Any stores selling leather grips?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by catman, Dec 14, 2013.

1. catman

catman Regular Member

Hello,
    Are there any stores (online) that is selling leather grips for Badminton racquets?
    Thanks in advance

2. catman

catman Regular Member

3. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

I have no idea why they advertise as leather, but the material is polyurethane. Maybe thin leather top cushioned with another material?

4. catman

catman Regular Member

It might be that fake leather stuff. Thanks - I'll try ebay see if I get lucky.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

6. catman

catman Regular Member

Thanks craigandy - I found some on Amazon - tennis grips. Ebay also has some. The bikeshops seems quite expensive compared with the Tennis versions.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Cool. Yeah very expensive for bikes.
    What's the story with why you wanting leather grips then?

8. catman

catman Regular Member

Found my dad's old Carlton racquet metal kind - was planning on throwing it out. Just for the fun picked it up and started swinging it and the grip felt nice. Good feel to it. Also, have tennis racquets that have leather grips (usually use over grip to protect the leather) but it just feels nice as compared to the new materials. It feels right to wrap cowhide around carbon nano-tubes!

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Interesting. Just couple more questions:) Are you going to over grip the leather on your badminton racket?
    Since leather is a lot heavier is it not going to significantly change the balance point and overall weight?
    Is leather really slippy with sweaty hands or no?

10. catman

catman Regular Member

I haven't really thought it through that far. I am only a recreational player, mostly playing doubles. Hasn't gotten to a point where I'm sweating that much.

In terms of balance, I prefer head light racquets. So if the leather is heavy it should be ok.

I tried towel grips - not a big fan. Also, in Canada weather generally cold.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Carbonex 21 used to come with leather grip. The feel is very nice, my favorite actually, but definitely slippery when wet. Maybe the grip powder would solve that ...
    But Yonex in Japan still sells the brown leather grip as a replacement grip. (Other) tennis brands also offer them I have seen in the past (Wilson, Gamma, Babolat, Head, Prince; nice overview of them here http://item.rakuten.co.jp/eddy/c/0000000523/)

AC221.jpg

ac-015.jpg

On a tennis racket:

02ef5b6fb68a8b4ef06096f13434a4f41c9d994d.93.1.8.2.jpg

#12 demolidor, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  12. catman

catman Regular Member

Nice - thanks.

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Thanks for the info, never tried it but it looks great and I imagine the feel must be second to none. No point in me trying though as my hands are like lochs.

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D; seem reasonably popular with tennis players (although some still seem to use an overgrip on them from browsing around that forum). Perhaps the much larger gripsize makes for a better combination [​IMG]
    Was looking to buy some a few years ago and just might get those Yonex ones now for the sake of it (thanks to this topic). They do seem to be a bit heavier from the topics below so might throw one on an AT700 [​IMG]. The euro:yen rate certainly won't stop me this time around [​IMG].

Came across this topic and this post in particular summarizing (most of) the various tennis brand leather grips: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=7794658&postcount=24

The Yonex one is 1.40mm for comparison. The 1.20mm HEAD looked quite appealing but apparently it is out of production (and very much sought after).

edit: on the same forum another thread with some more leather grip models and their weights so that should be more than enough info to search stores that sell these with: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=7476736&postcount=2

#15 demolidor, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  15. catman

catman Regular Member

Also check amazon.com - they have the tennis grips for sale. Price appears to be cheaper than the Japanese site. Also tennis-warehouse.com has their own brand for sale - again these are tennis grips, so I would think it would be longer the required for badminton racquets.

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes the only one you need to buy from Japan is the Yonex one. And perhaps other japanese brands like Kimoni or Gosen.
    Just noticed the Yonex one is only 1000mm rather than a more standard 1200mm; thought I would be able to get two from one but perhaps not with this length. Tennis warehouse ones seemed to be pretty decent and also available at the european department. Plus they are 1300mm and only €8 but also slightly narrower at 22 or 25mm width vs 27mm for Yonex (but I doubt that extra width would make up the length difference)
    To note, most grips can be used for any type of racket. They are not specifically badminton length or tennis length so you just end up with a lot more waste when wrapping a replacement grip on a badminton racket as compared to a tennis racket.
    Only a few are specific for badminton (from Yonex): the ones that are stock on a badminton racket like the ArcSaber or NanoSpeed grip and come in 780mm length replacements. Which is more than half of 1300mm :D; been looking for stock grip that I took off so I can measure it to see how much was needed :eek:.

#17 demolidor, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013