Crossing the center line with your feet while playing a shot

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by catman, Dec 5, 2013.

1. catman

catman Regular Member

Is it legal to cross the center line with your foot when hitting a shot? In trying to get a drop, I stepped over the center line - was able to get the drop shot without touching the net - but my foot had crossed over the center line.

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

It's fine. I take it you mean under the net? It is ok unless you obstruct/distract your opponent

13.4.3 invades an opponent’s court under the net with racket or person such that an opponent is
    obstructed or distracted; or

3. catman

catman Regular Member

Thanks - yes, my foot went underneath the net. So as long as opponents are not obstructed or distracted it's legal.

I would think if I am going to try for shot like this - then it's best to clear the shuttle or hit it cross court. If drop near me - they might view that as an obstruction.

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

yes correct completely legal.

If he is playing from the rear court I don't see how he could be obstructed/distracted as long as you remove your foot before he comes to the front to play it even when you play straight net. But yeah if you get in his way or start doing a hokey cokey under the net then it's fault.

5. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

Just to be clear, this is the space at the centre, directly below the net, right? In badminton courts, the centre line divides each half of the service courts (see diagram A, http://bit.ly/1jqJJho). You can, and will, cross this centre line in your court, even if you play para-badminton. However, the imaginary line just below the net, you are legally permitted to cross during a rally and are penalised for it, only if you obstructed your opponent playing a shot, or distracted from playing a shot.

And about "when hitting a shot" you mean, the shuttle is still in play, correct?

If you, including your billowing jersey, touched the net before the shuttle landed on court or was played by your opponent, then, you are at fault. Also remember, sometimes below the net will be the post-supports, if you touched this support, while shuttle was still in play, then fault.

#5 2wheels04, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  6. catman

catman Regular Member

Yes, I am referring to the line below the net.
    I mostly play doubles (recreational) so there is the odd occasion if I'm in the back court and the person at the front is contemplating, if they should go for the drop or not - I sometimes try for it just for the exercise (and sore back). So opposing net player might be there.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

lol, What the? A shot played by someone starting at the net to opposing side at the net is called a net shot. A drop shot is something played from rear/midcourt to net. What is your partner doing? who is contemplating?
    Anyway feel free not to answer those questions, enjoy your baddy and stop getting in peoples way under the net:D

8. catman

catman Regular Member

Sorry for the late response. Usually have partners, who believe their job is to hit the shots they can reach from where they are standing. Anything outside that is contemplative (is that a word?).

Additionally, they prefer to play side - side - but again they only hit what they can reach - so I have to cover the drop and clear - which I find harder. I don't cover the clear anymore - since they turn back and look if I'm getting it - I don't hit - when they are looking back. So just getting them to play the front - makes things much easier.

I mostly play for exercise - so I sometimes try to reach those shots, the courts are also very dusty, so very difficult to stop. Always wondered, if I was making a legal shot or not, since my momentum carries my leg over the center (below the net) line.

Thanks for the clarification on the "net shot" and "drop shot" wasn't aware of the distinction.

9. Tony M T

Tony M T New Member

If my racket goes across the net, while hitting a short is that wrong?

10. krysser

krysser Regular Member

No as long as you hit the shuttle on your own side.
    But remember that you have to hit the shuttle else it is not legal, and you will loose the point.

"13.4.2 invades an opponent’s court over the net with racket or person except that the striker may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker’s side of the net"

Also your opponent are not allowed to prevent this followthrough of your racket.

"13.4.4 obstructs an opponent, i.e. prevents an opponent from making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net"

phihag likes this.
  11. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Regular Member

Bloody 'ell, reviving a 4 year thread!

Whose short are you hitting? If yours, then nothing doing, your opponents will encouraging you. If your partner's then find another partner soon.