Asia Cup Participants/Predictions

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Here are the Asia Cup participants...... This is one of the reasons why i'm going to watch it, top class players in action.....

China: Chen Hong, Xiao Hui, Zhang Jun, Zhang Wei

Hong Kong: Tam Kai Chuen, Agus Hariyanto, Ng Wei, Ma Che Kong, Yau Kwun Yuen, Liu Kwok Wa, Albertus Susanto Njoto

India: Pullela Gopichand, Abhinn Shyam Gupta, Jaseel Ismail, Vincent Lobo

Indonesia: Hendrawan, Taufik Hidayat, Candra Wijaya, Sigit Budiarto

Japan: Takuya Katayama, Yuzo Kubota, Keita Masuda, Tadashi Otsuka, Hidetaka Yamada, Shinya Ohtsuka

Korea: Lee Hyun Il, Shon Seung Mo, Yoo Yong Sung, Lee Dong Soo, Chung Jae Sung

Malaysia: Wong Choon Hann, Ong Ewe Hock, Yong Hock Kin, Chan Chong Ming, Chew Choon Eng

Singapore: Indra Wijaya, Ronald Susilo, Patrick Lau, Aman Santosa, Kendrick Lee

Predictions?
    MS: Pullela Gopichand IND, Taufik Hidayat INA, Hendrawan INA or Chen Hong CHN This one is very hard to predict seeing there are lots of top class players here...... Just another reason to go and watch.....

MD: Candra/Sigit INA

2. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Erm Byro... how does your prediction work? This is a team event, featuring two singles and one doubles. It's like a shortened version of the Thomas Cup.

3. ari

ari Guest

i believe Asian cup is not a team event,it is individual play

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it's a team event.

Indonesia won the previous two Asian Cups.

5. just me:)

just me:) Guest

Ari, Asian Cup is an team event (2 Man single and 1 man double), just like kwun and adel said.
    And my prediction is that Indonesia will win it again because Indonesia send a full and best team . Some of the countries send their young player to give them more wxperience. So I believe Indonesia will be able to win it agaim

6. Kelly

Kelly Guest

Lets wait and see. I believe the Koreans can count on Lee Hyun Il and Lee Dong-soo-Yoo Yong-sung.

7. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I believe the Koreans can give Indonesia a good run for their money but more so in the two singles events. The Lee and Yoo pairing has traditionally been weaker than the Indonesian MD teams - I make this statement based on their past matches with Candra/Sigit (prior to Sigit's ban) who will be playing in this tournament. But it's been a couple of years now so I s'ppose anything can happen.

On the other hand, their MS is clearly on the rise with Lee Hyun Il and Shon Seung Mo. Indonesia looks to have disappeared from the scene in recent tournaments.

Sth not related to the A-Cup: does anyone know what happened to Chung Jae Hee (WD)?

8. Kelly

Kelly Guest

According to a local dailies' article early this year, she has hung her racquet together with Ra Kyung-min.

9. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Huh? But I thought the Koreans took Kim Dong Moon out of Men's Doubles so he could concentrate on the mixed with Ra... hmmm.