Best method to place the side supports on your machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ucantseeme, Dec 14, 2013.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Hey guys,

I own a PS 3600 and try to play around abit and mod. I have seen some expensive machines and which tells you where to place throat and head. I noticed that somes machine also have a bit shorter arms to fix the racket at the 4 and 8 o'clock section. One BC member placed his supports depending on head and throat positioning. Some machines don't care. What do you thing is the better placement of the side supports? Does it make any difference how the racket shape came out? What is the right placement or wrong one? What ratio has advantages and which one disadvantages? Maybe someone can explain the idea behind this. Where did you place them and what do you think which positioning supports best and make stringing a racket stringing more stressless? Especially at tension over 30 lbs?

Some pictures what I mean:

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      72.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Top down (my way):
    bottom supports - above, but as close as possible to, the last main hole (with enough room for awl use)
    top supports - above, but as close as possible to, the racket's horizontal midline.

Bottom up (my way):
    bottom supports - below, but as close as possible to, the racket's horizontal midline
    top supports - below, but as close as possible to, the last main hole (with enough room for awl use)

The general principle being that stress is dumped to the corners opposite where the crosses are started.

SnowWhite likes this.
  3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Also, there seems to be no difference between the ends designated HEAD and THROAT on any machine I've used so-labelled.

4. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Thanks Mark for your reply. :)

I only use bottom up method and place my side supports nearly at the same positions as you do. Maybe here are some freaks here who can speak more scientific about calculations or angles like visor. ;)

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I don't think we need fancy vectors for this one:

As the mains go in, the stress "arrows" point to 3 and 9 o'clock. As the crosses are dialled in, the arrows

a) get longer, and
    b) begin to point away from the added crosses

I wish I could animate this, because it's very clear in my head:).

6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Sounds absolute clear. I don't need an animation. ;) I was just thinking about some different contact points which vary a few degrees seen in this forum and was asking myself if there is any explaination. Yes it's simple that the side supports prevent the frame of going wide when you do the mains.

#6 ucantseeme, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Here's mine:

SUC50210.jpg

Last main holes and horizontal centreline are shown - supports should always be between the circles and the green line.

#7 Mark A, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Hmm... I might rescind this, actually.

For very high-tension top-down situations, it might be safer to move the lower supports past the last shared hole as long as the top supports are close to the midline.

My machine's 12/6 supports won't move far enough to allow it, but going down B10 on the Yonex pattern is roughly where I'm thinking - where the tangent is at 45 degrees:

SUC50209.jpg

(ignore my feet). In short, the reverse of this:

270878_10150298520171948_591276947_9058939_4276809_n.jpg