Results 1 to 11 of 11
12-05-2013, 02:42 PM #1
What have you done for others this year?
This is the end of the year holiday seasons, a good time to reflect on the year 2013.
Esteemed BC member @chris-ccc pointed out his philosophy in life in his introduction thread:
I hope everyone can reflect on what they have done, it can be something big or it can be something small, and it doesn't even need to be badminton related.
12-05-2013, 02:55 PM #2
what have i done?
in spring, i co-organized the only (and thus largest) non-profit corporate team tournament in silicon valley, 32 high tech companies with 500+ players. it was a blast but also a lot of work. but in the end, i think everyone had fun and enjoyed the comrade and company of each other.
recently, in winter, we started a training class for my company's badminton club. i am coaching a group of around a dozen mostly beginners. for beginners i started from the basics while for intermediate players we are focusing on improving and refining their techniques.
the 2nd half of this year has been a bit of a slow down for me when it comes to badminton. 2 factors. i am putting in more time with cycling and running. my fitness has improved a lot since. with the company training i get to spend less time actually playing so i end up with less quality hitting time than before. hopefully badminton will pick up again next year.
and then there is always BadmintonCentral, moderating, maintenance and doing the occasional reviews and video. but that's just a small amount of work as i can't ask for a better group of members here since everyone are so nice and discussions are already self regulated and constructive.
12-05-2013, 03:43 PM #3
Here is a thumbs-up to those selfless volunteers who give us such a great forum to frolic in:
Cheers to kwun and his merry band of Moderators. Thank you for all that you do.
Have a happy BC birthday and restful holiday season!
12-05-2013, 05:24 PM #4
I totally agree, BC is one of the most laid back relaxing discussion forums I've visited, two thumbs up from me to all the people involved that make this possible.
12-05-2013, 07:32 PM #5
What have i done
1. Badminton related
- Investing few thousand satay AGAIN after DLCW lost to LD in the previous WC. Something that I've mentally prepared even i am so damn sure he can win it. Regardless of the monetary losses and sleeping disturbance that LD has inflicted to me after defeating DLCW for all this many years.....i still enjoy watching them.
- After been advice just to participate in the veteran event, i participated in 5 open double tournaments and end up getting cramps in the QF and Final stage in 2 of the tournament participated..........i blamed my age for this
- Bought 3 new racket but end up giving all of them to my student........after i lost a bet to them (challenging them to beat a much higher ranking player in a few series of junior tournament in which..........they did managed to beat them .........i think there is some conspiracy here
- Start concentrating back in coaching after not accepting any students early this years in view of my involvement in few local leagues. It's fun to be back coaching as at certain time watching them learning bring back your own memories about when i start learning badminton in the young days.........
2. Non Badminton related
- Went to middle east for few humanitarian medical program......life is indeed difficult there.....
12-06-2013, 12:36 AM #6
Play badminton with absolute beginners. Supply birds when others are unwilling.
Always holding doors for others. Always say thank you for those who serve me. Always leave a generous tips after meals. Let the others go in front of me in the checkout if they are in a hurry, but never do this when my wife is present. Let others merge into my lane when driving.
12-06-2013, 03:38 PM #7
at work we have a Care Giving Campaign each year where a few dozen non-profit organizations would pitch their idea to the whole county of santa clara and we are encouraged to contribute either taking out a portion from each paycheck or give a lump sum via check or online. i supported the Susan G. Komen Foundation this past year, and it was especially meaningful to me since my fiance beat cancer in the beginning of this year
12-06-2013, 03:51 PM #8
gundamzaku liked this post
12-06-2013, 06:02 PM #9
12-06-2013, 06:03 PM #10
12-06-2013, 07:26 PM #11
not much actual contribution.
but i donated to one of the forest plantation project under my idol name.
the project end up to having 2 hectare (1 each for korea and thailand)
i also donated to project under my idol name.
1,donation to haiyan victim through UNICEF
2,donation to starving family with rice(the project accumulated 0.5 tone of rice)
will do more next year
Fidget liked this post