User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 100minus View Post
    during super series final last year at kl cheras stadium got to watch the players really close from the side angle the player i really noticed with weak smash was sudket (thai xd) almost looked like hes never hitting the sweetspot but in the game they still manage to beat tontowi-liliyana (i believe was because of malaysian crowd support and also tontowi had been seen eating at the pizza hut kiosk just before the match)
    Huh. Don't really believe the crowd factors in THAT strongly, but eating pizza before the match (especially Pizza Hut) isn't such a great idea
    Sudket seems like he can rarely be bothered to really go all out, but I think he has a decent smash when he tries. His tendency to relax just a bit too much is more of a problem.
    Since we're on the topic of XD - is it just me or is Ahmad's smash really not that penetrating? Seems to me like the best he can achieve from a halfway decent lift is to get Natsir into the rally somehow, I almost never see him ending it....polar opposite from Ko/Kim in that regard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    Setiawan? But he more than makes up for it in placement and accuracy.
    No, I wouldn't say Setiawan's is weak. May seem weak compared to Ahsan. Similar to Cai Yun when partnered with Fu Haifeng, his smash looked weak in comparison but could hold his own.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahsans isnt really much better, Setiawan may not hit as hard as him but has much better placement. I'd say their smashes are pretty comparable, what's working so well for them is Ahsans very fast movement where Hendra can't hold a candle to him^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good points.

Has anyone ever seen speeds for LYD's smash?

By no means weak, below average? Perhaps.

Shame we wont get to see it again for a while :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KKK smash is pretty weak too i guess

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by *___* View Post
    Good points.

Has anyone ever seen speeds for LYD's smash?

By no means weak, below average? Perhaps.

Shame we wont get to see it again for a while :/
    Pretty strong - when he smashes hard, he easily gets over 250 in a decent hall. 2011 WChamps had a couple speed measurements, I think one of those was around 275km/h...sadly, it seems to have gone out of use, I'd rather like having more speed info! Similar to Tennis, where every serve is tracked, commentators don't have to mention every single one then, only if it's exceptional in some regard (i.e. very hard, looked harder than it was, "My mum smashes harder than that!",......)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOOOOSH! Didn't know LYD had that in him, in recent times they've tried to set him up with bigger smashers, Ko/ YYS.

---

Yeah, would be good if they showed smash speeds from the rear tramlines and from there only. Then over time we'd be able to build a good record of players and smashes, true average speed etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hence LYD is banned

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by *___* View Post
    No, I wouldn't say Setiawan's is weak. May seem weak compared to Ahsan. Similar to Cai Yun when partnered with Fu Haifeng, his smash looked weak in comparison but could hold his own.
    Well the subject is relative, and in my opinion Setiawan's smash relative to the current top MD players is weak. Ahsan's smash is actually not bad, certainly more powerful than Setiawan's - not necessarily more effective, but on the subject of power, Ahsan's smash is not bad.

Setiawan's smash is not weak as such, not weaker than you or I, but just weak amongst the current best in the world.

I always take the speed gun's measurements with a pinch of salt. They seem consistent at each tournament, but I don't think you can compare the speed in one tournament with another as there are so many factors involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Chong Wei Feng has quite weak smashes...Could've just been the stuff I've seen though. Shon Wan Ho USED TO have a weak smash, look at the AE 2010 match with LCW. I'm sure there are some WS that are better of not smashing at all as well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I always take the speed gun's measurements with a pinch of salt. They seem consistent at each tournament, but I don't think you can compare the speed in one tournament with another as there are so many factors involved.
    That's true. Although there is the shuttlecock speed test, certain halls are definitely faster than others.

I think it's pointless when they show the speed of a smash from midcourt. In tennis the service speed is measured over the net, so I assume it's the same for badminton, but am not sure. That's why they should only display (or record) smash speeds from the rear tramline as then we'd have a guide to go from.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They track the shuttle with radar guns, which display the fastest moving object they detected, which is the shuttle on the first meter or so after it leaves the racket.

Also one of the reasons they dont have it at every tournament as you need both the equipment and someone who tracks the shuttle all the time^^

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised no one has mentioned Zhang Nan who probably has the worst ever power smash in professional badminton.... it's all placement.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree he doesn't have the best but saying he has the worst is bordering on the delusional - he hits WAY harder than a lot of players.
    Adcock, Ellis, Koo, Hoon TH, Ahmad, Prapakamol ALL have slower smashes. ZN rarely DOES smash with full power, he has a weird technique and takes kinda long to setup, so I can agree fully he isn't a particularly good smasher, but his smash in and of itself is not that bad. If he had truly one of the worst smashes he wouldn't be WR1 and Ol. champion, while you can enjoy some success in XD without a really good smash, you won't win the big ones.
    Adcock would probably be more successful if he didn't think his smash was greater than it is, as he sometimes goes for all-out power smashes, hoping to end the rally and ending up WAY out of position, and it f***ed when his opponents return it (I guess if you train with Xu Chen on a daily basis it's really rather cute than dangerous ).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously guys, anyone calling Nan Zhangs or Setiawans smashes weak, must be blind.
    Maybe they don't produce the highest speed, but I would def rate their smashes amongst the BEST, because they are so hard to read, are so precise and so deadly.

I prefer playing against a consistent hard hitter I can read to playing against someone who mixes it up, has good placement and smashes clever.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    Seriously guys, anyone calling Nan Zhangs or Setiawans smashes weak, must be blind.
    Maybe they don't produce the highest speed, but I would def rate their smashes amongst the BEST, because they are so hard to read, are so precise and so deadly.

I prefer playing against a consistent hard hitter I can read to playing against someone who mixes it up, has good placement and smashes clever.
    The subject of this thread is about power. Not accuracy, consistency, difficulty in reading or how good the smash is etc. With that in mind, Setiawan’s smash is one of the weakest I have seen in top MDs. How effective his smash is, is a different topic of discussion – which as I’ve said before, is quite effective.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who said this was about speed? The thread title says WEAK, and a weak smash can't be one that's scoring a lot of points....it has to be both slow and kind of predictable, and Setiawan still produces good speed when he really puts his all into it...if it were really slow, his cross smashes would get countered as are those of weaker smashers, yet he almost always scores a direct point with them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast