User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who would win in their prime? Lee Chong Wei or Taufik Hidayat?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lee Chong Wei

39 42.39%
  • Taufik Hidayat

53 57.61%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

for reference:

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

and:

they look so young!!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't speed and power two of the 3 or 4 key elements, the other two being accuracy and deceptiveness, that go to make a true MS champion? And , I think, Lee CW is probably the speediest player in badminton, only Lin Dan comes pretty close to matching him in this aspect, maybe on par.

Precisely, comparing their respective primes in a vacuum,so to speak, unavoidably introduces a certain and significant degree of subjectivity,personal preferences (including bias and prejudice),lasting impressions (memories deeply etched in one's mind) and judgements (based on one's knowledge and experience of the game).

The problem is made more difficult mainly because Taufik is a child prodigy who peaked early on in his career and at a younger age than normal for most athletes and also, surprisingly in his case, he went downhill rather quickly, somewhat unusual.

For all practical purposes, we can say there's no such problem when comparing Lee CW with Lin Dan as their career developments, their trajectories, almost mirror each other's, so much so the conclusion reached as to which of these two is better actually speaks for itself; one would be hard put to argue otherwise.

Personally, to make my stand clearer, I'd put Lin Dan and Zhao Jianhua in the same league of their own, then followed in a respectful distance by Lee CW, Taufik Hidayat, Yang Yang, etc, not necessarily in that order ( to each his own).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm of the opinion that Lee CW's so-called mentality weakness only showed against his nemesis Lin Dan, and, to a considerable lesser extent against Chen Long recently. Against everybody else, Lee CW always exudes supreme confidence, many times winning by a wide margin, and is devastating more often than not.

But of late, Lee CW appears off-peak and, I don't know whether it's too early to say this, he showed signs of beginning to go downhill. Perhaps it's just a temporary phenomenon, another transition period for him (to what or in which way,I'm not so sure).

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LCW peaks around 2010 onwards. Taufik was around 2004. I still abstain

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    LCW peaks around 2010 onwards. Taufik was around 2004. I still abstain
    i think we can push Taufik back a little. 2005 or so when he won the WC.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    I'm of the opinion that Lee CW's so-called mentality weakness only showed against his nemesis Lin Dan, and, to a considerable lesser extent against Chen Long recently. Against everybody else, Lee CW always exudes supreme confidence, many times winning by a wide margin, and is devastating more often than not.
    I am not sure if i agree. it is ok to be mentally weaker when you are superior in speed and skill against lesser opponent. it is easy to play when everything is going your way. so he might still be mentally weak against these other opponent, but the rest of his skill made up for it.

mental strength comes in when playing an uphill battle. or when the scoring is tight. and the only players who seems to be able to do that against LCW is LD and CL.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    and:

they look so young!!!
    oh my.. I rarely watch TH videos (only some about his godly backhand smashes)
    but TH at his prime is pretty impressive. he played really well esp on his left (really close to the line), his return smash is also very good, and his shot is pretty spontaneous (I thought he will go for a clear or drive, then suddenly he decided to go for a smash)

TH at his prime is not fast, but pretty clever, and at least has enough stamina till the end of the game (TH that I watched since 2009 is like.. out of stamina really fast)
    LCW at his prime got power, speed and stamina. he can overwhelmed his opponent with almost brute power
    the winner? not sure. it is like strategy VS strength

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

this is Taufik at his prime:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish there was a HD version of the WC2005 ....

But the match between KJ and TH in that WC was a classic

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it is fair to compare LCW to ChenLong.. LCW is far more superior than CL for any record.. LCW is far more superior in quality , especially in consistency and speed etc..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really that unfair or unjustifiable to compare Lee CW with Chen Long. Maybe a bit too early to do so as Chen Long hasn't reached his prime yet, in my opinion, but already his H2H with Lee CW is quite impressive at 7-7 with his first victory in 2011 at the JPN Open followed by DEN Open'11 and the 2011 SSF (not to mention the one in 2009 at the India Open) when Lee CW was still in his prime.

Nobody else,apart from Lin Dan of course, even comes close to Chen Long's record against Lee CW.
    Last edited by Justin L; 12-10-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to change one's vote or remove it altogether? In a very short time I have shifted my position a bit, more of a "Don't really know" instead of a slight edge to Taufik.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please refrain from including other player names in comparison, start another thread if you would like.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    Please refrain from including other player names in comparison, start another thread if you would like.
    Agree. I was reading and reading and suddenly you find LD and CL names.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well,i think u guys all miss out one major factor.
    play in which tournament? malaysia open or olympic final?
    if in major tournament,i vote for taufik hidayat
    if in other tournament,i vote for lee chong wei.
    case closed

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching a lot of TH's early games against PG leads me to believe that Taufik used to be a winner by power and speed, but I see LCW as much more of a reserved player. I see Taufik's netplay and drives as distinct advantages over LCW. Also, much of Taufik's shots are intended to remove angles, but LCW plays a lot to the contrary. I voted TH

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast