Yonex NR Z speed success stories

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Xuser, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    It seems there are lots of negative feedback on the NR Z speed. Let's hear some success stories or good feedback.

2. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    Other than the shockingly flimsy paintwork, I quite like the Z Speed. Nice solid feel with a decent amount of oomph from the back court. Sounds great swishing through the air too ;)

3. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

no success stories here (wonder if anyone on this forum actually would have any with any racquet?!)...

but i've been enjoying the 2U version of the Z-speed for the past few weeks, it is much more lively than the 3U and the extra weight doesnt seem to bother me

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The Z-Speed was reviewd reasonably well by several testers on the french badmania website, including higher than expected ratings for defense. Of course what exactly includes defense (reaction speed or actual shot quality as well on the returns :D?) I am not too sure about; been a while since I (tried to) read it ...
    And of course the (playing) level of the testers was varied.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I successfully sold mine... does that count?

The ZSP was always going to create a stark divide - you were either going to be a "from my cold dead hands", or a "this is an orange turd of a racket".

6. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    I'm not quite one of those 'from my cold dead hands' people but I'm on that side of the fence. It's a good racquet but didn't blow my mind the same way the Gosen Ryoga Shiden or the Li Ning N90 did.

7. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
    I think you should ask Kenichi Tago, :p
    He will tell you that he use this racket won LCW. :D
    20131026-2007-frenchopen2013-cn2q5304.jpg

This is his Blog.
    http://ameblo.jp/tago1989/

You may leave a message, and ask him how he feel about the NRZSP.:)

8. disci

disci Regular Member

You really need to demo rackets for yourself. It's unfortunate that this isn't available for everyone.

Reviews are just personal opinions. This goes for every type of sporting equipment.
    You really don't know until you try it for yourself.

Personally, after demoing and playing with the Z-speed for a few games. I think it is a really good racket that is probably better suited for singles or maybe playing the back in doubles.
    The power generation on this racket is very good and fairly effortless. It is also much easier to use than a V-force or Z-slash in my opinion. However, fast reactions from front court suffered a bit for me due to the long shaft and flexy feel. Smashes and clears extremely good for the way I swing.

The thing that almost nobody ever mentions is that this racket plays much more like a flexible racket or maybe even a Gosen with 2 kick point system. I'm guessing this is due to the more flexible frame or whatever but I have the feeling that this might be why there are so many negative reviews on in.
    A lot of the people on this site just flat out prefer really stiff rackets and the z-speed definitely doesn't seem to play that way (at least to me).

Also the feel of this racket is more of a very solid damp thud (which I like). If you prefer something metallic with more feedback. Then you're probably not going to like this as much.

At the end of the day, whether you will have success with this racket really just depends on the type of player you are and what you specifically prefer.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. i have tried it for a little bit.

damped, soft and light sums it up pretty well.

having said that though, those are not bad qualities per se. however, it doesn't appeal to everyone.

as for Tago, we need to verify that the one he is holding is the same as the one available on the mass market. hard to say.

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    maybe that's why Tago likes it enough to play tourneys with it since it's a flexible racket just like the z-slash?

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for a similar racket, Adidas Adizero Pro.

light, slightly stiffer, excellent feel.

12. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Nanoray Z Speed is a unique racket , it is a great racket , but we must understand that it is not for everyone.

Really , Yonex broke through their barriers that's why their recent equipment fitted the PROS more , and the NORMS less.

13. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

the 2U version is less damped.

the only success of the Zspeed so far is that it seems to make a lot of people feel butthurt, whether they are yonex supporters or that of other brands.

14. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Sounds like this Z speed is like the Ti10 with longer shaft? Would the Z speed be considered close to the Z slash? I had the Z slash before and I played quite well with it.

15. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Z-Speed is NOTHING LIKE the Ti-10....

As first and foremost, my 3UG5 Z-Speed is more flexible and much more head heavy and overall heavy than my 3UG5 Ti-10 Limited...

The Ti-10 has a larger sweet spot than Z-Speed, and also a larger frame.

The Ti-10 has better feel in terms of upon contact with the shuttle (but the feel is nowhere close to any of my Gosen Ryoga rackets)

In terms of power, it really depend on your style of play. I find the Ti-10 is the sweet spot for arm and wrist players (a bit more advantageous to wrist players), whiles the Z-Speed is slightly better for arm/wrist players.

16. ezish

ezish Regular Member

wow! I was thinking to try the ZF II. I have been using Z-Speed 3UG5 Zymax 65 29lb for over a year now. I really love the racket. It took me about a month to get my timing right with this racket. I get more speed from my smashes. Clears is not as easy as with my Voltric 80 4UG5 LiNing 62+ 27lb. But i get more power using this racket for smashes compare to Voltric 80. I am comparing with VT 80 because I only own these two rackets. I use VT 80 when I play with plastic, I find I need a bit heavier racket for plastic birds (it's a weird beast, using plastic, but let's not open a discussion plastic vs feather). I play 5 times a week and only get to play feather 3 times (more advanced player at this club) out of that. Let's get back to Z-Speed. I love this racket so far. But Now that I am used to it, I am wondering to try ZF II.

I see people want to use ZF II when they want more power. Example: Chris Adcock. I know he wanted more power from his smashes and he switched to ZF II.

- The thing I don't get it, is that If Z-Speed can actually break the speed record why go to ZF II.
    - People say ZF II you can get more power but Z-Speed you get more speed. For me I feel the shuttle speed is higher with I use Z-speed.

I was curious about this. So, I recorded my swing with my HD Cam. I noticed if my acceleration is quicker, then I get to use the Racket flex as an added power; Otherwise, the un-flex happen at the wrong place and I don't get the added power. Hard to explain this. This means the swing has to be correct and to the point every time to get more power out of this racket. I need to concentrate and If I don't have time, I just use wrist, i don't go for full smash or I clear it.

17. ezish

ezish Regular Member

18. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    I think a new overhauled racket review is necessary since Dinkalot moved to Panda , we cant expect review from him for other racket . I think kwun if not bounded by adidas can do a complete review . I know its much but if it can give a new lease of life.

19. picard500

picard500 Regular Member

Mechanic
    Personally, Z-Speed is a great racket! It took a while to get used to it, but now i feel very confident with it! Important is the right string- tension, then it delivers great clears and smashes very satisfying! There are not really any timing- issues, but the Z-Speed needs a certain something to deal with it! But i like it and the flat exchanges i hated before ar a joy now! Merely the netplay is a kind of difficult, but slowly i can handle it!
    I can undersand that people are gainsaying, but its compareable with the famous Z-Slash: Either you love it or you hate it!! In my opinion that makes it very special, without being to demanding!

20. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    I think it's a pretty good racket. Took me about 6 hours of play to get used to though. It sort of sits in between my two favourite rackets, the Z Force 2 and Brave Sword 12. Smash technique has to be entirely different, with a bit more "last minute" flicking of the wrist.

It delivers more punch than the BRS12, if not as thumping as the ZF2. It's one of those rackets like the BRS LYD which I couldn't put a finger to, but somehow ends up in the racket bag anyway. Certainly not as bad as it's made out to be (at least not to me anyway).

If anything, it makes you work on your technique a bit more!

Now all you've heard about the paintwork coming off easily? That's definitely true :D