Ryoga Shiden Vs NS9900

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by juventus1, Dec 10, 2013.

1. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

NS9900 is my first racket... I've sold it 2 year ago due to disappoint in the power generated by the racket.

At the recent Yonex sales, i bought it again.

Have a session last night with this racket again.... after 2 games... it was return to the bag again..

of course i would not want to compare it with my favourite shiden but i write this reviews for those who are interested.

Shiden is +2 stiffness but it is stiffer than NS9900
    Repulsion - Shiden repulsion is better
    Defence - almost the same between the 2 rackets.
    Shiden being a balance racket has more power as compared to NS9900
    Drive - Shiden flat drive is faster and accurate.

considering all the above... I guess why in the first place i want to buy NS9900?? both are very quick rackets...

I should have stick with Shiden...

2. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

I wanted to get a Shiden but its very hard to find one nowadys. The shop I went to who sells Gosen rackets instead intro me to the Trivista 800... supposedly a "enhanced" version of the racket.... how true is that?

3. ZeroSOFInfinity

I wanted to get a Shiden but its very hard to find one nowadys. The shop I went to who sells Gosen rackets instead intro me to the Trivista 800... supposedly a "enhanced" version of the racket.... how true is that?

4. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

no way!

you are either better off with the ougi, shiden or the type V.
    i find shiden with the best repulsion. the m40 carbon content is high and whenever you hit the shuttle the "pinGGG" sound is just so nice.. :p

5. ZeroSOFInfinity

Well, I will try out the Trivista 800 first and see how it goes - maybe it suits me after all (I'm more of a control player).

6. vajrasattva

yep you should.
    the only reason why i distanced myself from the shiden was due to my adaptation to head heavy control feel racquets, with the shiden i find that i have to consciously "absorb" the shuttle a bit more if not there are always placement mistakes

7. ZeroSOFInfinity

What I learned about the Shiden is that it's a bit harder to adept of all the 3 (or 4) Ryoga series. I love the Tenbu, and awaiting the Issen, but have been futile (so far) in finding a Shiden.

By the way, how's the Ougi? Looks like it's a fave of yours.

8. vajrasattva

that's strange that you find it hard to locate shidens.. there are lots of blue ones floating around malaysia.

ougi? never really liked it over the shiden.. :p

9. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

Indeed, the Blue and Purple one should be WIDELY available... The Ougi should be the harder one to find for sell as there was only 1000 pcs made..

I like my Ougi more than my Shiden on my down days... I felt the Shiden at times is a bit too stiff. But for me, both Ougi, Shiden are equal great rackets. imho.

10. ZeroSOFInfinity

Well in KL and Selangor its like finding a needle inside a haystack. The only 2 stores with Gosen (Hock Eng and CbsSports) have the Tenbu and Trivista 800. That was it. The only way to get one is either by online, or travelling to Penang or JB to get - and that is not going to happen in the near future.

On the Ougi... since you prefer the Shiden... wanna sell it? :p

11. ZeroSOFInfinity

Unfortunately in Malaysia the craze are on Yonex and Victor rackets. Li Ning is a bit further behind due to the price. We have many clones too (Fleet and Yone). Gosen however is lacking very far behind as onlu very few have them (and even stock the rackets).

12. Leizo

Leizo Regular Member

LED
    I have the type V and blue shiden. Type V power is a little lesser than the shiden but it makes up by having a larger sweet spot. In terms of play, both are awesome and similar to each other. Its fun switching between this two brother rackets. I have the purple shiden too but somehow it feels different... was tempted to get ns9900 but a friend told me if i have shiden, ns9900 will be in the bag most of the time...

13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Hnn I had the pleasure of using the shiden last week for a full game and I had just gotten an NS9900 as well and was using them side by side. personally I prefer the 9900 as it allows me to be lazier and defence was easier. Racket speed between both the 9900 edges it out by just a small lil bit. I can't comment on power though as both rackets were string differently but I was surprised with the shiden. First time ever picking it up and using it and I had little to no timing problems even when taking shots slightly behind me or while still moving backwards to make the quick clear or check smash.

Defence was pretty easy too but not as comfortable as the 9900. I attribute that to be due to the small sweet spot due to the frame shape. The 9900 has a huge sweet spot to complement the stiff shaft where as with the shiden I felt I had to put in more effort to defend properly.

On a personal note I think for myself that the 9900 would still give me better smashes than the shiden as it complements my lazy relaxed play style on lousier days or weaker opponents better than the shiden.

14. ZeroSOFInfinity

I just finished a session with the Trivista 800..... and all I can say is...... lovely. Just lovely. Its like the NR 700RP, but with better power and control. This racket is a keeper for sure.

But I would still want to try out the Shiden to see what is it all about... if permitted :D

Oh about the 9900.... I tried once but it feels slightly hollow to me. The 700RP has even better repulsion than the 9900. Just my 2 cents.

15. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

better smash with NS9900?? based on spec, it can't be.... Shiden is balance racket, smaller frame, thicker frame therefore i can't see any reason why you can smash harder with NS9900. I do agree that NS9900 is a good leisure racket for lazy days...hehehe

16. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Lol based on spec maybe not. Based on personal technique it gives me better consistency and results :p

17. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

one thing about gosen racket is that they try to make racket more repulsive and powerful w/o making it head-heavy.

If you like NS9900 to be a good leisure racket, please try Ryoga Ouji... faster, more repulsive, super sound effect (breaking bamboo sound!!!

18. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Nah hahaha no interest in gosen honestly xD Victor will always be my brand of choice :3

19. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

^ second tat on Victor n NS9900 preference haha. NS9900 is gud n easy to use :)

20. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I find that the 9900 has this huge sweet spot no matter how high I string lol that's part of what makes it so easy to use and play with. it kind of helps to counter the stuff shaft