When to change shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Wingu, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    So I've been using a pair of ASICS Birdrushing since later august and I play 4 times a week, 3-4 hours. Now, I've started to have an aching right heel. This isn't the first time as I've had this problem before as well with 'old' shoes. When I walk around in the shoes, I can clearly feel the difference of cushioning between the left shoe and the right shoe. The heel cushioning on the right foot feels thin and hard when I walk with it, let alone playing in them. After a session, my heel always ache for the rest of the day.
    I've got quite a heavy body for a badminton player as I also do a lot of weight lifting.

My question is, when do everybody change their shoes? Or do you change the insole first and try that? The shoe itself doesn't look that bad, except for the heel part looking like the end (or tip) of a boat so to speak.

2. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I change shoes when I either lose traction or a hole forms. If the outside of your shoe seems fine, and the insole is the only part worn down, I would try changing that.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    where is the aching right heel? at the bottom? or closer to the back on the achilles tendon?

is the insole still in good condition on the heel? or is it really worn?

for some people (me included), when the heel is too low, it stretches and stresses the heel/achilles tendon and sometime achilles tendonitis will develop. if that's the case, i'd suggest changing the shoes or add an extra heel support to raise the heel higher.

4. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    It aches the most right at the end of the heel, as in when you make a lunge and the first part of the heel that hits the floor. I've tried to scrape the hardened skin as well but it didn't work either.

The thing is if I wear the shoes and then deliberately walk and put some pressure on the heel part, it feels like I'm making direct contact with the floor as if the cushioning as gone completely. I asked a few friends and they said that I should try and change insole first. Looking at the old insole, it has almost no padding left compared to the left one so I changed the insole but the result is as stated above.

Actually, this isn't the first time I've had this problem. This happened to some previous Yonex shoes and Victor shoes as well (this time it was ASICS). I'm not sure but might it be a factor that I'm heavier than other people? Right now, I weigh around 80kg and I'm 176cm. I've got a lot of muscles though rather than fat, but that shouldn't matter since weight in this case is all the same.

5. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Perhaps u should really change a shoe....I weigh 80+kg as well, certain models of shoes I've wear, I also experience heel aching and I gotta add additional insole or wear thicker socks juz to alleviate the pain sligtly...but certain models of shoes I wear, this problem will be gone...so it's the cushioning effect of the shoes rather than insoles actually