User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Forgot to mention if you want to understand the level of Badminton in the USA - go to youtube and do a search for livestrong badminton.

After watching those videos, I was thinking - maybe I should try out for the US Olympic team!
    that's what the clueless people think badminton is like. but on the competitive side, the level is actually quite good nowadays. the hotbed for badminton is mostly in the west coast. i have watched some of the juniors play and they are really extremely impressive. if their parent decides to let them go all the way to professional level, i think USA will be better in international circuits in 10-15 years' time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

catman, you have demonstrated your knowledge of US badminton is one level higher than RG3! Congrats!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khoai View Post
    catman, you have demonstrated your knowledge of US badminton is one level higher than RG3! Congrats!
    No offense, I am certain there are a lot excellent players in the US. I would think mostly from other parts of the world. But Badminton is still an unknown sport for most of the people in USA.
    Last edited by catman; 12-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No offense, I am certain there are a lot excellent players in the US. I would think mostly from other parts of the world. But Badminton is still an unknown sport for most of the people in USA.
    that is very true. and unfortunately so.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With regards to the opening post - I was thinking what it would take a US athlete to make it to the US Olympic Badminton team - not about winning a medal.
    Ah, I miss understood, there are some people that make it to the Olympics and I would not call them "Olympic level" as they are not on the level of the top 8/10/16/20 whatever. But can he just make it to the Olympics in badminton, i think there is a slight chance that this actually could be possible two ways:

1. As others said if he had a relative from a continent that is soft to qualify in, then trains full time under some top coaches for the next 8 years solid.

2. He could possibly make it qualifying for America if he paid lots of money to the CBA to go and train/learn full time there for the next 8 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Ah, I miss understood, there are some people that make it to the Olympics and I would not call them "Olympic level" as they are not on the level of the top 8/10/16/20 whatever. But can he just make it to the Olympics in badminton, i think there is a slight chance that this actually could be possible two ways:

1. As others said if he had a relative from a continent that is soft to qualify in, then trains full time under some top coaches for the next 8 years solid.

2. He could possibly make it qualifying for America if he paid lots of money to the CBA to go and train/learn full time there for the next 8 years.
    For #1, he could probably qualify for Africa...I don't know what the badminton scene is there, I hope that's not a really generalizing remark, but I think badminton is even less popular in Africa than the US...Though I doubt he would discard his US citizenship just to play badminton to maybe make the Olympics.

For #2, RG3 could buy his way into becoming the US's #1 player (if he just enters a lot of US tournaments and does relatively okay in them), but that won't guarantee him an Olympic spot! Qualifying for the Olympics relies on either your international ranking, or your continent's lack of players.
    (Just found out he has the option of being "invited" by the Tripartite Commission as well, but I don't think that should count, because it's not "Oh you're good enough for the Olympics", it's "We want to include everyone! Even though you aren't at our level!")

IIRC, you'd have to be ranked 64 and above to be considered for the Olympics, and there's only 29 spots available. Even if he somehow squeaked into #64 (....though that's still awfully high), would he be allowed to compete just because he wants to be in the Olympics? I doubt it.

Even if the US has NO players sent to the Olympics, that doesn't guarantee RG3 a ticket to the Olympics if he's US #1, because there's still Canada and Mexico and the rest of NA to consider. Canada's badminton is much stronger than the US (or so I've heard), and when push comes to shove, the Canadian may take the continental ticket (or have already qualified on their own)

source

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to mention if you want to understand the level of Badminton in the USA - go to youtube and do a search for livestrong badminton.

After watching those videos, I was thinking - maybe I should try out for the US Olympic team!
    Ah yes, this guy again. RG3 will be pouring over all his videos to get himself up to Olympic standard

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SmashAndDash View Post
    For #1, he could probably qualify for Africa...I don't know what the badminton scene is there, I hope that's not a really generalizing remark, but I think badminton is even less popular in Africa than the US...Though I doubt he would discard his US citizenship just to play badminton to maybe make the Olympics.

For #2, RG3 could buy his way into becoming the US's #1 player (if he just enters a lot of US tournaments and does relatively okay in them), but that won't guarantee him an Olympic spot! Qualifying for the Olympics relies on either your international ranking, or your continent's lack of players.
    (Just found out he has the option of being "invited" by the Tripartite Commission as well, but I don't think that should count, because it's not "Oh you're good enough for the Olympics", it's "We want to include everyone! Even though you aren't at our level!")

IIRC, you'd have to be ranked 64 and above to be considered for the Olympics, and there's only 29 spots available. Even if he somehow squeaked into #64 (....though that's still awfully high), would he be allowed to compete just because he wants to be in the Olympics? I doubt it.

Even if the US has NO players sent to the Olympics, that doesn't guarantee RG3 a ticket to the Olympics if he's US #1, because there's still Canada and Mexico and the rest of NA to consider. Canada's badminton is much stronger than the US (or so I've heard), and when push comes to shove, the Canadian may take the continental ticket (or have already qualified on their own)

source
    In MS for London 2012, Oceania would have been easiest to qualify in MS as no one took the spot.
    The "region continent" that USA is under is "pan am", so it is not Canada only to worry about you have south american players like Kevin cordon who were/are miles ahead in talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carltan101 View Post
    . He's probably gonna be good in running since he's black, just like Usain Bolt lol
    We need a dislike button.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    In MS for London 2012, Oceania would have been easiest to qualify in MS as no one took the spot.
    The "region continent" that USA is under is "pan am", so it is not Canada only to worry about you have south american players like Kevin cordon who were/are miles ahead in talent.
    Pan Am - is the region! - That's tough. According to the Pan-Am site, there are 10 players in the top 200 in the World and 3 US players in the Top 100. That would be tough for new player to reach that level in 4-6 years of training.

I would say best way for RG3 is to buy a ticket or maybe try the bobsled team in the winter olympics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If American football was an Olympic sport, he still couldn't represent the USA in the Olympics, because there are plenty of QBs way better than him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RGIII the one year wonder needs to win more matches for 'skins' and/or focused on keeping his job with the 'skins' instead of belittling ping-pong and badminton. His knees would buckled on the first drop shot from any female players. This boy is soft and loves cheap publicity.

Now, I could only think of several NFL boys who could play badminton ..... nah.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, he's got all kinds of problems with his team to worry about the Olympics. It would have been interesting to see a top class athlete trying to learn a new sport.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3