User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Some questions of grip types.

    Hi. I'm quite new at badminton and i wonder what the difference is between replacement grip and overgrip. I also wonder why many people have 2 or 3 layers of grip instead of 1 grip straight on the wood.

    Last question: Can you use yonex AC102 EX Super Grap directly on the wood or should you have a grip under the AC102 EX?

  2. #2
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,130
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    replacement grip: designed to replace completely the original grip. ie. take out the original grip down to the wood. and then wrap the new grip on.

    overgrip: designed to wrap over the original grip.

    number of grip tapes: that's just hand size and personal preference. some ppl have bigger hands, some don't. some ppl prefer holding a potato, some prefer cucumber.

    super grap: supposed to be a overgrip. see above.

    lastly. please don't cross/double post in different forum. sooner or later someone will reply your questions.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Need help about different types of grip tapes!

    Hi. I'm quite new at badminton and i wonder what the difference is between replacement grip and overgrip. I also wonder why many people have 2 or 3 layers of grip instead of 1 grip straight on the wood.

    Last question: Can you use yonex AC102 EX Super Grap directly on the wood or should you have a grip under the AC102 EX?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think Kwun just about explained it. I would like to add that although Yonex AC102 is designed as an overgrip, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from using it straight on top of the handle. Just be prepared to feel any mishit shots a lot more.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,190
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dookien View Post
    Hi. I'm quite new at badminton and i wonder what the difference is between replacement grip and overgrip. I also wonder why many people have 2 or 3 layers of grip instead of 1 grip straight on the wood.

    Last question: Can you use yonex AC102 EX Super Grap directly on the wood or should you have a grip under the AC102 EX?
    I heard you can get some nitto tape or something from MBS, wrap it over the wood then over grip it with super grap I haven't done it before though.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if the 'replacement grip' you are talking about is the normal type of grip, i might be able to help.

    Replacement grip is the normal grip that you can use to tape over the exposed wood part of the racket handle.

    On the other hand, over grip is significantly thinner and used to tape over a section of either an old replacement grip or new base grip. it is definitely cheaper too.

    For example, if you buy a new racket, there is this base grip. you can either use a over grip on top on it OR remove the base grip and tape a new replacement grip.

    So its your choice!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    reason for 2 posts is that my pc lagged up. sry for that

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    setapak
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...5&d=1309264822

    So this thin grip is actually used for overgrip? Never bought it before, cuz it seems so thin and i thought it will wear out easily. Any idea or comment about this grip?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,457
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SparringKiat View Post
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...5&d=1309264822

    So this thin grip is actually used for overgrip? Never bought it before, cuz it seems so thin and i thought it will wear out easily. Any idea or comment about this grip?
    it is overgrip. and it is a fake yonex overgrip (usually you can find it in cheap store here in China, or comes with fake racket. beware when buying a Yonex racket and receive this kind of bonus).

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    setapak
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    it is overgrip. and it is a fake yonex overgrip (usually you can find it in cheap store here in China, or comes with fake racket. beware when buying a Yonex racket and receive this kind of bonus).
    Fake meaning by Yonex does not produce overgrip like this? Or the one in the picture is a clone product of Yonex? And so this is not a good grip?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,457
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SparringKiat View Post
    Fake meaning by Yonex does not produce overgrip like this? Or the one in the picture is a clone product of Yonex? And so this is not a good grip?
    they don't produce overgrip like this. Yonex overgrip usually comes in set of 3 (not sold one by one like in the picture)

    example of genuine Yonex overgrip (super grap)



    this one is Yonex Wet super grip (as far as I know only being sold in Japan so better to avoid it other than buying from trusted seller such as mybadmintonstore):



    *DO NOT TRUST: badminton365, dhgate, alibaba, they sold fake badminton products (racket, grip, etc, all FAKE)
    **try RKEP for cheaper and better alternatives they don't have fake since it comes directly from the seller (This forum's member, look for SquashEric)
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...22#post2167222

    only replacement grip that is sold one grip per bag.
    example:



    **for replacement grip, I prefer Karakal or RKEP grip (Karakal for their good and very colourful / cool grip, RKEP for being good and cheap)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    setapak
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh I see. Thanks Avenger for these explanations. Well, I played badminton for more than 10 years since I was like 10 years old but I never really care much about grip, so I didn't know there were different grips like overgrip and replacement grip. LOLS. I only know as long as there's a cushion over the wood handle and it does not slip from my hand then ok already HAHA! XD

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,457
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SparringKiat View Post
    Oh I see. Thanks Avenger for these explanations. Well, I played badminton for more than 10 years since I was like 10 years old but I never really care much about grip, so I didn't know there were different grips like overgrip and replacement grip. LOLS. I only know as long as there's a cushion over the wood handle and it does not slip from my hand then ok already HAHA! XD
    well, essentially it is what the grip does, isn't it? haha
    usually overgrip is used to change the grip size and for people with sweaty hand (so they can change it often and they don't need to break their bank to buy the more expensive replacement grip)

    cushion also differ from one brand to another. never tried Yonex replacement grip, but Karakal one is pretty superb. RKEP also the same, and comes in different thickness (also they are either cheaper or about the same with Karakal).

    overgrip offers almost no cushion, so it is better to use it on top of replacement grip. but some people like very thin grip so they put overgrip on top of the wood (I don't like it)
    Last edited by Avenger; 12-27-2013 at 10:11 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    guys,

    Is the Yonex AC143 a replacement grip or overgrip? Thanks.

    http://yonex.com/sports/badminton/pr...-grip-3-wraps/

  15. #15
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    replacement grip: designed to replace completely the original grip. ie. take out the original grip down to the wood. and then wrap the new grip on.

    overgrip: designed to wrap over the original grip.

    number of grip tapes: that's just hand size and personal preference. some ppl have bigger hands, some don't. some ppl prefer holding a potato, some prefer cucumber.

    potato and cucumber, LOL!!!

    super grap: supposed to be a overgrip. see above.

    lastly. please don't cross/double post in different forum. sooner or later someone will reply your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    they don't produce overgrip like this. Yonex overgrip usually comes in set of 3 (not sold one by one like in the picture)

    example of genuine Yonex overgrip (super grap)



    this one is Yonex Wet super grip (as far as I know only being sold in Japan so better to avoid it other than buying from trusted seller such as mybadmintonstore):



    *DO NOT TRUST: badminton365, dhgate, alibaba, they sold fake badminton products (racket, grip, etc, all FAKE)
    **try RKEP for cheaper and better alternatives they don't have fake since it comes directly from the seller (This forum's member, look for SquashEric)
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...22#post2167222

    only replacement grip that is sold one grip per bag.
    example:



    **for replacement grip, I prefer Karakal or RKEP grip (Karakal for their good and very colourful / cool grip, RKEP for being good and cheap)
    nice pictures!!!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,457
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DStyle View Post
    guys,

    Is the Yonex AC143 a replacement grip or overgrip? Thanks.

    http://yonex.com/sports/badminton/pr...-grip-3-wraps/
    when Yonex sell it in set of 3, usually it is an overgrip.
    and you can see the thickness, only 0.7mm. whereas the replacement grip is around 1.2-2mm thickness (quite thick).

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    when Yonex sell it in set of 3, usually it is an overgrip.
    and you can see the thickness, only 0.7mm. whereas the replacement grip is around 1.2-2mm thickness (quite thick)
    .

    Cool. Thanks Avenger. Cheers!
    Last edited by DStyle; 01-12-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •