what type of knee brace do you use and why

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by yurimaster2010, Dec 18, 2013.

1. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    there so many type of knee brace rgdless to any brand.
    could you kindly share your experience on the type for knee brace that you ever used and which design is highly recommended.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends if you have any special needs. if none and you just want something to "keep the knee together", i suggest getting a simple elastic one. don't get the neoprene one but instead the cloth one. the neoprene type is not elastic enough and it restrict movement and they don't breath very well.

i usually get mine in the drug store and they cost around US$10-15 or so.

3. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    knee brace

yes there no serious injury but i could feel my knee bone was like loosen or moving so i for precaution i was using knee brace which in brown color...so was it good option for me ?
    i am concern that the elasticity may loosen after a few time of washing process...

i was inform that neoprene is a good option bcoz we need to keep the warmness to prevent further injury...was it truth..

Attached Files:

4. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    i use patella brace and those velcro type of knee support. provides ample support for the game but after the game is endless suffering. but for the love of badminton, i like it...

5. catman

catman Regular Member

I was under the impression the neoprene supports keeps the joints at a constant temperature - so you don't get the expansion and contraction associated with warming and cooling down of the body.

6. SmashAndDash

SmashAndDash Regular Member

There are many types and designs of knee braces. The type you should wear really depends on what sort of injury your knee has sustained, or the type of pain you have.

From what I understand, "cho pat" style straps have gel tubes inserted into the brace straps. When you wrap the straps tightly, the tube pushes into the tendon underneath the kneecap to stabilize the knee. The dual action strap stabilizes under the knee, and on top as well (the top strap pushes into a different area of course, and does some magic with the quads—the mechanics of which I'm not exactly sure. I need to brush up on my anatomy)

Elastic/neoprene compression sleeves work by using the elasticity of the fabric to keep your knee in place. The compression may also help reduce swelling if you have any inflammation in the area. It provides limited support, but if you have a lot of pain or instability in the knee, I'd recommend using something with more support, or seeing a medical professional.

For your question on "warmness", neoprene is a good insulator. If you keep a knee sleeve on during and after warm-up (and between matches during a tournament), you may keep the joint "warmer" than if you went without. Keeping the body warm during physical activities helps reduce injuries.

However, it's also a good idea to cold down slowly, and ice any areas that are sore/injured after play. Ex. Warm-up for ~15-20 minutes before play. Cool down ~15-20min after last match (walk it off, slow stretches, etc.). Then ice any injuries/sore areas for ~15-20min. To ice, I like to fill a ziploc bag 3/4th full with crushed ice, then add some water to the bag. I then take the bag, wrap it in a thin kitchen towel, and use the towel and a thick rubber band to strap down the ice pack to where I need. This way I can ice an area for a long period of time comfortably, and without damaging the skin.

From experience:

I was playing a tournament at a gym with really hard floors (I'm used to playing on wood, slippery, but not so hard on the joints) and borrowed my brother's patella strap for the day:
    http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-414-Jumpers-Knee-Strap/dp/B000UVVY0Y

Decent support, and wasn't very obtrusive.

After the tournament, I developed some irregular knee pain. The athletic trainer at my college campus says it's mainly because I haven't stretched my quad enough, so it's causing some knee instability. Right now I wear a different brace whenever I play, or if I wake up with a stiff/sore knee. It's comfortable/easy to wear, and any knee pain usually goes away as soon as I put it on.

http://www.amazon.com/Cho-Pat-Action-Strap-Medium-Inch-16/dp/B000QRG970/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc