sponsorship?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by neil, Apr 19, 2001.

1. neil

neil Guest

I am just wondering if anyone knows any contacts or if anyone has any ideas on how i get some kind of sponsorship in the UK? i am currently playing at junior national level and next year i am looking to try and break into the national senior team. I am 18 and live in Scotland. Any replys will be much appriciated

2. Steplantis

Steplantis Regular Member

Broadcast Engineer
    Nice to see another Scot on BC - there`s not too many of us I guess.
    As for sponsorship, what is it you`re thinking about - racquets, shuttles etc or court time and travel expenses for tournaments. I think the former would be easy enough to sort out ( you wouldn`t get stuff for free but at some discount ), but the latter would be harder to get - you might find there are local district or council grants for up and coming youngsters to help them out with getting facilities etc.
    Where in Scotland are you and what are you plans vis-a-vis badminton in the future?

Stephen

3. neil

neil Guest

hi stephen i am from the Borders in the south of Scotland, where u from? do you play badminton yourself ? Because of where i live it costs so much for me to travel to tournaments and to training, i ws just seing if anyone knew anywhere or anyone who can help. I have already tried the local sports council and had some money but this comes to no where near the to the money it is costing me. Thanks anyway for the reply look forward to hearing from you soon.

4. May

May Guest

u posted this in the worldbadminton forum too, ryt?????

5. neil

neil Guest

nope why?

6. May

May Guest

there was another person who did. Guess I got mixed up.

7. Steplantis

Steplantis Regular Member

Broadcast Engineer
    Hi there Neil,

Although I`m Scottish I`m living in Japan at the moment, and have been for the last 3 years since graduating from Edinburgh Uni. I`m still playing badminton here which is cool, as it`s a slightly different style to back in Scotland ( more Chinese and Korean influences I guess ). When I was in Scotland I started to train more seriously after entering Uni and was part of Craig Robertson`s( National doubles champ) training squad along with Gavin Brockie, Mark Mackay, Graeme Simpson etc. I guess most of the people I trained with are in their mid to late 20`s now so a little older than your age group. I got up to No.15 in the national singles ranking and about top 10 in the doubles but wish I had started training seriously a little earlier. Had great fun though and I`m still training over here and playing tournaments a lot - next one up is a district singles tournament to try and get into the National Championships. The level here in my district at the top is probably equivalent to the top national players in Scotland, and some of the players have played professionaly or trained in Malaysia ( we should have Jalani Sidek and some youth players coming to my city this year so should have a chance to play with them).
    Good luck with finding some more money to help with travel and training - I know how difficult it is when you want to get better but the training squads and national squads are so select and difficult to get into and hence the money is difficult to get access to. Keep trying!!

Cheers,
    Stephen