sevice legel or not

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by arms, Feb 9, 2004.

1. arms

arms New Member

hello everyone i have been reading this forum for a while but i never posted here before,
    right my question is i played a match of level doubles yesturday and it was competitive, i got ready to recieve the shuttle and the server put his foot on the front service line and moved it at the last second and then served his service which i thought should really be brought up as a let as it was really distracting and it really got on my nerves and he did it on every serve or maybe it would even be a foot fault, i would really like to know your opinions on this.

Thank you

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here's the rules for Serve:

9. SERVICE

9.1 In a correct service:

9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once server and receiver have taken up their respective positions;

9.1.2 the server and receiver shall stand within diagonally opposite service courts without touching the boundary lines of these service courts;

9.1.3 some part of both feet of the server and receiver must remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position from the start of the service until the service is delivered (Law 9.6);

9.1.4 the server's racket shall initially hit the base of the shuttle;

9.1.5 the whole of shuttle shall be below the server's waist at the instant of being hit by the server's racket;

9.1.6 the shaft of the server's racket at the instant of hitting the shuttle shall be pointing in a downward direction to such an extent that the whole of the head of the racket is discernibly below the whole of the server's hand holding the racket as in Diagram D.

9.1.7 the movement of the server's racket must continue forwards after the start of the service (Law 9.4) until the service is delivered; and

9.1.8 the flight of the shuttle shall be upwards from the server's racket to pass over the net so that, if not intercepted, it falls in the receiver's service court (ie on or within the boundary lines).

9.2 If a service is not correct by virtue of any of Laws 9.1.1 to 9.1.8, it shall be a 'fault' (Law 13) by the offending side.

9.3 It is a 'fault' if the server, in attempting to serve, misses the shuttle.

9.4 Once the players have taken their positions, the first forward movement of the server's racket head is the start of the service.

9.5 The server shall not serve before the receiver is ready but the receiver shall be considered to have been ready if a return of service is attempted.

9.6 Once the service is started (Law 9.4), it is delivered when the shuttle is hit by the server's racket or, in attempting to serve, the server misses the shuttle.

9.7 In doubles, the partners may take up any positions which do not unsight the opposing server or receiver.

1. According to 9.1.3, if the server's foot is not touching the floor (not very clear in ur description, as he moves his foot) when he serve, it should be a fault.

2. Also, to me, if the server start to move (means, not "ready"), it should be a fault as well, as the serve was delivered without let the receiver to "get ready" in response of server's change of position. Therefore, if u don't have an attempt to return, it should be at least a "let". (9.5)

3. Also, which direction he's moving his foot? If he's already on teh front service line, and move forward, that means, he either touched or even crossed the boundry line, which will surely be a fault. (9.1.2)

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It is a fault if, during the delivery of the serve, the server places a foot on or outside the boundary lines of his service court. Further, during the delivery of service some part of each foot must remain stationary and in contact with the ground. You may redistribute your weight during serving, but you may not drag or lift a foot.

So yes, it was a fault.

4. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Assuming that his feet were within legal bounds after the move, I guess it all depends on what the feet were doing AFTER the racket head started moving forward (see 9.4) rather than BEFORE (since before is apparently not considered part of the serve).

If he managed to stabilize his stance and thus comply with 9.1.3 during the time interval mentioned in 9.4, would it be considered an illegal serve or simply an annoying one ? Also, if the latter applies, are there other rules that cover what is and is not acceptable in terms of "distractions"?

Cheers,

Mike

5. arms

arms New Member

let me clarify what happened, i was ready to reicive the service and had stationed my self perfectly the server put his foot on the service line as if to serve and i would of defenitly called that a foot fault but then he moved his foot 2 inches back and on the floor and then served which i was not ready for as i was looking at his foot position and tried to recieve the shuttle which was very difficult as i didn't know if he was going to flick or play short service can any of you please tell me how you would deal with this in a match situation.

I think this would come under causing a distrataction which would be claimed as a let i think and thats what i might do next time we play them.

I would greatly appreacate any hints you could give me

ps thank you for your replys

6. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    I assume this is in competition.

There are a few ways of dealing with this situation.

1. Call for let and ask umpire for direction on problem.

2. Feign looking away etc and claim not ready if you think this is
    a delibrate ploy by server. Many competitive players hold up one
    hand and avoid eye contact untill they are sure server is set ready to serve.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You've got a tricky opponent indeed and you must try not to be distracted by him.

From your description, it appears to me that your opponent cannot be faulted, assuming:

1. He started his serve (moving his racket forward to strike the shuttle) with his feet standing within the service/center court lines. He might have initially stepped on the service line but he withdrew inside before he served.

2. His feet remain in contact with the floor.

As suggested, if you are not ready to return the service, because you were temporarily distracted, don't attempt to do so. A 'let' will be given. Stand still, for if you have moved, you will be considered to have made an attempt.

If you are not happy with the gimmicks of your opponent, inform the umpire but if he thinks there is no distraction, then you must try to live with it and concentrate on the shuttle and not on your opponent's body.

Some players try to delay the service by holding the shuttle as long as it is allowed to test their opponents' patience. So you have to learn to get wise to these tricks and not be distracted!

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If this is the case, then I don't see any clear "fault".

To me, if I got greatly bothered by such opponent, I might consider the following:

1. Don't attempt the return, therefore, should be a "let", and I can claim I am not "ready" as the server was still moving. If play a mind game, let's get it on. However, the game will be madly long, and might be boring in some points.

2. Try to concentrate on the shuttle and the direction that the racket face pointing. Overall, we need to know where the shuttle going to be, but not really his body. This might need some "case study", and u might be able to figure out his "habbit" after playing some games with him.