2013 Merry Christmas & Happy 2014 New Year Greetings to all BCers !!!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Dec 11, 2013.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Another Christmas is near; So is another new year is approaching.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Greetings to all BCers !!!

Also, Happy Birthday to BadmintonCentral !!! :):):)

I was talking with a trainee of mine, telling him that doing footwork is like doing dancing (a set pattern is the best).

I am sending him a youtube to watch; I thought I shall send it to all BCers too. Watch their footwork. :):):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZD_ZzubDxs

The Waltz of the Flowers, a score by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, is often performed at concerts everywhere at New Year's time.

Watch how strong their legs and arms are. Enjoy. :):):)

#1 chris-ccc, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Thanking kwun for sending us a present, BadmintonCentral

Hohoho... kwun liked the greetings. :):):)

We should thank kwun for building us a present, BadmintonCentral, at one Christmas time. BCers can research how BadmintonCentral was founded, and why it was at Christmas time.

BTW, let us talk something here which is related to Badminton:

At one Christmas, one of my uncles, who was playing Badminton then, gave me a Badminton racket as a Christmas present. It was a beautiful racket, a wooden Aeroplane racket. Unfortunately, that racket broke after a few years of playing. If not broken, it would be a great treasure to keep.

Where did we play? We made a court for our personal use. It was an outdoor court. Unfortunately, that court is now gone too. I regret I don't even have a photograph of it to show you BCers.

I set off to search for a similar court (via the internet) to show you.

This is one link that I have found. It's even better, it shows you how to make a Badminton court. Link: http://www.thedailystar.net/beta2/news/badminton-court/

The link also shows you pictures of the court (similar to the court that I used to play on). I shall cut and paste the article below:

Badminton Court
    By Arman R. Khan
    From The Daily Star

As the Sean Bean memes around the networking sites suggest, winter is coming (at a glacial pace it seems). And with winter comes our seasonal fondness for badminton. But not many get to play badminton in a proper court. It is, however, not so difficult to make a court for personal use, depending on how professional you want the court to appear.

Location: Most of us play badminton in the parking lot, on the alleyways, or in any of the local fields/open spaces. But if you want to feel like a pro, you need an empty space with an even ground. If outdoors, look for a place shielded by trees, so that wind doesn’t affect your game. Also, if you play after sunset, make sure there’s an electric connection within the reach for ample lighting.

The measurements: First, get a tape-measure. Then on your chosen location, measure 44 feet by 20 feet, considering you’ll play doubles. For singles, the width of the court would be 17 feet instead of 20. If your location doesn’t allow that much space, just shrink the size a bit, but try to keep the size length-to-width ratio as close to original as possible. The net is to be placed in the middle of the 44 feet length, so remember to mark the 22 feet line for future reference. For more details, use Google.

The paint: This portion depends entirely on how much you are willing to spend. You can paint the entire court green or blue, and then lay out the boundary lines in white. Or you can simply lay the boundary lines with paint, spray paint, or lime powder or boric powder. In such cases, your lines should be an inch and a half in width, provided you’re planning a professional court. Otherwise, use the age-old Bengali method of drawing lines with pieces of brick. Just ensure you draw the lines straight.

The posts and net: Buy a net from any sports shop. If you’re so broke that you can’t even afford a net, you may use your mother’s georgette orna or saree, provided you find one that’s 17-20 feet long. Now, to hang the net you need posts. If there are trees or light posts close to the court, tie the net to those using ropes, which is the more Bengali thing to do. Otherwise, get posts/pipes/rods and use them instead. The top of the net should be at an altitude of approximately 5 feet.

The lighting: Considering you’ll play after dark, you need sufficient lighting. If you aren’t playing near a light post, you can buy bulbs and set them at different points as to illuminate the entire court. However, take expert help for the electric connections.

The above is a simple, doable guide for setting up a personal badminton court. The time needed to set up this court may range from an hour to a week, depending on your work rate and how professional you want it to look, and the cost of making it will vary similarly. If all else fails, you still have the alleyway to conquer.

Tips:

1. When selecting a location, ensure there are ample escape paths, shall the political unrest be an issue during your game.

2. Don’t pick up any red object you discover lying around on your court. It might be a cocktail.

3. Racquets can be expensive these days. If you don’t have one, use the electric ones that your security guard uses to kill bugs. Or not.

4. You gotta buy shuttlecocks. There’s no alternative.

PHOTO: DARSHAN CHAKMA

#2 chris-ccc, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

Merry Christmas.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One of my daughters, who takes dance, can build up movement and shadow footwork routines pretty quickly. When I asked her to follow my rhythm, she is very fast at picking that up - I.e. changes of pace of feet. However, when the shuttle comes, her technique breaks down. I guess that's why we need to practice!

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Dancing on a badminton court

You are correct about dancers. They train themselves;
    * to maintain good balance as they move.
    * to keep count of movements required to be taken.
    * to focus on their weight transfers as they move in any direction.
    * to concentrate on breathing correctly as they dance.
    * etc, etc, ......

Regarding "when the shuttle comes, her technique breaks down", I bet it is because of some panic, because she is mesmerised by how the shuttlecock travels towards her (its flight trajectory and its slowing-down speed).

Later, after she has learnt/understood how the shuttlecock travels towards her, she should be able to move in time with the shuttlecock.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Just heard this unusual Loreena Mckennitt's Christmas song; Mixing Celtic and Middle Eastern themes together - O tidings of comfort and joy.

I thought I'll send it to you BCers to listen too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCYSITWpKIk

Enjoy. :):):)

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Christmas Day in Melbourne is over

Christmas Day in Melbourne is over (just 30 minutes ago).

Now, here comes Boxing Day. :):):)

I feel sorry for shops/retailers on Boxing Day. Many people purchasing/receiving badminton rackets for/from others as Christmas presents will be returning/exchanging their rackets, saying; "Sorry this racket is not suitable for my playing style".