Anyone knows about the MIZUNO Caliber series??!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tyshk, Dec 11, 2013.

1. tyshk

tyshk Regular Member

2. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

Yeah I'm a bit keen on this as well. Anyone know where to get it aside from shuttle house?

3. groovyshot

groovyshot Regular Member

computers
    Just got back from Tokyo and picked up the Caliber 700 from Wembley sports in Shibuya. Mizuno Caliber rackets appear to be a japan only distribution and may be hard to find elsewhere. I tried to find them in HK to no avail, most didn't even know that they existed.
    Back to the rackets, they had a versions of the Caliber series. I tried to evaluated them in shop with limited swing space and this is what I found out:
    Caliber 800 - head heavy, 3u only, stiff but had some whip flex probably due to being head heavy.
    Caliber 700 - even balanced, available in 3u and 4u, found the shaft to be more stiffer than the 800 but that may be due to the even balanceness.
    The gentleman at the shop said that the 800 and 700 are basically same material, the only difference is in balance and color scheme.
    I picked up the 4u version of the 700, as I've been using 4u for some time and can generate the power, plus play singles as well. I need all the help I can get.
    It's not strung yet, so report later on.

4. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Looking forward to your review !

I have been using the TC700 since 2007 and the racquet is still going strong after all these years ! The only issue with it is the non standard grommets. I wonder if it is the same for the Caliber series ?

Interesting info about the 800 and 700 being the same except for the bp. I am surprised that the 4u 700 has a bp of 303mm versus it's 3u counterpart (305mm). Normally the lighter version will have a higher bp to compensate for the lack of mass. The difference between the 800 and the 4u 700 is 4mm bp, in which case, I will go for the 4u 700 as I prefer the color and also need the speed.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Don't forget pics and actual (weight and) bp measurements [​IMG]. From the numbers you wouldn't call it even balanced and there is a minimal difference as well with the 800.
    Coincidentally I had been going over the series on the website just the other day (once again :D) and I'd probably still (have to) go for the Luminasonic 11's over the Caliber series.
    Hong Kong prices would probably be on par with japanese prices at the current exchange rates so no point* in waiting for a HK release ;) (* depending on your home currency :p)

6. groovyshot

computers
    Not back home yet, so haven't strung up the racket. I've taken pics of the racket in it unstrung state just to wet everyone's appetite (and to document the racket, hopefully it isn't too geeky).

7. groovyshot

computers
    Mizuno Caliber 700 pics

Here are the pics... IMG_3131.jpg IMG_3147.jpg IMG_3146.jpg IMG_3145.jpg IMG_3144.jpg IMG_3143.jpg IMG_3142.jpg IMG_3141.jpg IMG_3140.jpg IMG_3139.jpg IMG_3136.jpg IMG_3135.jpg IMG_3134.jpg IMG_3133.jpg IMG_3132.jpg IMG_3148.jpg IMG_3143.jpg

8. Renmazuo27

^ Oh wow! That is one sweet looking racket!

9. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Really nice looking racquet ! Thanks for taking the effort to upload the pics. If possible, do give us a review of the racquet. BTW, it seems that the grommets are small and not the usual size ?

10. groovyshot

computers
    Now that you mentioned it, the grommets at the 6 o'clock position do appear a bit small. However the grommets at the other positions appear to be about normal (or close to normal). When I get back home (in about a weeks time), I'll weigh the racket and figure out the BP, unstrung. I'll probably get my pro shop to do this as they're more equipped and are racketheads.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Slightly colour corrected ;), but still looks golden(?) ... Is it?

I swear I made a Panda Power design with flames going halfway up the shaft similar to (but well before) this Caliber series, but no flames on the head though (in this 700 design, the frame would be completely yellow/golden but I like this better probably). Panda disaproved so thank you Mizuno :D!

IMG_3131.jpg

7tb-30127-1.jpg

#11 demolidor, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  12. groovyshot

computers
    First Impressions - 4 hour test

Finally got he racket strung and had it out for a couple of hours.

Measurements:
    Strung weight: 88 grams; Unstrung weight: 85-86 grams;
    Balance Point: 305mm; strung with BG-80 Power @ 26lbs.
    4UG5 - Added Yonex Clean Grap - one layer.

Preface:
    My regular racket, Victor MX80, VS-850@26lbs 4UG5
    Playing style: Advanced (offense/defense - 50/50). Doubles and Singles.

The racket feels amazingly head light and not as stiff as the MX80, but only slightly. One can certainly get more head speed with this racket. However at 4U, weight behind the shuttle is a bit less. Manipulation of the racket is quick and effortless, so one doesn't have to labor to get the racket in position.

Since I'm using BG80-Power for the first time, this may be adding to the experience.

This appears to be a control racket in its 4U form. I suspect that a 3U configuration may tip the scales toward a balanced power mix. The fact that this is my first use of the racket, shouldn't be a construed as a true assessment. More time with the racket will allow me to figure out the subtle nuances and better assess its strengths and weakness'.

Being a quick racket it would be suitable for tight doubles play with the emphasis of setting up for the big kill. Defensive manners are fairly natural, which don't require too much attention to detail.

I must mention that the BG80-Power is an amazing string. Cross strings never veered offline even once during the 4 hours (almost as if they were glued together). No break-in required.

After several more sessions with the racket, I'll post a more definitive assessment.

13. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Nice racket. too bad wont be available here. have to get it from Japan

14. Renmazuo27

Well bengguan said he/she? Said they had a few in stock and asked me if i was interested. I replied saying i was ( for the calibre 800) and i got no reply back since..

15. erikfast

erikfast Regular Member

I saw it listed on shuttle-house.com.

16. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    You can find it on Rakuten as well.

17. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    check rakuten only tacchi ship to Brunei but they only accept bank transfer. Hard to communicate with them. This Mizuno is quite expensive.

18. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
  19. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Thanks for sharing

20. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Very nice looking Mizuno racket. Honestly, only recently did I hear that Mizuno makes rackets. :)