Players with WEAK smashes!

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by *___*, Dec 17, 2013.

1. *___*

*___* Regular Member

All this talk of players with big smashes bla bla.

How about players who have made it to the top of the game without having a killer smash?

Doubles primarily.

Go!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hm. not many players have killer smashes. but most have decent ones.

as for weak smasher, Misaki Matsutomo comes to mind. her smartness and placement makes up for it though. and her partner covers the rear court more often. she has very sharp reading of where to pressure and place the shuttle when she is at the front. very interesting actually if you look closely at what she comes up with.

3. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Yes, maybe I should have worded it slightly differently. A below average smash perhaps.

Just think it's an interesting way of discussing the game.

Chris Adcock plays more drop shots than any player I can think of right now.

Obviously for containment and control of the rally, but I don't think his smash is particularly powerful when compared to other men in XD.

4. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

Funny because KKK comes into my mind immediately :D

5. markuswair

markuswair Regular Member

Student
    Liliyana Natsir perhaps. It is indisputable she's currently the most brilliant playmaker in XD. Her placing is always brilliant. Yet, her smash is not powerful, albeit it is not a big deal so long as she could maintain being in the front court and Owi in the rear court.

6. bal-bal

bal-bal Regular Member

PNS
    tommy sugiarto, alamsyah yunus??
    I don't think they have great smash

7. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Most XD female players - like Ma Jun.

8. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    i agree with kwun,i thnk it is misaki matsutomo n goh liu ying for ladies.for man,i wud go for adcock n nguyen tien min

9. AidenWrenPierce

AidenWrenPierce Regular Member

Lee Hyun Il. I know he has brilliant defence but lacks power and punch in his smash when compared with LD LCW TH PG ect...

10. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Never seen koo smash and win,

11. ssshk

ssshk New Member

Finance
    zhang nang from China...

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah I agree on that - while Zhang Nan may not smash as much as others, he can get it down pretty hard when he has time and wants to. Adcock has a pretty entertaining smash - shouting at the top of his lungs, leaping up, and then.....that tame smash.
    Especially funny as I was watching the AE XD QF of Ko/Kim vs Kolding/Ritter-Juhl while reading this, and at one point Gill and Morten commented how a winning smash of Kolding didn't have much power because he concentrated on the angle - turned out it was 243km/h, faster than 95% of Adcock's all-out smashes where he shouts like he wants to put it through his opponent :D

13. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Another player that springs to mind is German Johannes Schoettler.

An absolute giant (in badminton terms) so you'd expect him to have a cannon of a smash, but it's usually Fuch's who dictates the play from rear court with his smashing.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, one glance at Johannes tells you why the smashes arent so thunderous :D
    He gets good angle though, and if I'm not completely wrong his smashes are at least on par with Adcock, minus the screaming of course :D

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Setiawan? But he more than makes up for it in placement and accuracy.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

He may not have the hardest, but his smash is far from weak....it's nearly unbelievable how many points he scores with unexpected placement (mostly cross). A weak smash is one that's easily/often countered or almost never gets an advantage. My favorite example, Adcock, often loses the angle when he tries to smash real hard, and since it isn't that hard by elite standards (mostly 40-50k slower than the best in the world), it's a good countering opportunity. Schoettler is on the verge imop, as he often gets good angle, but rarely combines it with dangerous pace and doesn't force opponents to back off as much (since they know he doesn't get them as fast).
    Nguyen Tien Minh as well, the speed of his smashes isn't that bad, but they're predictable, have no real angle and he also tends to play one at the wrong time.

For singles players, it's often more important to have good disguise, i.e. have nearly the same action for different shots. LCW's prime example is the straight smash from the deep forehand corner, it looks just the same as his favorite shot, the sliced cross smash/half smash, and only the fastest players or those with great anticipation (such as LD) can defend against it regularly when he gets a slightly short lift there.
    LD has an insanely deceptive overhead. Nearly impossible to read by now, so much variation....same for his play around the net, where he needs barely any racket movement to play very different shots.

Sorry for going of on a tangent there :D

17. 100minus

100minus Regular Member

during super series final last year at kl cheras stadium got to watch the players really close from the side angle the player i really noticed with weak smash was sudket (thai xd) almost looked like hes never hitting the sweetspot but in the game they still manage to beat tontowi-liliyana (i believe was because of malaysian crowd support and also tontowi had been seen eating at the pizza hut kiosk just before the match)

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Huh. Don't really believe the crowd factors in THAT strongly, but eating pizza before the match (especially Pizza Hut) isn't such a great idea :D
    Sudket seems like he can rarely be bothered to really go all out, but I think he has a decent smash when he tries. His tendency to relax just a bit too much is more of a problem.
    Since we're on the topic of XD - is it just me or is Ahmad's smash really not that penetrating? Seems to me like the best he can achieve from a halfway decent lift is to get Natsir into the rally somehow, I almost never see him ending it....polar opposite from Ko/Kim in that regard :D

19. *___*

*___* Regular Member

No, I wouldn't say Setiawan's is weak. May seem weak compared to Ahsan. Similar to Cai Yun when partnered with Fu Haifeng, his smash looked weak in comparison but could hold his own.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ahsans isnt really much better, Setiawan may not hit as hard as him but has much better placement. I'd say their smashes are pretty comparable, what's working so well for them is Ahsans very fast movement where Hendra can't hold a candle to him^^