Can't Seem to Generate any Power Consistently with Voltric Z-Force

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Justheretoplay, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    I bought a Voltric Z-Force a while back and I'm coming from using a Voltric 70 and Arcsaber Z-Slash. Smashes produced with the 70 and Z-Slash are decent while the smashes I produce on the Z-Force feel extremely lacking in power. How could I fix this problem? I got a couple of good smashes off consecutively but then the shots after for the next rally are back the usual weak shots.

What I'm wondering is how I could fix this? The potential for the racket is there, I've seen it, but how come the power comes randomly as opposed to the power on the VT 70 and Z-Slash? Is it a timing issue? Technique? It'd be great help if someone could give me an explanation to this :) Thanks!

2. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

How long are you playing?
    VTZF is a very demanding racket and is not suited for most players.

I also had lack of power the first time i played with a ZF. It seems that to generate a consistent good amount of power with this , one needs a good technique and positioning .

To position is to know where to strike , hit , contact , the shuttle and where to put your racket before , during , and after a shot.

Keep playing with it for a few sessions to get used to it , might help.

Goodluck :)

3. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

the shaft is too stiff, so it will be challenging to accelerate the head fast enough to induce any degree of flexing of the shaft. with its head heaviness that makes it even more challenging.

4. Justheretoplay

Student
    Well the weird part is that I can generate some decent power with it once in a while without doing anything really different. Would string tension have any affect?

5. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Yes string tension has affect. Higher tensions do not give you more power.

Higher tension : more control less power

Lower tension : less control more power

Also the hitting the sweet spot constantly helps. Tighter the tension the smaller the sweet spot.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

[MENTION=108967]Exert[/MENTION] No, higher tension does not have to mean less power.

Justtheretoplay - why do you even mention string tension? Is it different to your other rackets? Unless you have very different tension for vt-zf compared to you previous rackets then you need not be concerned about string tension!

7. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Could it just be that you are not proficient enough to use the racket? The decent power probably just comes from chance. Use a less stiff racket.

8. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    For me it does. With less tension allows the shuttle to let the string bed pull back and then releases. It's basically like shaft flex. With higher tension it's the opposite.

9. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Wait doesn't that mean higher tensions would be like a stiffer shaft? A stiffer shaft can hit harder if used by a skilled player.

10. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Higher tension would seem to make ur racket feel stiffer as the trampoline effect where the shuttle lift off frm ur racket is kinda muted n hardened.

11. vajrasattva

thats because you were in a better position to take the shot (footwork) and perhaps had better "swing" plus "wrist snap"

a flexible racquet benefits from big swings, like a martial art pole
    a stiff racquet benefits from a critical strong fast wrist snap

the zforce has a smaller frame so stringing at your regular tensions may result in the string bed feeling tighter than usual.

12. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    VT-ZF is a very demanding racket. Nd to spend time to adapt to it n the learning curve will b steep.

Coming frm a VT70 n Arc-ZS user, there is a big gap to fill in order to wield ZF effectively. The specs of the rackets r very different. For instance, VT70 shaft is medium stiff while ZF is extra stiff. If u have been a VT-80 (stiff stiff) user all along, ur transition to ZF will b smoother, imo.

All in all, more strength training n gd techniques r required.

13. Justheretoplay

Student
    It's the same as my other rackets but I'm thinking I should lower it to 24 from 26 if that might help.

14. Justheretoplay

Student
    And a side note, it's 4U as well while my Z-Slash and VT70 are 3U if that also plays a part in anything..

15. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, you should adjust your timing & technique.

Higher string tension will result in higher power provided you have what it takes to fully utilized it.

VTZF 4U is not as demanding as its brother, 3U. You just need to spend some time, and be patient.
    Additionally, you could ask your friend for having stroke with you and at that time you could use it for smashing, finding the correct moment, be relax and you will be able to do it.

16. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Hey , did anyone else saw Carsten M. bend the Z force during the London Olympics (Denmark v Korea) ?

17. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I think you need to give yourself some time to get used to the racket, I've felt the same similarly
    but I've changed from a 4U VTZF to a 3U version and I can't seem to generate the same power from the 3U. I think we both need to get used to the timing of the racket.

18. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    You are epxecting a huge amount from your physique with the changes in racket.

What you are probably experiencing when you use your old rackets are an ease in which you can perform the shot because they are not as head heavy as Z Force. Z Slash is certainly lighter in the head.

To counter this may I suggest you undertake some of the armchair exercises on my website (see video section). These will help you build up additional strength and please make sure you use Z Force to do the exercises.

You will probably find a big difference when you have given the exercises a go over a few days.

Good luck

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

19. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Dear Paul,

Have you tested Yonex Voltric i-Force yet? I believe it available on 5U weight only, which i wonder if i should be getting i-Force 5U or VT70 3U? My string tension is 28lbs, and more attacking-style player. VT80 3U is somehow a bit exhausting for my wrist (but with very nice power-smash) and looking to find some replacement for it. Or perhaps ARC-Z-Slash 3U?? I wish i could try them all out before decide which to purchase, which i don't think the seller would be happy to let me do so. Please advise. Thanks.

20. vajrasattva

its not that difficult to bend it if you have the right technique. there are players in my badminton group that do it pretty well, i was able to catch it on camera