Backhand clear - need help picking basic technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by catman, Dec 6, 2013.

1. catman

catman Regular Member

So I have never been able to hit this shot. With youtube, I seem to be getting closer. However, I am getting confused with various coaches and techniques.

I was wondering if there was a recommended technique by the people on this board.

I came across the Xiong Guo Bao - videos - but in a another thread - people didn't think this was a good technique.

I saw Lee Jae Bok, Jimmy Lin, British Badminton assoc and few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

So if there is a recommended technique or video - that would be great.

Thanks in advance

2. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    You want to be able to do backhand clear by watching video without investing in coaching. Not even Einstein could do that.

#2 latecomer, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  3. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Backhand clear technique is not rocket science. The technique is actually more simple than forehand clear. Only reason it is a more difficult shot is that you practice it so much less, and you will mostly want to use it when you are already under pressure.

I think a good coaching video on internet can be equivalent to having a personal coach tell you the same things in person, as long as you have possibility to practice with other players too.

I think Lee Jae Bok's videos are very good. Maybe this video from thejym can be useful?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07XrnkvVSCU

Also read badmintonbible article on backhand clear
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/backhand-clear/

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9B2XtqICFw
    Don't get bogged down to much in detail. This video covers a back hand clear. It does not show grip but it is important to remember you do not use try to use the backhand grip if the shuttle is behind you and you have to fully turn your body the opposite direction of the net. Ignore lee Jae boks video(he is right but) I think it is confusing for a beginner(except the bit about how to use the wrist, listen to that very very important http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBMrmV2DYvo)

Concentrate on spanking the shuttle(focus power) and getting that nice flush sound and relax. That nice flush sound will tell you if you have the right grip etc.

Here - learn from the master ignore everyone else, just do what you see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0sY9Qof7J8

5. catman

catman Regular Member

I don't mind investing in coaching but I want to get clear in my mind the basics of the shot and the optimal way to hit it. Just looking at the youtube videos very well qualified players appear to be hitting the shot differently. So if I can straighten it out in my mind - I think I would get more out of coaching.

6. catman

catman Regular Member

Thanks visor and craigandy for the suggestions and the video links very helpful.
    I was hoping Taufik Hidyat had done a seminar on the backhand clear - it seems so effortless.
    But then again with extremely talented players - their technique might not be optimal as their talent could compensate for any mistakes. In my case it might get magnified!

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

about the comment about a video being equivalent to a coach telling you - A coach is not there JUST to tell you stuff. Arguably the most important aspect is to correct your technique

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    OP, why don't you post a video of you playing the bh clear. May be easier for people to comment and correct you.

9. catman

catman Regular Member

Very good idea - I'll try and record my stroke - next time I go to hit.

10. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    If money is not a concern to you, a qualify coach will save you time and agony. Badminton is a game of repetition, a coach will hasten the process. Who will be able feeding you the birds consistently beside a coach. The flight and the speed of the birds will tell you got the right technique or not.

11. fauci

fauci Regular Member

A backhand clear isn't difficult to hit. Relaxed, use your back and shoulder with rotation, don't slice the shuttle, and use feather not nylon. The most difficult part is the footwork to get to the position early.

12. catman

catman Regular Member

I mostly play with nylon - it's a recreational group, not everyone can hit the shuttle cleanly. Can I ask why feather would be better on the backhand clear as opposed to nylon?

13. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I can't give a scientific explanation. That's just my personal experience. The sound and feel of a feather shuttle gives you feedback on how accurate your hitting is.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Yah, feather if hit correctly is crispy. Whereas plastic provides not much feedback.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Here's another pro...

16. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Out of 100 badminton players, how many you would say can do a backhand clear in a match?

17. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Most recreational players can't, because they either get there too late in the first place or use a tennis backhand to hit.

I can do a baseline-to-baseline backhand clear if somebody feeds a shuttle to me, but in a match I can only do an awkward backhand drop because of poor footwork. I would do overhead otherwise if I really could get there early.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

This guys video's(link below) are really good, and good for learning as there are players asking maybe the exact same quastions you may have in your head. there are a few backhand vids he does, watch them:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eWrJyP0CP8

P.s it was vixter

19. catman

catman Regular Member

Ooops Sorry Vixter - thanks for the links.
    craigandy - thanks for this video - I had seen it previously in my quest for backhand clear. But just watching it now at 4:30 is what has been confusing me all along. I think, I'm starting get the shot now - atleast in mind.

I've been taking too big a swing and not really able to generate that snap - he demonstrates at 4:30 - how to generate the snap without using the arm.

Thanks

20. catman

catman Regular Member

In my experience 5 in a match and maybe 10 in practice.