Question about string, tension and string durability

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Batu_Khan, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Batu_Khan

Batu_Khan Regular Member

Doctor
    Hi All!
    I am newbee in this forum and have some question. Unfortunately I can't found by "search" option answer for these one, threfore I hope for Your help. So:
    1. What string you prefer?
    2. What tension is optimal?
    3. How long your string is last out?

My level between advansed and prof.
    Raquets - Yonex Cab 20MS and Yonex MP55 (for double play) - I prefer more short :)
    Use only feather shuttlecock.
    Training 3-5 in week for 2-3 hours each.
    I prefer offensive style (many smash, clear).
    String is Yonex BG-65. String "life" about 1 month, but I think it is not enough. I try BG-68Ti, but result is worse - string broken in five days.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Since when has a clear been an offensive shot? Yes, there is such a thing as an "attacking" clear, but at "advanced to professional" levels this is not really an effective aggressive shot.

1. I don't yet have a strong preference. All I know is that I prefer BG65 strung at 21 lbs to standard shop stringing. I hate BG68-ti with a passion - I feel that the strings are "slippery". Just got BG85 at 23 lbs, but haven't tried it yet.

2. Finding the ideal tension is a matter of obtaining an optimal solution to a complex "equation" in 4 variables:

(a) Power
    (b) Control
    (c) String
    (d) Player

These variables are related in a complex manner. Control tends to increase with tension in all circumstances, but is probably only noticeable up to 22-24 lbs. Power is much more complicated: at low tensions beginners will get more power, but experts will get more power at high tensions. This is because experts can get much higher racket-head speeds at impact, so at high tension they get the right amount of string-bed deformation. If a beginner hits with a 25 lbs string, it will be like hitting the shuttle with a wooden board (no deformation). Finally, different strings have different characteristics: BG65 is reputed to lose 2 lbs of tension rapidly, and then remain constant, so *perhaps* new users of BG65 should string at higher initial tensions.

It boils down to this: if you have a fast swing speed, then higher tensions will be better. If you have a slow swing speed, then lower tensions will be better. The most sensible thing is to gradually increase your tension each time you restring until you find an optimal level (increment in, say, 2 lbs each time, starting at 20 lbs).

3. BG65 is supposed to be the most durable string, so if you are breaking strings once a month you should probably avoid thinner strings like BG85 or BG66.

In 7 years of badminton, I have only broken strings twice. I rule :D

#2 Gollum, Feb 7, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2004
  3. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

the Rackets i use are Yonex MP 99/Ti-3/MP 100. Wlison Hypercarbon 9.0. they are all strung with Yonex BG-65 ti @ 22 lbs.

MY Pratice Rackets are Yonex MP 24/77 and Wilson Hypercarbon 5.0 they are all the same string and same tension as the other 4.

A Clear is a Defensive shot. In 8 years of playing badminton i've broken about 15 lots of strings and broken 2 rackets.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! Clear shots have two kinds... offensive and defensive. A lift is definitely a defensive shot (lift = defensive clear). An offensive clear is a fast moving shot that travels high enough not to get intercepted in midcourt yet fast enough to keep the opposition pressured. It's used when the oppositions positioned too near the net and you want to push them back;).

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    1. BG80... a surprise, it exceeded my expectation of performance and durability. Before my CAB20 MS died on me, the string was performing very well at 23lbs.

2. Tension preference is around 23lbs. But I am going up the tension scale for experimental purposes. Current setting is 23M X25C (electronically strung).

3. Still too soon to tell. My previous use of BG 70PRO lasted a long time that I had to cut it when the tension dipped too low.

Not quite your level, Batu_Khan, I am an intermediate player who has just started playing feathers. But I do share your preference for regular length racquets. I favor oval frames and still possesses an MP55 as a spare.

Anyway, glad to have you aboard and welcome to the forum!

Ming

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    BG65 is known for it's durability. If that could only last u for a month, strings like BG68, BG80, BG85, BG66 should not be considered, unless u want to re-string every single week.

Another option might be BG65Ti. It has similar durability, and personally I think it gives a little bit more power, but u might have to scarifice the control a little bit, as it's ultra slippery.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Welcome Batu,

I do agree that BG65 is the more durable strings among the rest of Yonex's strings. I have tried it and it lasted me for about a month or 2. However due to my type of play which is more controlled over power . I change strings. I've used Bg68ti and 65ti as well. Both i've strung it between 27lbs to 29lbs. Sometimes 30lbs. The strings lasted me for less than a month. Sometimes i have to cut the strings due to loss in tension.

Currently i'm using Gosen Pro66. Which is a thiner string .66mm. I find it more durable and at the same time tension lasted much longer than the rest. And the good thing is that its much cheaper than the ti's. Its good in control, not slipperly and doesnt affect power at the same time.

8. paulzhere

paulzhere New Member

Student
    (a) Power
    (b) Control
    (c) String
    (d) Player

These variables are related in a complex manner. Control tends to increase with tension in all circumstances, but is probably only noticeable up to 22-24 lbs. Power is much more complicated: at low tensions beginners will get more power, but experts will get more power at high tensions. This is because experts can get much higher racket-head speeds at impact, so at high tension they get the right amount of string-bed deformation. If a beginner hits with a 25 lbs string, it will be like hitting the shuttle with a wooden board (no deformation). Finally, different strings have different characteristics: BG65 is reputed to lose 2 lbs of tension rapidly, and then remain constant, so *perhaps* new users of BG65 should string at higher initial tensions.

It boils down to this: if you have a fast swing speed, then higher tensions will be better. If you have a slow swing speed, then lower tensions will be better. The most sensible thing is to gradually increase your tension each time you restring until you find an optimal level (increment in, say, 2 lbs each time, starting at 20 lbs.

And what if you have a high swing speed but still use a loosely strung racquet? What kind of power will your generate?

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Interesting you brought a 4 year old thread from the dead. For your first post you actually searched first instead of making a new thread. Good on you paulzhere. If only new members were like you searching the forum for threads already there instead of making new ones.

Anyway, your theory would be right if the shots were based on hitting the sweetspot. If a mishit occured then different results would occur.

10. paulzhere

paulzhere New Member

Student
    Thanks for the reply phandrew... Actually everything except the last paragraph was quoted from a previous post in the last thread. I posed a question in the last paragraph but due to my foolishness or not having the quote highlighted, the entire thing seemed like a new post.

Anyway, my question still stands, "what if a player with a fast racquet swing uses a loosely strung racquet? What kind of power will he generate?"

I'm not an absolute beginner but maybe in the transition phase from a beginner to a mid-level player. But the problem with me is that I've been in this phase for too long. The biggest problem I face while playing is that my clears (both forehand and backhand) simply lack power. Most of the time they end up just mid-court. Although, I know my technique is not excellent, I'm sure it's not that bad. My footwork too is pretty okay. There's not much lacking in the physical department either since I go to the gym everyday and am pretty strong. This has led me to conclude that it's got something to do with my racquet. I use a Wilson Ti-Smash factory strung staff; been using it since over a year. One thing I notice is that after every aggressive shot, the strings get misplaced and I have to manually put them right before every point. Is the tension of the strings too low? What strings and tension do you recommend for me and given my racquet? (I generally play with yonex mavis 350 plastic birds)

Thanks in advance.

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

hi paulzhere,
    1) welcome to bcbf.
    2) regarding your question about loose string with fast swing. here is what i can offer.
    to generate power during a smash or clear (same idea except different aim) 3 things are at work here. a) your strength and head speed you can generate. b) string bed to store and transfer energy. c) racquet to store and transfer energy.
    a) you need correct technique and strength to generate the power and hit on the sweet spot. sound like you already got it. then it is the problem with b and c.
    b) string will store energy that you generated and stretch. when the string stretch, 3 things happen. 1) it stretch back. 2) it stretch side way 3) energy transfer into heat. 1) when string stretch back it will push all the energy back just like a bow and arrow. this is most efficient and best situation. 2) when string stretch side way, no forward or very little forward energy is transferred. hence you see the string is all bend out of place. 3) when string stretch and do not transfer to shuttle, it becomes heat and energy is lost. so you want a better string like bg80 or bg85. yes, tighter string bed will help too. however, too tight of string bed also store less energy to transfer back.
    c) the energy also transfer to racquet frame shaft too in the same way. both string and racquet share energy load you produced. so if your racquet is too stiff, you are not able to flex it, the string will bare most of energy transfer work. same as vice versa. except racquet do not have the issue of going side way, only miss hit.
    you need to pick a right tension so the string will not move too much side way. you need to pick a right racquet so you can properly flex the shaft during the impact.
    i hope this helps...