stringing less than 27lbs consider low tension?

4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    That is terribly incorrect. If you don't string above 10lbs, then maybe it is not necessary to have a 6 point mounting system.

2 points shouldn't even be considered anymore. There is absolutely no reason not to go for a 6 point. You'll pay 100$ more and save 1000s of dollars on broken rackets.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Depends who you ask. But generally speaking, maximum warrantied tensions are circa 24lb-30lb for most racquets... And I would not recommend stringing over that max tension on a 2pt. Anything at or above the warrantied tensions are considered high tensions... generally most would consider about 26lb and above as high tension.

If it were my money, and it was for personal use only, I would rather compromise on the tensioning system than compromise on having 6pt support. Or save up longer and get a 6pt.

6. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

I have used a 2-pt mounting machine before to string my tension at 26/28 (via crank) using a 2-piece stringing method (bottom to top). The racquet looked somewhat distorted as I believe the side mounts help with keeping the shape of the racquet during stringing.
    You'll notice that when you string the mains, the racquet will start to budge outwards on the sides of the racquets because of all the tension on the mains. Once you run the cross through, usually the racquet gets pushed back to the regular shape. But sometimes that might not be the case and that's where you will want the side mounts to help you.

I hope that helps!

7. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Thanks Trinity. That was good to know.

8. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Another note is that if you use the 2 pt mount machine, you may want to adjust the 12/6 mounts to "stretch" the racquet a little (you may do this on 6 pt mount machines as well). Based on what I've read and experienced, a 1-2mm stretch does seem to help maintain the shape of the racquet after stringing.

9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    How high do you intend to string and how often? If not over 24-25 lbs and not often, I would say a 2 point support is fine as a starter unit. I use the Klippermate and it serves me well. I mainly string for myself and only a few other members. If you do intend to go higher and string more often then I would suggest like others, skip the 2 and get a 6. So it depends on your price range and realistic intentions.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have seen some people do 2 point string, i have done it myself before.

it is a scary process, esp for lower end rackets with a softer head. the bulge can a quite pronounced and once i strung a slim racket that was too slim and too soft and it didn't survive 24lbs. that was a long long time ago.

fact is that 2pt mount while is possible, should be left for the more experienced stringer. but the catch22 is that most experienced stringers are probably higher volume and will already have a 6pt machine anyway.

for someone starting off, stay away.

11. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    It certainly is a catch 22. Plus part of the issue is not everyone getting started is going to stick with stringing, they may want a low investment to try it out. I think the OP has both pros and cons from all our posts. :)

12. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    You are correct mater. I don't want to spend too much money on a stringing machine that I'm most likely going to string for myself and a few club members. Who knows, I may not like stringing after a couple of months. Besides, badminton is played during our winter and early spring months which is about 6 to 7 months in a year, not all year round.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    perhaps going through the local classified may work out for you.

14. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Xuser, a couple more points for you to consider, do you play with plastic or feather and are your rackets high end, mid or low? If you play with plastic, you probably won't consider going high anyways, and if your rackets are low to mid end, the lost of a broken one is easier to accept. Not to say a racket is easy to break on a 2 pointer.

Kwun, great thought, I was thinking the same thing, picking up a used one, Xuser, if you decide it's not for you, you can sell it and recoup your costs more easily than paying full price on a retail unit.

15. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Mater, I play plastic most of the time. Not by choice though but most people at our club are not good players and they won't pay for feathers. I'm an advanced player and my racquets are high end. A couple of mid range ones.
    The tension I use now is 27lbs. If it was strung correctly with thin strings (BG66), it would be my ideal tension and string combo. Sometimes, I do play with feathers.
    The machines I'm considering are the Pro's Pro Shuttle Express, Gamma Progression II, Gamma X-ST and the 2 points Gamma X-2.

16. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Xuser, I'd suggest a 6 point machine then. For the reasons that you may want to experiment with higher tensions and you are already at 27 lbs, plus you say your rackets are higher end. Try looking for a used 6 point to save some money.

I didn't think it would be so but I actually find stringing fun and relaxing. I take my time and it is rewarding to have a finished strung racket that I can say I put this together with care. Plus, I can choose to change tension and string brands/model at a whim.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it enough to stay a stringer.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    IMHO, stringing is relaxing and somewhat soothing when done in small quantity. the months when i have to do more than 30 a month, those are when it start to be less fun.

the best part of course, is to be able to save a lot of money. when each string job can cost as low as $4/pop, it is much better on the wallet as well as much better for experimentation.

18. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    LOL, yes, if I have to string as many as you do, Kwun, I would have to request you edit my post and cross out the relaxing comment. :D Of course if I had that many to do, I too would praise the must need of a 6 point machine!

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not so many anymore. there just isn't enough time to string racket with other priorities in life these days. unfortunately for me stringjobs seem to arrive be either none for a couple of weeks and the suddenly i get a dozen within a week! my clients nowadays already used to getting racket back not within the next couple of days but for another week.

20. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Tell them the delay in getting the rackets back is a extra perk now provided by you, allows the string bed to settle in for better play! I agree though, as we all age, priorities change.