Shuttle hitting the net on a serve

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by catman, Dec 14, 2013.

1. catman

catman Regular Member

If the shuttle hits the net on serve and lands in the receivers court - it is a valid serve correct?

A club member is convinced if the shuttle hits the net on a serve it is a fault.

Thanks in advance

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no. the rally continues.

ask him to stop watching tennis!

3. catman

catman Regular Member

Thanks Kwun,
    Not even Tennis - he takes the point - he doesn't even give a "Let"!

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about. ;)

5. Heong

Heong Regular Member

if hits the net and goes over then continue the rally. and if drops before the service line then OUT.

ideally you'd want to avoid hitting the net on the serve as much as possible lol

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

1. is true.
    2. is not

7. catman

catman Regular Member

Hitting the net and making a good serve is tough thing to do - I would think.

8. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    If you can produce a tight service with the shuttle hitting the net; excellent. Especially in doubles/mixed, as the flight of the shuttle slightly gets defected, thus making it more difficult for the opponents to return (= driving it back). As others are mentioning it, it's pretty legal.

9. catman

catman Regular Member

Wouldn't hitting the net pop the shuttle up - setting up for a quick kill

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Try it yourself....:)

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    for someone who doesn't know much, i don't see how one can be so sure of something so wrong, unless he's doing what kwun said, watching a lot of tennis, and then makes assumptions about the rules in badminton. still shouldn't they just say "i'm not sure" and find out instead of being so sure of something so wrong without anything to back it up?

that was to the club member who is convinced that serve hitting the net is a fault, not to catman :)

#11 gundamzaku, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  12. catman

catman Regular Member

Thanks for your response. It's a very social/recreational club. People have developed their own rules, not sure how they came across it. Also, the person in question is a senior citizen - so I guess not many people questioned him on it.
    Since, it's a social type situation - there aren't too many arguments - we just let things go.
    But I just wanted to make sure I did know the proper rule.

13. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Maybe a silly question but I started playing after the new rules were being used (2007?) maybe? Anyway before the new rules wasn't it a let or fault if it hit on service?

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it has never been a let when the shuttle touches the net on service. ever.

stop thinking about tennis!

15. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I'm just going by tales of yore from before I played. They did change a of rules back then didn't they?

16. nijasmd

nijasmd New Member

Web Developer
    hehe.. thats it :

17. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

i've encountered some older generation asian 'uncles' who're adamant and look pissed as if we're trying to discredit them and ruin their 'image' and that we're the ones with made-up rules ahem. Some are really good, both with their graze-the-net serves and incredible explanations if something goes wrong lol. most of the time though, i'm convinced they know the rules and are doing it just for the sake of entertainment so we let them 're-serve' quite often ;)

ps: there're some older women who take it to heart and look at us so seriously their eyes would burn a hole right through when we say their rules are wrong. i've learnt my lesson and prefer not to umpire or officiate games with (older) females at local event lol :p

#17 drmchsraj, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    just because they've been playing a certain wrong way doesn't make it right. and what you've described is just a bit of what stress falls onto the shoulders of umpires, get use to it if you want to continue umpiring :)

19. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

these're otherwise kind 'uncles', 'aunties' and elderly neighbors who send me a sample of their deicious cookies, cake and pie!! i can't just risk earning their wrath and losing out on free food! :(

i'm not a certified umpire or anything but some of the more experienced ones are designated to carry out the task at local low-key ahemnot-really-competitiveahem events. however, i was once 'made' the umpire due to lack of officiating personnel because of delays in schedule, lighting malfunction at our local venue, which caused the games to be carried out till 4am. i was part of the organizing committee and expressed my concern, and they convinced me saying they're better judges than me (they've played internationally in their categories) and i'd just be occupying the chair just to announce the score, fill in the scoresheets, provide birdies and time the stopwatch for breaks etc. it was an MD event, those 4 and all their supporters play with us on a daily basis and give us tips, so i assured myself 'what can go wrong, one team was superstrong and the other was weak, it's 4am, they just wanna go home asap' etc...
    so, game 2, strong team's 11-9, court change, weak team scores 5pts straight to make it 14-11 in their favor... their fans start cheering, the opponents start commenting and making fun of each other etc.. and it got pretty serious.. suddenly they turn to me 'look, his serve is a fault as he held it too high before striking', 'did u see how he just pushed and not served..this isn't tabletennis' 'he's dragging a foot while serving'...and in the disarray, a shot landed too close to the line and i thought it was out and the player nearest to it went to retrieve it and said it was an out.. so i announced the score and scored it as an out on the sheet..a couple seconds later his teammate has a word with him and they both start saying/appealing 'its clearly in, the ambiguous angle made you think it was an out; and before i could say anything the other team comes charging to them with their own reasons. all 4 look to me, and approach me and were giving thier side of the argument, looking to me for approval, but quarreling amongst themselves really. they had their hands on my chair and i felt trapped, and i was like zomgwhatdidigetmyselfintoijustwannajumpoffandrunaway :-@.
    it continued for a few moments, and i was sure i was going to get beat up :p, but then the weak team was like 'dang we thought we could fool you' and the strong team was like 'you dogs.. this isn't our usual 100$ or loser-buys-liquour bet matches... we knew you were kidding and that's why we didn't want to back down'
    (ps: im sure they'd have beaten me up without hesitation had it been a bet match lol :p )

one of the players later explained to me that he was trying to secretly signal to me that it's okay and that they were doing it just for kicks. i was already so hot and flustered i couldn't sense it meh. :-/ :(
    for a moment though, it felt like a love triangle, two girls hating each other and each desperately wanting me on their side lol. but i've taken the lesson well and never pulled off such a stunt that was above my head, not without preparation and proper briefing. don't do it, guys! do it only if you're a professional and it's on a closed circui..er i mean court. lol

#19 drmchsraj, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  20. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Lol... Good one! :D