Smash defense couple of questions

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Herzfrequenz, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Herzfrequenz

Herzfrequenz Regular Member

1. Who is taking the net when one of the players in side-by-side position has returned smash to the net?

Are there any nuances or widely used agreements? For example I noticed that the net is often taken by the player who is on the right side of the court regardless of who made a shot to the net – he or his partner.

I also noticed that in some pairs in these situations a pause occurs when side-by-side, they wait for opponents actions and start to move only after that. Everyone is holding their side in other words.

As for the variant when less attacking player takes the net and more attacking player goes to rear court, I’m aware of it, so let us discard it and imagine that we have equal players.

2. I noticed that when defending straight smash (I noticed that with straight drives also a couple of times) Koreans Lee/Ko stand with their left foot in front, not right, not both. Why is that?

First I thought this makes taking the net dropshot easier, but then there are not many dropshots at this level. Variant that with this foot positioning it is easier to defend using backhand is unlikely too I think.

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    For number 1, the player who played the block should go forwards (in an equal pairing). Watch Lars Paaske as the best example!

In some pairings, the best net player will go forwards, regardless of who played the block. This is for professionals and regular partnerships - not casual players!

For number 2, the foot positioning of the Koreans is, in my opinion, generally a little strange. The reason for this, is that they are so quick they can do whatever the hell they like. The Indonesians tend to stand a little more square. There is also normally a variation depending on which side you are defending i.e. if the shuttle is on the right, you have left leg forwards, and if the shuttle is on the left, then you have the right foot forwards.

I suggest that casual players use the racket foot slightly in front as the most appropriate way of doing it. Once you are national level in skill, you can do whatever you want!

Good luck!

3. catman

catman Regular Member

What is the reason for the best player in doubles team to play the front?

4. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    He said best "net" player. Hope this makes better sense now.

5. catman

catman Regular Member

Ooops sorry, :eek: - yes that make sense - thought I was missing something!
    Thanks Raymond!

6. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

People ask this a lot.Both of you should be able to react and make the dicision the moment when the bird is coming towards you,a thing called coordination.It's kind of hard to tell here because we were not there..that's why we practice .:D

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

1. generally speaking:
    if the defense is kind of aggressive (that means played with good control and putting pressure on the opponents) the one who defended follows through and covers the net. in this case, the net-block is a kind of counterattack.
    if the defense is weak, that means you're in trouble and the opponent will reach the block easily and might even kill it, you stay sid-by-side, (each taking his side of the net if the opponent does a netshot).

2. the koreans could cross their legs and still defend like hell...;-)

8. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Just expanding on the rationale that people have put forwards.
    For us mere mortals who aren't pro's the person who blocked it is in the best position to go forwards. They know they've played the block into a gap so can immediately step into the net & hopefully dominate the net with racquet up. For their partnet to do that they have to recognise that the block has been played. process if it's in a gap and move in.
    There is going to be a difference in reaction time which mean's they are less likely to get into the ideal net position.

Also goemetrically, if the blocker plays it straight it's a very short distance for the shuttle to go & their partner has to move the long diagonal to get to the ideal net position. If the blocker plays the long cross they also have time to follow it.

It's all about who is able to get into the ideal net position & be effective.

For the Pro's. . we're assuming both can get there in time so then there's a question of who's most effective at the net.

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

hope this helps and i apologize ahead of time if my rotation seems elementary

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i love your answer to #2, and i agree that the koreans can defend like no other!!!

11. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

For Number 2, I too defend against smashes with my left foot in front. Mostly due to the fact that people love to smash to my forehand side knowing very well that I can't handle smashes well. So much so that when I split step or recover to that position whenever I anticipate a smash.

Even if they see that I am ready for their smashes and change to a drop shot instead, such a position allows me to move into position fast to react to the drop shots.

I do, however, reverse it if they smash to my backhand side so that my balance won't be off.

12. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Is it not then a bit obvious to your opponents which smash you are able to receive? Don't they just smash the other side and win easily?

13. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Yes, it's actually obvious, but I am not exactly sure why they don't target my backhand side. Or they figure that since I am not that great at retrieving smashes, they might as well just keep smashing and I will lose the point. It doesn't take more than 3 smashes towards me 99% of the time to end the rally so the effort is not that great.

14. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    In that case, I suggest you amend your technique immediately :)

Crash course:
    - feet slightly more than shoulders width apart
    - feet almost square to the net, with the racket foot 6 inches in front
    - reach your racket as far forward as possible in front of you
    - by reaching forwards, you should feel you have to get lower to reach further, and your heels will come slightly off the floor
    - it should feel like you are looking upwards at the oncoming smash!
    - wait using a backhand grip, but point the racket forwards, ready to move left or right
    - when you see the shuttle coming, let your racket flop to the backhand side if thats where the shuttle is coming, and use your thumb to push the shuttle very softly. If it comes to the forehand, let the racket flop to the forehand side, your grip will change slightly as you relax and let the racket flop (it will head towards a basic/slightly panhandle grip). Again, just gentle push the shuttle over the net.
    - YOU MUST NOT SWING THE RACKET! Simply place the racket where the shuttle is coming and then move the racket forwards slightly.
    - To lift or drive defend, simply squeeze your grip! But learn the block first!

SIMPLE!

Good luck!

15. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Thanks MSeeley for the tips! I do use them, although at the way my opponents target me, it somehow didn't come across to me as an effective or efficient way to defend. I am still trying to work out this issue though, as there are glaring issues with such a position (left/non-racket foot forward).

16. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Applied this technique to today's doubles games. My defense has improved, but they still target my forehand side when smashing. My return wasn't as good as when my non-racket foot is in front, giving them a lot of opportunities to perform a net kill. Looks like I have to continue working on this particular area.

17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Thats because the forehand is easier with the non racket foot forwards. However, now is the time to LEARN to hit a proper forehand defence. If you are giving away easy netkills, then I suggest that you are hitting your defence too hard! You should be looking to play the shuttle softly 1 foot above the net, and you should be aiming for the shuttle to pass over the singles side lines. If you practice this, then nobody will be getting easy net kills from you.

The best thing you can do, is learn to defend very very softly!

Good luck!