Is this receive legal?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by n0m5ky, Dec 9, 2013.

1. n0m5ky

n0m5ky Regular Member

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    legal. he only moved after the shuttle has been struck by the server. i dont' see anything illegal about it.

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

:DLol. Pretty underhanded but funny, can't believe players of this standard were fooled by something like this. Next point they lost with a net cord as well lol ouch!:D

4. catman

catman Regular Member

My vote legal - I think he made it look like he was about to call a "let" and catch the shuttle and then returned it. It should only work once in a match.

5. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    haha looks fine. would like to ask my friend to try it and see if there will be any dispute during game. lol

6. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Seems like the red shirt opponents had a grudge and acted pretty disrespectfully at 7:55 after they lost the point. Terrible sportsmanship =/

The point at 16:04 is awesome :D

7. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    The point itself was okay, but the half smash by the guy in the yellow shirt? That gave me shivers it was that good! He later tried to "blow the shuttle" to make it go out.

Edit: Didn't actually answer the OP's question... It was legal but the way he moved his left hand made it seem like he was going to catch it and call a let, but returned it. Not a very sporting move, but legal.

8. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Obviously these players didn't heed Lee Jae Bok's video on "cheating", trickery, and proper manners on the court.

9. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I should have been more specific, the last shot where both players jumped for it made it very deceptive almost as if they planned it.

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I don't think there's 1 correct answer for this. I think this would vary from umpire to umpire. I think the big thing here is in what perspective do you see the return as.

Everyone above pretty much answered it was a deceptive shot, such as screaming before smashing and possibly use it to fake out the opponents and drop it. But in this case, I can see an umpire calling a fault for the players purposely distracting the opponents by putting his hand up like he wasn't ready and then win the point.

This brings up Lee Yong Dae's match that was on this forum some time ago but the video got removed from youtube. LYD was receiving, puts his hand up indicating he was not ready. Then, he put his hand down, and right when the server served, he put his hand back up, hits the shuttle back to the server (basically giving him the bird back since he was not ready) and the server catches it. Then the umpire faults LYD. Why? Because by rule, the shuttle is considered in play once the receiver hits the shot (even though he was just trying to give it back to the server). The umpire faults LYD for distracting the opponent. He hits the shot back, the shuttle is in play, but the server catches it because he sees LYD is not ready, but the umpire considers the shuttle is in play, and LYD putting his hand up distracted the server, which is why the server caught it instead of playing another shot back. (Yes, it should have been a let in this case, but this is just an example of how an umpire can see the perspective of the receiver distracting the server and a fault is called).

11. disci

disci Regular Member

lol i don't anyone was being mad or disrespectful. seemed like these are guys who know each other and were having fun while they were playing.

btw: 19:05 is when the yellow guy smashed and then blows the return out haha

12. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

It is legal. I once did that with the same result, and we all laughed about it. :p

13. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

me, when they make a silly mistake, and i know i still have a good lead, i either wink (as if to say, i know ull do this, ive more planned for you where you'll repeat this a lot)....or act like im surprised they made such a noob mistake and act thoroughly disappoined and shake my head as if i expected them to be impeccable... sometimes it throws them off their game a bit, especially if it's someone younger and not so experienced ;)

the real fun comes when after the win, you tell them 'that particular point, that shot was great. i know what you were trying to do, i can read the deception behind it...you were trying to act like you're going to hit this <incredibly hard shot> but instead wanted to do this <evenmoreinsane shot> after doing a <jump/between the legs/turn around and hit it from behind>, right? yeah, that's a genius, ill keep practicing that too'. step back and watch their face ;)

14. rgbj_

rgbj_ New Member

Can anybody enlighten me: Is it legal to blow on the shuttle this way? I noticed Lin Dan doing it a few times in this match -- though each time, it seems clear the shuttle already is out when he does it

15. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

imo it's not exactly legally legal by the book; since in most cases, players can easily make it look like they did it unintentionally or make it look like they were gathering their breath or mask it, i'd say it
    falls more under the area of sportsmanship and reflects poorly on them.