Need help about different types of grip tapes!

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Dookien, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dookien

Dookien Regular Member

Some questions of grip types.

Hi. I'm quite new at badminton and i wonder what the difference is between replacement grip and overgrip. I also wonder why many people have 2 or 3 layers of grip instead of 1 grip straight on the wood.

Last question: Can you use yonex AC102 EX Super Grap directly on the wood or should you have a grip under the AC102 EX?
    :confused:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    replacement grip: designed to replace completely the original grip. ie. take out the original grip down to the wood. and then wrap the new grip on.

overgrip: designed to wrap over the original grip.

number of grip tapes: that's just hand size and personal preference. some ppl have bigger hands, some don't. some ppl prefer holding a potato, some prefer cucumber.

super grap: supposed to be a overgrip. see above.

lastly. please don't cross/double post in different forum. sooner or later someone will reply your questions. :)

3. Dookien

Dookien Regular Member

Hi. I'm quite new at badminton and i wonder what the difference is between replacement grip and overgrip. I also wonder why many people have 2 or 3 layers of grip instead of 1 grip straight on the wood.

Last question: Can you use yonex AC102 EX Super Grap directly on the wood or should you have a grip under the AC102 EX?
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

4. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    I think Kwun just about explained it. I would like to add that although Yonex AC102 is designed as an overgrip, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from using it straight on top of the handle. Just be prepared to feel any mishit shots a lot more.

5. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I heard you can get some nitto tape or something from MBS, wrap it over the wood then over grip it with super grap I haven't done it before though.

6. sportsbmt

sportsbmt New Member

if the 'replacement grip' you are talking about is the normal type of grip, i might be able to help.

Replacement grip is the normal grip that you can use to tape over the exposed wood part of the racket handle.

On the other hand, over grip is significantly thinner and used to tape over a section of either an old replacement grip or new base grip. it is definitely cheaper too.

For example, if you buy a new racket, there is this base grip. you can either use a over grip on top on it OR remove the base grip and tape a new replacement grip.

So its your choice!

7. Dookien

Dookien Regular Member

reason for 2 posts is that my pc lagged up. sry for that

8. SparringKiat

SparringKiat Regular Member

9. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    it is overgrip. and it is a fake yonex overgrip (usually you can find it in cheap store here in China, or comes with fake racket. beware when buying a Yonex racket and receive this kind of bonus).

10. SparringKiat

Fake meaning by Yonex does not produce overgrip like this? Or the one in the picture is a clone product of Yonex? And so this is not a good grip?

11. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    they don't produce overgrip like this. Yonex overgrip usually comes in set of 3 (not sold one by one like in the picture)

example of genuine Yonex overgrip (super grap)

[​IMG]

this one is Yonex Wet super grip (as far as I know only being sold in Japan so better to avoid it other than buying from trusted seller such as mybadmintonstore):
    [​IMG]

*DO NOT TRUST: badminton365, dhgate, alibaba, they sold fake badminton products (racket, grip, etc, all FAKE)
    **try RKEP for cheaper and better alternatives they don't have fake since it comes directly from the seller (This forum's member, look for SquashEric)
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/81662-RKEP-Grip?p=2167222#post2167222

only replacement grip that is sold one grip per bag.
    example:
    [​IMG]

**for replacement grip, I prefer Karakal or RKEP grip (Karakal for their good and very colourful / cool grip, RKEP for being good and cheap)

Attached Files:

12. SparringKiat

Oh I see. Thanks Avenger for these explanations. Well, I played badminton for more than 10 years since I was like 10 years old but I never really care much about grip, so I didn't know there were different grips like overgrip and replacement grip. LOLS. I only know as long as there's a cushion over the wood handle and it does not slip from my hand then ok already HAHA! XD

13. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    well, essentially it is what the grip does, isn't it? haha
    usually overgrip is used to change the grip size and for people with sweaty hand (so they can change it often and they don't need to break their bank to buy the more expensive replacement grip)

cushion also differ from one brand to another. never tried Yonex replacement grip, but Karakal one is pretty superb. RKEP also the same, and comes in different thickness (also they are either cheaper or about the same with Karakal).

overgrip offers almost no cushion, so it is better to use it on top of replacement grip. but some people like very thin grip so they put overgrip on top of the wood (I don't like it)

#13 Avenger, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  14. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
  15. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    nice pictures!!!

16. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student