What the correct breathing technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yurimaster2010, Dec 18, 2013.

1. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    How to slow down our breathing to maintain better stamina level during a high tempo matches or during rubber sets...

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

in, out, in, out, in, out...

3. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I once held my breath and sprinted as much as I could and I almost collapsed... I don't why I did it, but I did it...

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    should one use the mouth or the nose to breath?

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Get better stamina first, then the breathing (and heart rate) will be easier to control.

So cardiovascular exercise is the way to build stamina. I'm no trainer but would imagine that running would be best, especially if you mix it up with interval sprints.

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

interval sprints will definitely help with stamina issues. another thing to add to this is on court footwork drills. i find that normal types or running/sprinting would only help with the heart, but it doesn't help as much with my legs, but if you want to last longer on court, learn approrpiate footwork and drill it and see how long you can last before you need a break.

i also agreed with what Fidget mentioned about breathing, when you have better stamina, your breathing will naturally becomes easier to control that you won't need to think about it.

7. gundamzaku

working professional
    personally as a rule of thumb, the more air i take in the better, so i always use my mouth if i think. especially during the winter when i find my lips all chapped is probably because i breathe with my mouth most of the time, especially playing singles.

8. catman

catman Regular Member

Breathe in through the nose - breathe out through the mouth.
    Breathe out - when hitting - this how grunting started in tennis - coaches told the kids grunt so they can tell they were breathing out - when hitting....I guess Sharpova and Azerenka took it to another level.

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This has been discussed in much detail in earlier threads as well. [MENTION=47032]MSeeley[/MENTION] had also made significant contributions to this discussion. Just a quick interjection- anaerobic training is best suited for badminton. And not HIT, but Fartlek-type training is much, much better. HIT allows for extended recovery time and is suitable for sprinters etc, but badminton requires quick and constant recovery between points, and this is why Fartlek-style training is mch better.

Again, improve core strength. this provides stability and allows more accessible control of your breathing when you need it the most. Hope this helps.

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

this is bare nonsense!

11. catman

catman Regular Member

It works try it

12. gundamzaku

working professional
    could it work for tennis because there's so much time between shots? not doubting yet since i'm going to try to see if this really works :) at the same time i wonder if the breathing out when placing a shot would work...very interesting concept :)

13. catman

catman Regular Member

The reason they ask you to breathe out when hitting is to relax the body. As you know tension in the muscles makes the hit weaker. You can try a quick experiment - hold you breath and feel the tension in your body, then release the breath and compare the body tension - when holding the breath and not holding your breath.
    Also many martial arts they say to breathe out when punching - I believe it's the same reason.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Yes, in Kendo, they yell like hell when making a strike.

[video=youtube;i9PBLhaYodY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9PBLhaYodY[/video]